P/I/P, Playoff Match 1: Revs @ ATL, 10/19/2019 1:00pm

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Oct 16, 2019.

1. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was the wrong kind of Ivy league. Bradley liked Princeton Men, and Arena favored Cornell. Brown had no chance with 'em............. ;)

2. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    He has four caps to his name according to Wikipedia.

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs were the only team to get shut out in this round of the playoffs (although DC took until second half stoppage time to get on the board).

4. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few random thoughts:
    The Revs played quite well. It was a very entertaining game. They missed some chances; especially when Penilla was doing his 47 step overs on the left hand side of the box and Bou is all alone on the right hand side. I thought he had a passing lane, but you have to look up to see it!!

I was very happy to see the yellow card on Martinez for diving. I hate diving, play the game. I have always felt that if there was more scoring in soccer, like 4 to 3 final scores, that there would be less of a "need" to dive. I could be wrong.

I like Teal much better now that we have Bou. His effort is nonstop. His weakness was always his inability to score. If Teal's expected goals for the month was 4, you know he only had 1 goal. By having a scorer like Bou, I think it allows the Revs to play Teal, to take advantage of his hustle.

I was very happy that Jones started, he played well. I like most of the core group of guys. We need a couple of upgrades in the mid-field, otherwise, I think we have a competitive team. It will be very interesting to see the personal moves that BA makes this winter. I'm looking forward to next year.

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The best all-time Revs keeper is, and probably always will be, Zenga. He was not far off the form that made him the best keeper in the world a few years earlier.

But, Turner is very good and still improving - and had a terrific season.

-------------

- wonder what the deal was with starting Caldwell over Caicedo? That seemed an odd move, since Arena seemed to prefer Caicedo all season - and I think almost anyone would agree was clearly a better player. Hopefully it was a fitness issue, rather than anything else. And, if so, that was unfortunate.
    - to me, it was fitting that our best chance of the game fell to Agudelo - and as is his fashion, managed to just miss it. To me, the guy just continues to disappoint.
    - I think our back 4 did very well - they had to cope with a lot of turnovers in middle that sprung AU quickly onto the attack.
    - Larentowicz was pretty key in springing quick counters with his midfield steals. He was physically able to over power Caldwell and Gil. In fact, clearly part of AU's plan was to throw two guys at Caldwell when he had the ball at this feet.
    - Penilla's bid was a sure goal if it was a little higher. Generally it's hard to keep the ball down when going for power from distance, but in this case it was a bit too low.
    - I thought Diego did okay when we came in, but between Agudelo/Fagundez/Caicedo our attacking subs didn't seem likely to concern Atlanta.

Tough to see Parkhurst go down the way he did. Those of us who followed the Revs when he was here are very familiar with his history of shoulder problems. Likely a storybook ending to his career has been spoiled. Still, he'll go out with his head high, proud of his accomplishments, a trophy in the case and a class act every step of the way.

A Casual Fan, tsb11 and Jon Martin repped this.
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Very proud of the Revs performance. By FAR the best 90 minutes they have ever played against Atlanta.

My seat is in the 3rd row beside the Atlanta supporters as the game went on they weren't quite as loud and vocal as I have heard them in the past - there was a little bit of nervousness as the home town team wasn't able to create as many chances as usual and the Revs did not give up. This was not the Revs from 6 months ago, and this was not a typical #7 seed. The Revs did themselves proud.

So looking forward to this offseason. And next season. For the first time in a long time I have expectations for this club.

teskicks, Doublecard and ToMhIlL repped this.
  8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They wer only the #7 seed because they lost 8 of their first 12 games. In reality, they were more like the 3-4 best team in the east. I didn't expect them to beat a team like Atlanta, but if they were up against any of the other eastern playoff teams, I like their chances

This offseason will be interesting, and I haven't had this much optimism about this team in years!

pwykes repped this.
  9. asctester

asctester Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Apr 2, 2018
    Witch City, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the final regular season game against Atlanta, Caicedo was a red card waiting to happen. I love Luis Caicedo, but I understand why he did not get the start this weekend.

Atlanta players were fishing for cards all game. They may have been able to trick the ref into giving one against Caicedo.

As it turned out, I thought the ref did a good job of letting the players play and calling the Martinez dive.

teskicks and frankieg73 repped this.
  10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Well, they had the opportunity to get a significantly better seed if they could have won a game or two in September. I'm kind of disappointed that the team went pretty flat for a long stretch - but, since Arena came aboard, I never felt like it was about this year, so I'm not very disappointed by the early exit.
    I've heard that ever since he arrived, yet how many reds has he gotten?

I looked it up - it will surprise people: zero. He hasn't even had that many yellows - 6 this year, 11 last year.

He looks pretty reckless at times, but I think he's a lot savvier that people give him credit for. I think the reason for the switch must be something different. Maybe one of the crack journalists will crack the Revs version of the Malcom Butler head-scratcher!

Feldspar repped this.
  11. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Yep! All under Bob between 2011 and 2012. He got 2 january camps (and played in both of them) and a september call up where he made a substitute appearance against Belgium in Belgium!

12. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    They also only won twice after July. I feel like bottom of the playoff race is an appropriate finish

13. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the end of the day, this season went from an absolute disaster to an extremely pleasant surprise with a lot to look forward to in a future with highly raised expectations. They may have flattened out and had far more ties than we would have liked in August and September, but they also went from mid-May to the end of the season losing only to the top 3 teams in the league in league play/playoffs. Counting Open Cup play, after Friedel was fired they played 25 meaningful games and lost only 5. This should be the most interesting off-season since the contraction draft. For now, I guess we root for Philly to win MLS Cup so we can qualify for Leagues Cup!

BUSA Bulldog repped this.