P/I/P NER @ ORL, Sun July 31, 7:30p ET

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jul 26, 2016.

1. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The silver lining to last nights second half, is that the Revs looked pretty dangerous with a Kamara and Davies up top.

I'm really starting to think Lee is our weakest link going forward, all he does is spread the ball out wide, and the wide players do all the hard work. There is no threat from him on the top of the box, and thus the defense can focus on the striker. This lack of production and constant wide play also opens up our defense as Farrell and Tierney are pretty much forced to ALWAYS go forward. I love attacking outside backs, but we send them up so much that they are running out of gas in the second half, or just getting caught out of position with a bad pass.

Sit Lee, play 2 up top, but one of the strikers falls back to receive the ball, keep the defense guessing who falls back and who goes forward. Kamara and Davies are both more dynamic than Lee. Keep the outside backs home more often.

2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27 RevsLiverpool, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Agreed. There's a difference between an ex-player with a coaching license and a legitimate coach. As a Liverpool fan I can see the difference already with Jurgen Klopp. Or, if you watched Euro, Hodgson's England national individuals losing to Iceland's national TEAM.

Indeed, what is Iceland's NT coach up to these days? We need someone who can get far less talent to be much more formidable together - as a team.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  3. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Agree. I wouldn't be surprised to see his picture on a milk carton soon.

Two years ago, my picture of the Revs was them regaining possession, passing to Nguyen and him turning up field with speed to lead the attack. I can't remember that happening once this game.

I like Kamara and how much he impact he has on the game even when he doesn't score, but to my eye Nguyen has really become passive lately

4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lee is like Jones, he plays best with a chip on his shoulder and a fire in his belly. He came back to MLS in 2012 with the primary goal of getting back in the NT picture. He played like a man on fire in 2014 in order to get that opportunity, but when he finally got his chance, it's been limited and lacking the same quality. This has to be frustrating for him. Two years later, with Klinsmann still in charge it almost seems Lee has made peace with not being in the NT picture and is happy to coast in MLS, collect his healthy paycheck and live comfortably.

I think there is a correlation between not getting NT opportunities and playing passively in MLS, almost taking his starting role for granted. He's not being pushed here - Lee is a lock starter for the revs and he knows it. Why put in the extra effort?

Heaps (or someone) needs to light a fire under him and get him back on that 2014 tilt again.

Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  5. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see if they could get a top notch CB for Lee.

6. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ive been the biggest Lee supporter there ever was in the past. I can't support him anymore. My only question at this point has he gotten lazy or is he doing exactly what Heaps is telling him to do? Puts Lee in a bad position if hes following orders.

I agree with the post quoted. Lee is offering nothing these days. Sit him, play two forwards, get someone in there that is willing to go at people, not safe pass all the time. Maybe this will wake Lee up .... that is unless hes doing as instructed. If that's the case..... fire Heaps

7. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Best way to light a fire under Lee is to bench him for a couple games. Revs have enough talent to do it as well; whether starting two strikers, or the same formation with the front four of Kamara backed by Tierney, Rowe and Diego (Bunbury benched too, Watson at left back, Koffie/Caldwell in the middle).

RevsLiverpool and Feldspar repped this.
  8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after I watched this again I saw the same thing. About 35 yards out you can see Teal stop tracking back with Larin. I think Farrell expected him to stay with Larin. Terrible communication

teskicks repped this.
  9. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is exactly what I saw too. At the time Farrell made the decision to help Woodberry Teal was tracking Larin. As soon as Farrell moved inside Teal stopped.

10. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It remind me a lot of last years game in Orlando. We had a great first have and where up 2-0 and it looked like it was going to be a 4 -0 or 5 - 0 game, but in the second half we where dominated and a bit lucky to get out of there with a 2-2 draw.