P/I/P: Match 9, Montreal @ Revs, 4/24, 7:30PM (ET) [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Apr 23, 2019.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish George (SoccerDoc) was lurking about to spray some philosophical fertilizer on this stinking turd of a team and liven up this board although he would be probably be at the "Tar and Feather" stage by now like everyone else by now!

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highly doubt there was that many actual fans in the seats

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It was quiet enough that we could hear the players f-bombing.

dncm repped this.
  4. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All they need to do is get the right person in the Bilello position, and everything else would flow from that.

RevsLiverpool, pwykes and NFLPatriot repped this.
  5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Bilello's number one priority is getting the new SSS, and he's doing SUCH a good job with that....

TOAzer and Khkevin repped this.
  6. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry. There's lots of stuff you were wrong about -- Shalrie's treatment in the hotel stairway was clearly a race issue.

But on the soccer in New England question? Yeah, you guys were 100% right. Kraft/Burns/Friedel are a minor league operation, and supporting this team in any foreseeable future is a grim prospect. I know you and the other NNNs wish you'd been wrong about that. We'd all be happy to have an ambitious owner who fields a team that is fun to root for. Instead, we're all suffering, with no end in sight.

Have a good weekend, my BS friends -- and sympathies in advance for Saturday night!

TOAzer and pwykes repped this.
  7. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think at least one Kraft is a little preoccupied with other matters lol

Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm my opinion you're not wrong. We've seen in the past embarrassment is the number one motivator of the Kraft family. It's just got to be the right timing. The Boston Mag article broke and JJ ends up here. Robert Kraft's lawyers are fighting like hell to keep that video private. They will do what it takes to keep their public perception and reputation intact when something really hits a nerve. If it impacts revenue they care.

a517dogg and dncm repped this.
  9. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is Soccer Doc? Is he ok? We need him here to talk us off the ledge.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to his profile page, he hasn't been on since Dec 7th. I hope he is OK. I miss him.

TOAzer repped this.
  11. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I dunno, Brad continues to give it a Herculean effort, to find a positive slant multiple times per broadcast. It's comical now, having reached the level of groveling.

His insane positive posturing, combined with him missing some of obvious calls on what's actually happening on the field - well, it's beginning to drive me rather nuts. I can barely listen to a broadcast with him on it at this point.

He's another very visible example of the "don't piss on me and tell me it's raining" thing that is so prevalent with the entire Revs presence these days.

Seriously, I just don't get how anyone is buying anything they are selling anymore. They are eyeballs deep in the "money for nothing" game at this point.

And, even if they're not laughing all the way to the bank, they are still very much heading to the bank, with lots of people's money...and in my opinion, it's unearned money.

It's almost as if there's a lot of fans who don't really pay very close attention to the product on the field, or are just outright suckers, or, aren't there for quality soccer and are happy with what they are seeing. It's really painful as a serious soccer fan to watch this dynamic play out over the course of many many years.

It is mind-boggling that all of the stakeholder segments have allowed this behavior to continue unabated for as long as it has gone on. This includes paying fans, local media, the Krafts themselves, national media, other MLS owners, Don Garber, and probably some other stakeholders who I am overlooking. It's incredibly frustrating, when it's obvious that what's being offered up by the Krafts falls far short of what other professional teams in other professional leagues are offering up.

------------------

I do like the practice facility plans. And, the players seem like nice guys, and seem to do some good community outreach/ charitable work.

12. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I suspect Hardy, along with other newer fans, don't ever stop and think about the fact that a lot of the pragmatists who are describing the problems are actually fans who were multiple year season ticket holders, or in some cases are still current season ticket holders, but who have seen all of this for what it is, and are now spending our dollars accordingly.

I think Hardy and some other new fans are still inside their own myopic perspectives, and it hasn't dawned on them that where they stand is where many others have stood, long before them.

They think they have a new angle on all of this, so I suspect it's just a matter of time before they realize it isn't the case.

TOAzer repped this.
  13. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Who are you, and what have you done with the real KapeGuy?

Sad to see this post.

14. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad to make the post. It's just a sad situation in New England.

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's now legally blind unfortunately. But his son says he's "happy and adjusting to the challenges."

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Thanks for the update. If you're still in touch with his son, pass along best wishes and let him know that people here remember and think of him.

17. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, we do. Best wishes.

18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, absolutely! I was thinking how Doc could always look at things in the most optimistic way, something that is not always easy to do. He used to say, "You can't control a lot of things, but you can control how you respond to them." A very wise man indeed!

firstshirt and BrianLBI repped this.
  19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strangely enough, when I talked to his son, I actually mentioned exactly that ... saying I know the people here miss him and hope he's well.

rkupp repped this.
  20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    George kept me up to date on the Revs while I was deployed to the desert during Iraqi Freedom. For a few weeks stretch we had little internet access. He is a class act

BrianLBI and TOAzer repped this.