P/I/P Rapids @ TFC, CCL 6 pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    D'oh. Maybe that's why he signed without much fanfare.

2. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That deserved red. Possibly 10 yards and a first down.

3. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice save by McMath!

Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  4. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A game so uneventful there are only 3 minutes of stoppage in the second half.

5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Big collision, Badji and Bono going for an aerial.

6. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Digging the Subbuteo banner behind our goal

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 preseason games against MLS competition, 1 goal

AlbertCamus, 22SteveD and RapidStorm repped this.
  8. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still can’t understand why the first 3 signings were not to address this exact forward problem. This is beyond ground hogs day as the main line up hole.

COMtnGuy, RapidStorm and JasonMa repped this.
  9. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Rapids' 2018 CCL Recap: We were there.

10. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't expecting much out of the CCL. Basically, that was an extension of the preseason

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Terrible game... Not going to beat Tigers playing like this

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering we're not playing Tigres I don't see the problem...

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was pointing out Toronto but man...Colorado was just as bad

14. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Eh - I thought we maintained possession and had them on their heels the entire game.

Obviously we couldn’t finish but I thought the team absolutely controlled the field against the best MLS team in history.

Striker needed? Of course.

But, let’s calibrate our expectations a bit.

SccrDon, AlbertCamus and Andy126 repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody here cares how TFC looks.

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They looked just as bad as Colorado.

17. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take it.

The team that recently woke up from a triple bypass, lung, liver, and brain transplant (and is still waiting for it's scoring prosthesis) just played a respectable match against the Adonis of the MLS.

18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    That's basically what Huson's philosophy seems to be. Can't say it's a bad one either given the short amount of time the Rapids had to prepare with a new coach, players, etc.

Hard for me to judge the play of the Rapids without having watched. Of course not being able to score at all against MLS level competition is a big issue. It will be interesting to see how things progress with the inclusion of Aigner and Morgan. I would add Gashi, but who knows what's up with his health and fitness? When's the last time he played in a match of any sort?

Ten days till NE for the MLS opener. Hope Aigner will be able to play at the least.

19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

20. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    The part that Boniface is responding to didn't come out for me. here's what it was:

Grant Wahl tweet; quotes a guy quoting Hudson from the postgame, then comments on it:

Hudson: "This was a preseason game for us."
    Wahl's comment: "Hell of a first impression from Anthony Hudson. Bush league comment."

Was Wahl talking about Hudson's or his own?

JasonMa repped this.
  21. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the first half was pretty good. We certainly showed some fight and spunk and kinda traded punches with them in the first half as far as scoring chances. Second half I thought we faded considerably and they had more scoring chances and we were just barely hanging on over the final 25 minutes. MacMath was better than Howard. Two nice low diving saves that I think Howard might have been scored on. Badji with a couple more decent scoring chances, but also some ugly fouls (should have picked up a second yellow and been ejected). In fact, I think Kortne Ford could easily have been shown a red as well for his tackle of Giovinco. Ford was pretty bad several times - poor basic defending / clearances - but then he had a few decent clearances and slide tackles. He's just very inconsistent, but hey, only 22 years old. Wilson and Smith seem quite solid, but I thought it was strange how often one of Smith, Wilson, or Ford would make little attacking forays and lost shape in the back. The other thing that really confounded me tactically was Wynne as the left wing-back and Blomberg occupying too much of that space way too often. I didn't like Blomberg's play overall. His spacing seemed off - defended a tad less than McBean (who shadowed Bradley again) and just seemed to not cover much ground and didn't create space well. Price is good - some sharp through ball passes, good passing, decent free kicks / corner kicks. Willing to defend and foul (occasional ugly fouls). Hairston just decent - didn't see enough of the ball in my opinion. Enzo Martinez arguably the most active and involved player in both legs - guy has a great motor and likes to rip shots from distance and yet I feel like we still don't have that creative attacking center mid type. Badji finds his way to create scoring opportunities... but... finishing still lacking it seems. I think McBean has some decent skill with back toward goal, showed more hustle - but should be a bench player. The sub of Castillo for Blomberg was weird. Castillo just didn't seem comfortable as a center mid pushed towards the left a bit. I almost wonder if Serna would have fit better at that spot. Nana was better there than Blomberg or Castillo, but still not great. What I do like about our team is fight, hustle, grit - but isn't that our strong point from the last several years - a team that is tough, hustles, scraps, tugs, pulls, plays with heart, etc.? I just don't see an improvement in any attacking talent. I mean, I guess we'll see more crosses whipped in from the wing-backs, headers in the box, and some shot chances from outside the 18 because of quick counters or taking advantage of mistakes after high pressure, but I wish we had some players than could generate authentic attacking creativity, passing sequences that lead to a goal, etc. but doesn't look like that's who we are. Not my prefered style, but I do think the coach has the players on board and working hard - so maybe this style of play will yield some results. First game vs. New England should allow us to get at least a point - I don't rate them as a good team.

Andy126 repped this.
  22. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh, Didn't Hudson mouth off about taking CCL seriously/ we're going to win upon his hiring? We change out the characters but it's still the same song and dance.

Dom. FC and Sal Paradise repped this.
  23. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    #49 Soaker888, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    I saw the game intermittently while dealing with dinner. The team looked more consistent throughout save the final 20 minutes when we seemed to bunker and lose attacking ability. I preferred Boateng in there vs Blomberg and Castillo. Ford-Smith-Wilson better, ...Wynne not as much, at D or wingback. Mcmath over Howard should be a consideration. Shots on goal were good to see but most pretty much right at Bono or an easy reach The build up to chances seemed opportunistic and not as deliberate as one might hope. This is easy to see when playing TOR and watching their movement, passing, and build-up. Hopefully we're seeing an evolving and gelling attack that has greater potential than we see right now. But with Badji (who may be at his ceiling) and McBean up top... I kinda doubt that. For me a better 11 would be:
    McMath
    Ford - Smith - Wilson
    Hairston - Castillo
    Aigner - Price - Boateng
    Gashi - Mason

But this is a disturbing fact:

Independiente and Andy126 repped this.
  24. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he? I don't recall that. If he had, I would have called BS. Anyone who thought we were gonna go from last season to winning this should be ignored.

IndyRapids04 and Rod1916 repped this.