P/I/P NER @ CAR, Wed Jun 15, 7:30p ET (USOC)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jun 8, 2016.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knighton
    Smith-JoGo-Woodberry-McCrary
    Caldwell-Herivaux
    Fagundez-Rowe-Agudelo
    Femi

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a Revs Open Cup game so there has to be a delay. Lightning currently and it looks like the storm might stick for a while.

3. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh... I thought the Lightning played in Tampa Bay.

4. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do actually like this lineup. I think it's an appropriate mix of the old and the new, and I'm eager to see what Herivaux looks like over 90 minutes. Not to mention McCrary. That's a draft pick that so far looks like a miss.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They made us go to our cars. We waited there, hoping there'd be no lightning, till 9, then gave up.

So now I'm watching it on TV.

Good luck Revs fans. I hope y'all come in 2nd place in this match.

6. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This announcer is driving me bananas. Sacker, shaat, he shaat the baal! Shaddup!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for tradition but I've had enough of these 5 hour Open Cup matches due to thunder and lightening storms :devilish:

BrianLBI repped this.
  8. fundip

fundip Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Heaps is wearing a Nike Polo and Nike pants. Kinda weird when you get all the free Adidas apparel you could ever want...

9. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabulous save by Nighten to seal the win. I am not sure Bobby makes that reaction save.

10. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exciting game. Good to get a win, even if it probably means a loss on Saturday. Herivaux was fantastic -- not just the goal, but he made a ton of timely defensive interventions. McCrary looked decent, though he was practically dead at the end of 90 minutes.

Caldwell again the best player in a Revs uniform.

11. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    What a fantastic game from Herivaux. Saving tackle on a sure goal; multiple key blocks and interceptions, and then the goal to win it. Incredible.
    McCrary clearly ran out of steam. Too bad about Smith's hamstring but it was very stark how much better we looked with Tierney in there. Nguyen, Agudelo and Fagundez were just on another level. Knighton's distribution was awful and almost coughed up a goal chasing a cross and msising, but he earned his money in the last 5 minutes of the game.
    And the announcers couldn't even pronounce names correctly ("McCreery", "Angulo") or get basic stats right ("Kamara has five goals since his trade to New England! He's been on fire!").

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  12. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to finally see McCrary, but didn't see any hidden gem there - very much a work in progress. Smith looked like the 2015 & earlier Smith, not the one we saw earlier this season. He may still be recovering from that recent knock.

Disappointed we couldn't get a goal earlier in this match w/o Lee and Kamara out there. Rowe was Rowe. I thought that Caldwell was his usual "tidy" self - but shouldn't he be able to impose himself more against a lower division side?

Herivaux was a pleasant surprise.

Barnes was conspicuous by his absence.

Nice game for Knighton.

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. I don't think all the players in MLS named Kamara have scored 5 goals combined since then. I had an exchange with some Crew fans where I argued we got the better Kamara, and then their guy scored the next game. And then there's the guy who plays for DC. How could he possibly get a stat like that so wrong?

a517dogg repped this.
  14. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kamari is a collective. We are Kamara.

a517dogg repped this.
  15. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts:

Herivaux was tremendous. Man of the Match. A definite factor in the middle of the field all game. Made several shot stopping defensive plays and scored a nice goal which he helped create with a nice dummy before he curled in to receive the pass for his shot.

I thought Knighton was horrible. He did make that late game save but the rest of the game he looked bad. Distribution was awful. His footwork was bad. He looked especially bad on that cross he tried for and missed by a mile.

Caldwell, as stated above, was his normal steady self. He did make several pinpoint through passes that created opportunities.

Agudelo, or should I say "Agulo" played very well.

Smith was disappointing as was Kamara.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Lemieux's Previeux:

BrianLBI repped this.
  17. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the strong starting line-up, I was expecting the Revs to blow them out of the water, but it didn't really happen until the A+ subs came on, and even then we never looked like a team from a higher division.

I'm happy we won, but its hard to take many positives other than Herivaux.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    He had an accent, I didn't have a problem (I had college teammates who sounded pretty similar). He actually gave the Revs a LOT of respect - repeatedly saying what the Railhawks could/could not afford to do against a "higher-level" side, and heaped a lot of praise on a lot of Revs: Heaps, Nguyen, Kamara, Tierney, ...
    These games rarely work out that way. MLS teams generally have a very tough time putting these teams away.

Probably a lot of it is psychological: for the lower-level team, this is the marquee game of their season - where MLS coaches are seeing them play; in a sense, a free trial (Connolly Edozian put himself on a path to a Revs roster spot in a situation just like this).

OTOH, for the Revs individual players, the game is probably more of an annoyance than anything. They know that they are rated primarily on MLS game performances and these games involve travel to off-the-beaten-path venues and then they get more agida with things like 3-hour thunderstorm delays. It's certainly a bigger deal for the guys who haven't been getting playing time, but they are handicapped by the lack of game conditioning (see McCrary).

The games are almost always closer (and lower-scoring) than one would expect - and I suspect the lower-level team is only too willing to have the game go into extra time, where conditioning can get a leg up over skill.

-----------

Nice free-kick off the crossbar by Tierney - a hair away from scoring on that one.

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full match, including the 2+ hour delay, is on Youtube:

20. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC