P/I/P: OCSC @ Revs, 3/11: GAME POSTPONED

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got one from the Riders already too. This is odd because the team is usually good with email communications.

2. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I know this is a a particularly harsh cold snap for March, but if I were running the Revs, I think I'd lobby for the team to play its first three games each season on the road. I know that comes with some risk. Still, makes sense to wait until March is going out like a lamb rather than in like a lion.

rkupp and BERich repped this.
  3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this has been posted yet but a MLSSoccer.com article previewing the Minnesota Utd game which is playing as scheduled this weekend, listed the 4 coldest matches in league history.

According to that article, the coldest MLS game ever was a 20 degree game played on 12/7/2013 between DC and SKC.

Another source said it was 22 degrees, so give/take. However, that list doesn't seem right to me - I feel like the revs alone have had 3 or 4 colder games in their history.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing they're going by game time temps, and we haven't had anything that bad.

5. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Here's the Revs doing the right thing for a fan, due to postponement-

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There goes the third DP! ;)

Great move by BB.

7. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kudos to BB for this. Very good move.

8. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got notified
    - on Facebook
    - Twitter
    - Instagram
    - Phone message left at my house
    - Phone call to my desk at work
    - Email

Feldspar and Andy_B repped this.
  9. Bradman

Bradman Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We have been lucky for NE weather last two springs. Absolutely should be on the road until the first week of April. Yes, it can still snow, but 0-10 degrees all but impossible.

I would guess (with zero facts) as they struggle to get 10K bodies inside the stadium early, the league was terrified to play in front of 1,200 even if they sold/distributed 15K. It would have been like a late 90s KC Wiz game on a weeknight.

This was not a historic opening night like the other "extreme" cold weather game this weekend. Good call by the Revs.

TOAzer repped this.
  10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canceling the day before, people will still show up then wonder why no one is there - guaranteed.

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's notable too is the positive response by fans on Twitter and all over social media. Goes to show we're not all a bunch of NNNs after all and do acknowledge when the club does something right.

a517dogg repped this.
  12. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, the FO is still full of baby-punchers.

13. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We all know some babies have it coming.

Feldspar repped this.
  14. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, what I'm about to write is nothing but a venting of frustration. Every new season I wait and wait for MLS to return and every season, in different ways shapes and forms, the Rev's get off to slow starts and barely cause a whimper to announce their return. This is either on field performance, a Western away game opener, an early bye, or not ever being a part of the league's opening-to-the-season conversation. There are also other sundry reasons that always manage to conspire. This year it was a loss in Denver, followed by a canceled home opener and now on deck is another far off road game by a very formidable opponent which pushes the actual home opener and chance at our first 3 point grab off to the 25th. Yep, things are pretty much as usual! It's March 13th and some teams have 6 points already while we have nothing, nada, goose egg. :( There is a good likelihood that we will sit at zero points after next weekend, when some teams will have 9.

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So ... basically where we normally are at this point? ;)

Minutemanii repped this.
  16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What could they have done with the weather this weekend? Was anyone really disappointed and thought they should have played? Of course, the schedule-makers should have had us playing IN Orlando this week and home week 3, but in the words of the great philosopher Tony Soprano, "Whaddayagonnado?"

17. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should have played. Yes it was cold, yes the wind chill made it colder, but I think many of us have been at Revs games/games in Foxboro in cold, wind, snow and rain that were far more uncomfortable and dangerous than Saturday ended up being.

18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if you believe the MLS record keepers. Of the top 4 coldest ever MLS games, none were below 20 degrees / took place in Foxboro. The NFL on the other hand, well they routinely have frigid cold/windy games each year. Different crowd, different experience.

19. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I know is I've driven to Foxboro for Revs and Pats games in pounding rainstorms and blinding snowstorms, and I've been in those stands freezing my ass off, drenched to the bone, hiding from lightning and God knows what else (including extreme heat in the summer, and in my opinion I'd rather play in the cold than the heat). Saturday I could have layered up, had some hand warmers and feet warmers and a hot chocolate or two and been just fine. And I've certainly been outside freezing my butt off at countless youth games. Their decision was inline with some decisions made by others (such as cancelling most of the two GPS tournaments over the last two weeks), and if they were doing it for player safety reasons, OK. But, my opinion, they could/should have played the game as scheduled. At the same time, it doesn't bother me that much. Just my observation.

20. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game got moved to August, right? How is that not a good thing? The Revolution pre-season doesn't end til June. You're going to get one additional "regular" season game than planned.

21. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sept. 2nd.

22. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they'll probably have Kaka.

23. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just in time for our summer swoon...

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it depends on the reasoning for cancelling. I remember many years ago, the Patriots were supposed to play their opening game in Miami on Labor Day weekend. But there was a hurricane, which caused all kinds of havoc in Southern Florida, and there was no way they could have the game there. They had 2 options:
    1. Switch the home games and play at Foxboro, and later in the year play in Miami on the original Pats home date
    2. Not play at all, and give both teams their bye week, and have them play the game in Miami on the week they were supposed to have off.
    Parcells (yes, it was that long ago) wanted to keep the team's momentum going and play in Foxboro. I think Miami also preferred this option. But from a business point of view, lots of Pats STH were not planning on being around that weekend and would not be able to make the game. It was extra work on short notice to get everything game ready. The business side won and they took the bye week before the season even started.

Who knows if this was a "business" decision by the Revs. Certainly, for soccer reasons, the Revs would have been favored over the Kaka-less team from Florida, but we've seen all too well how that doesn't always work out. Surely there would have been a lot of no-shows and a small crowd for the home opener, and they would have had to pay a crew extra to come in and shovel out the stands, so there's that.

In any case, it isn't a big deal for me. What can you do about the weather? But if they rescheduled a game because they wanted to use the stadium for a private birf-day party for one of the Kraft family because Elton John or the Rolling Stones were only available on the Revs game day, yes, then I would have a problem with that. :whistling:

25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why didn't the revs do this? Orlando would have been fine to switch I bet. Liverpool did this with Burnley earlier this year when their new Main Stand wasn't ready. It worked out fine for both clubs. Maybe the logistics are easier given Burnley isn't very far from Liverpool but surely Orlando would sell the game out regardless?