P/I/P: NYCFC @ Revs, March 24th

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 16, 2018.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have Ring, Mataritta and Wallace called up so far. Ring is arguably our most important player, but we are deep. Early season, couple call ups, at home....this is the best situation for the Revs to face us.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did you switch to NYCFC?

4. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 FoxBoro 143, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    It's a little blurry. I had given up on the Revs several times from 2006 to 2014 due to the lack of ambition. I continued following them mainly because I had friends that still went to games.
    When NYCFC was announced in 2013, I was on the fence for a while. I was fed up with the Revs and here was a team in my native new York, partnered with my Yankees and showing tons of ambition that I knew would never come from the Revs.
    I still followed the Revs, but even less enthusiastically through the 2014 Season even though I had put deposits down on NYCFC season tickets. I decided after the 2014 Season that I truly had lost any passion for the Revs, and my brother who had moved back to NYC was excited about the new team. So I jumped over for good.
    Had NYCFC not come along, I'd probably very passively follow the Revs now, if at all. It hasn't been as exciting as I hoped, but I'm overall much happier with NYCFC.

I posted in this thread because I'm still "subscribed" to this forum and saw the alert for this thread. I spent a lot of years on this board, going through some great years on the field and commiserating about the off the field struggles, so I came back to see the old gang!

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very cool. Was just wondering.

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are the types of situations where the Revs have not historically taken advantage of

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually the revs fail when they're expected to win and vice versa. This means the revs will win this weekend.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    976142959988105216 is not a valid tweet id

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes I'll go to the other team's board just to hear what they are saying about the game, but there was one thread for all of their games, and it had 2 posts in it, having to do with previous games. Not a whole lot of activity over there...

12. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    In spirit of full disclosure -

I'm still waiting for the point where the fun part begins with the Revs.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to gravitate towards the closest difference-maker, geographically speaking. I need something inspiring/exciting/compelling on the pitch to watch.

13. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Big soccer decided to wait until about the start of the first season to create the NYCFC forum. By then an independent forum already had two years of history and a good user base. I don't even check the one here because it's just one or two posters, who are active on the independent site I think, just creating simple content.
    Big soccer needs to find a way to gain quality new posters. Nearly all of the quality posters have been here forever, while we only seem to recruit new troll after troll

TOAzer repped this.
  14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a hint........not MLS.

15. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I'm stumped.

A soccer difference maker (i.e., MLS Best 11 or 22 or even 33 caliber) closer to Boston than Villa at NYCFC who isn't in MLS?

Another hint please...

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I think Brad has figured it out....."and it’s the phrase coach uses — is being brave on the ball and confident playing out of the back." With Klinsmann it was "express yourself" with Brad its "being brave on the ball" I just never knew coaching was that easy. Keep that in mind boys vs NYC ... if they let you even touch the ball :rolleyes:

a517dogg repped this.
  18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there's something to be said for all of that, how the "little" things make a difference in terms of attitude and professionalism. They all seem to be saying the right things, but I hope this translates to results on the field.

19. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have coached kids on an amateur level since 2003. I don't know much but one thing I do know about coaching soccer is that game plans, scripted plays and to a lesser extent formations count for almost nothing. The key is teaching fundamentals and skills to those players lacking, utilizing the individual skill sets of the team you've been given to optimize your ability to control the game and also not to expose your weaknesses. Also, teach your team to be brave and resolved to never give up. Then pretty much you stand back and let the chips fall where they may. It's a horribly helpless feeling when you know you are outmatched and it's a delicious feeling when you know you have better quality than the other team and you smell that blood!

Jon Martin and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Catching NYCFC at the right time?

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Excuse already baked in - if the Revs win, it will have been because NYC was undermanned. No-win situation. ;)

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can make all the excuses they want as long as we get the 3 points!

dncm and BrianLBI repped this.
  25. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    If you are headed to game today, be sure to help out Boston Childrens Hospital with a donation of new or gently used soccer equipment.

Make a point to do it, it only takes a few minutes to grab that stuff in your garage that you haven't touched in a few years, or that your kids have outgrown.

Thanks everyone.

dncm repped this.