P/I/P: Match 9, Montreal @ Revs, 4/24, 7:30PM (ET) [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Apr 23, 2019.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as Metallica would say "you know its sad but true"

dncm repped this.
  2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Six goals in 9 games (0.67 G/Gm)
    21 SOG (2.33/Gm) Carlos Vela also has 21 SOG in 9 games.
    16 SOG by M/Fs (1.78/Gm)
    0 SOG by Juan Agudelo this year
    0 SOG by JF Caceido this year
    13 shots by Teal Bunbury, only 1 on goal

This team is broken.

dncm and CynicRev repped this.
  3. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it wrong of me to hope that the Revs are so utterly humiliated at that match while the Krafts watch that they decide they have to do something?

RevsLiverpool and CynicRev repped this.
  4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With our luck, as part of "Charity" and all that, Chelsea gets the orders to not make us look foolish. Then Brad will take that and boast how we played the Mighty Chelsea and Did Not Look Foolish! Then he will blather on about "spirit, effort,...blah blah blah..." and we'll continue to look foolish for the rest of the season....

5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the idea that things have to get really bad before we will see any real change, but this won't be Christmas Eve, 1989 at the Ceaușescu household level of bad. The Boston Magazine spurred them into entering a coin flip in 2014, but let's face it, we would need 4 Jermaine Jones types in order to turn this team around.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  6. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but it’s probably not going to happen. If an AC Fiorentia side starring Gabriel Batistuta lets the 1996 Revs - anchored by our very own Mike Burns- off with only a 2-0 loss, no way is Chelsea going to drub us in a charity match just because they can.

7. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Oh and don't forget we will be 'that much closer to signing that mystery DP'!!

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Even in the best of times, Chelsea could toy with the Revs - but it would be poor etiquette in a friendly to humiliate your host team.

What I fear is that the Revs will suddenly play so much better in that game, then revert to their dismal form after that. That would prove that they are capable of being better, but won't under the current circumstances.

dncm repped this.
  9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have games on the Saturday's around the Chelsea game. Games that actually mean something. I'm doubting our "best" players would be around for 90 minutes. And yeah ... I'm definitely not thinking we're going to be so much better in that game.

dncm repped this.
  10. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You won’t get an argument from me about the weakness of this roster. But I really think a good coach could get a good bit more than Friedel is getting out of this team. The closer a Friedel coached team gets to the opposing goal, the less of a clue they have about what to do. The defense becomes a shambles once or twice a game minimum.

Gil seems like he is truly talented. If a good coach comes along and gets Fagundez, Penilla, our Caicedos and one of Teal/Juan playing adequately and confident in a coached plan... I don’t predict the playoffs but I do expect noticeably better than we’ve been seeing.

dncm, a517dogg, Feldspar and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the Sports Hub today, they actually spent the first 10 minutes or so of one of Zo and Bertrand's hours talking about the Revs, took at least one Revs focused call from a listener, and then ended the hour with their usual Friedel weekly call. They pretty much called out the Revs for sucking so bad. I so badly wanted to call in but wasn't in position to do so. I was glad they got called out. The Kraft family's stewardship of the Revs is what the Sullivan family's stewardship was to the Patriots.

Here is the hour if you want to bask in all its glory. https://985thesportshub.com/episode...-trading-up-in-1st-round-brad-friedel-hour-3/

NFLPatriot repped this.
  12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armchair Analyst: Around the league on a busy Wednesday night
    April 25, 2019, 12:54AM EDT
    Matthew Doyle

New England Revolution 0-3 Montreal Impact

goussoccer repped this.
  13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They honestly partially blamed the fans for not showing up and that's why the team lost.

15. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dncm repped this.
  16. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only Hardy did that and Bertrand called him out for being hypocritical on that point.

patfan1 repped this.
  17. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't expect either team's best players to be on the field for more than a half. What I think is plausible is that our starters make a respectable showing in the first half and then we find out that the end of their bench is way better than the end of our bench in the second half.
    A first half performance like that might lead Kraft to think things are OK.

18. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Is there a lick of courage in the Revs organization?

pwykes and TOAzer repped this.
  19. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would have to come from the top. I know some people beg for it, but there is no reason to believe the Krafts have any intention of selling the Revs at any point in the near future, if ever. So if/when the Krafts get tired of being an also-ran/laughing stock in this league and having a negative influence on the professional soccer market in New England, what they would need to do is fire virtually everybody associated with this team and start from the beginning. Pretty much everyone in any kind of leadership position, whether it is related to on field operations or back office, needs to be canned. The roster needs a massive turnover. They need a complete cultural overhaul.

Sadly, I have no faith that, even if they did that, they would make the right decisions on new hires.

CynicRev repped this.
  20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to make order out of chaos in the Eastern Conference
    April 25, 2019, 12:34PM EDT
    Andrew Wiebe

21. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. And resigning from the KAD ranks. The team is under-performing for Friedel -- it is bad enough that he should be fired. The performances against Atlanta and Montreal are enough -- this team is going nowhere under the current coach. And while the talent is not at the Atlanta level, there is enough talent to be getting better results -- proof is Nguyen, Rowe, Nemeth getting nothing done here under Friedel and then leaving the team and looking like decent MLS players. Agreed also on Burns and Kraft -- this is a minor league operation and it is not going to turn around under Burns/Friedel. And it seems unlikely that Kraft cares enough or knows enough to bring in better management.

dncm, Jon Martin, pwykes and 7 others repped this.
  22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all honesty, as much as we'd argue quite a bit here, I hate that rkupp and KapeGuy have gotten to this point. I think I speak for everyone else here that was put in the "other" group ... I had been hoping that we'd eventually get to the point where we'd have to admit that you guys had been right. There's no f'in happiness to see it's the opposite.

Damn, I wish the FO cared enough to see where their fan base is right now.

A Casual Fan, MM66, dncm and 10 others repped this.
  23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I hate that I'm feeling this cynical at this point. On my ride home from the game I was thinking of calling my rep and checking out after 23+ seasons. I was imagining that I'd only reconsider if they arranged a call with Mike Burns so I could unload. :ROFLMAO:

A Casual Fan, dncm, Jon Martin and 2 others repped this.
  24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I skipped the game completely, this after tailgating through the RBNY match. I love this Club, but have just hit such a frustration level with the lack of intestinal fortitude showed by the players on the field as well as the FO. Basically the only comment about change coming out of Foxboro right now is about this DP. Nothing else. It's SSDD in that front office, and that's beyond frustrating.

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a real shame that even the most optimistic people here are turning into cynical bastards like many of us! I enjoy the debate, even if we sometimes get into some serious disagreements. When someone would try to convince me that the Krafts cared and they were going to right the ship any day now, I used to always say "I hope that you are right, but I fear that I am right."

The last thing on earth I want is to be that guy who says "I told you so."

It's no fun when there's no one to argue the other side. My dad was a Brooklyn Dodger fan, and of course, just like any sports team, there were always arguments over whether Furillo was a bum, Robinson was getting too old, or whatever. Once they moved to LA, the discussion shifted. Someone would say what a bastard O'Malley was for moving the team, everyone else would agree, and after a couple of minutes of describing just how much of a bastard he is, and in what ways he should be made to pay, there'd be nothing else left to say!

I don't want to see that happen here.

KapeGuy, a517dogg and NFLPatriot repped this.