P/I/P: Match 7, Atlanta @ Revs, 4/13, 7:30PM (ET) [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Based upon the comments that I'm reading in this thread - and elsewhere - there are a significant number of Revolution supporters who have grown frustrated with the quality of the stewardship provided to the franchise by both the Krafts and the management team that they've put in place.

The question is how decisively are the Revolution's most die-hard supporters willing to send a message to KSG?

Clearly, the messages we've attempted to send via our season-ticket reps, conversations with various employees at both team-organized events and supporter tailgates, posts to the Revolution website and other internet forums have failed to adequately communicate our frustration to the powers-that-be.

The time for half-measures on the part of supporters is over. It is time for a strong, unified, public message to be sent. Said message may well require New England Revolution supporters to make a significant sacrifice in order to ensure that team management takes note.

The upcoming New England Revolution-Chelsea FC friendly represents arguably the highest-profile event that our MLS side has been involved in for quite some time. It will undoubtedly draw media attention on a level that Kraft Soccer and the New England Revolution rarely enjoy. As such, connecting the delivery of a message communicating Revolution supporter frustration to said match would be a highly effective way of guaranteeing that the management of Kraft Soccer takes note.

It strikes me that it is time to stage a public walkout. Members of the Revolution's supporters groups, as well as non-SG Revolution season-ticket-holders and die-hard fans, should commit to rising-up and walking out of the Revs-Chelsea friendly en masse at a pre-ordained time during the game. Perhaps, 24 minutes into the match to represent the 24 years of indifferent Kraft stewardship over the franchise. As said group(s) walk out from various spots in the stadium, they should chant a pointed - though non-profane - message of frustration. Something akin to, "Six states... one team... zero Kraft commitment!" or "Hey! Ho! The Krafts must go!" Said exit from Gillette Stadium - indeed, the stadium grounds - should otherwise take place in a non-confrontational manner.

Obviously, this walk-out should be preceded by a press-release - outlining supporter frustration with the Krafts' stewardship of the franchise to date and announcing the planned walk-out to protest their indifference as Revolution investor/operators - being sent to broadcast and print media outlets, both local and national. Said outlets will be providing increased coverage of the Krafts' soccer team in the days leading-up to the aforementioned friendly, if only because it is being played against one of the most successful and valuable soccer clubs in the world. It is imperative to take advantage of that increased coverage to publicly shame the Krafts.

Such a protest will require sacrifice. Are Revolution supporters motivated enough... fed-up enough... to sacrifice the cost of pricey Rev-Chelsea friendly tickets to send a pointed message to Kraft Soccer management? Are Revolution supporters motivated enough to stop hiding behind excuses - "A protest might be misconstrued by the players as a commentary on our support for them."... "The Krafts won't listen anyway.", etc. - and take a stand? Are we, as supporters, any more willing than the Revolution's owners and management personnel to actually take action, rather than simply flap our gums and spout empty platitudes?

Such a protest will require effort. Who will take the time to compose and deliver press releases? Who is (are) willing to serve as (a) spokesperson (spokespeople) in dealing with media requests for interviews? Who will gather information from interested parties so as to coordinate gathering points within the stadium, so that exiting fans can meet and gather in larger groups before leaving the stadium en masse?

It is put-up or shut-up time, gang. A considerable audience will be watching our corner of the soccer world. Do we continue to lap-up whatever pap the Krafts deign to feed us, or do we rise-up and demand more?

Understand this: if nothing is done, and sooner rather than later, we will be granting the Krafts de facto approval to continue to operate the New England Revolution as an afterthought. We will be complicit in the continued decline of this team.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post Brian. I would TREMENDOUSLY doubt people are going to walk out when they're paying more for those Chelsea tickets than a regular game though.

I didn't even bother buying tickets for that game anyway.

I voluntarily stepped off the board for the Riders a few years ago, so I have no idea if the board for either SG would actually be willing to take a major step like this.

3. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the walkout idea, but I think it would be a mistake to walk out on a match that’s supposed to be about fighting anti-Semitism. That’s got HUGE potential to be misconstrued. Better to do it during a game that doesn’t have a charitable purpose, even if the crowd will be smaller.

a517dogg, BrianLBI, rkupp and 3 others repped this.
  4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hadn't thought of that. It's the sort of "big" game where an impact could be made, but the reason for it is cloaked in a robe of many colors. The trouble is that the Revs will have no other such "big" game..... Is there a nationally televised game for them, this year? Against a team that would catch eyeballs?

5. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    It should be a simple slogan: SELL THE REVS

It can appear on signs large and small, homemade shirts, wrist bands, lampposts, "STR" for short--maybe fans at other stadiums will pick it up the way Save The Crew took off.

It's an easy chant, too.

And there's no mixed message--this is a total top-down organizational failure, not one or two employees.

Crooked and pwykes repped this.
  6. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that STR or even STREVS would fit on a shirt. I think you have a hashtag there too.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs? On national TV? At home? Don't make me laugh!

The Revs are on Univision and Twitter once this year, Sep 7 at NYC.

No one wants to watch this trainwreck.

8. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    #83 Brian in Boston, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    If the press release distributed to both local and national media outlets is straightforward and specific in outlining the reasons for dissatisfaction amongst New England Revolution supporters, there will be no way to misconstrue the impetus for the walkout being anti-Semitic in nature.

In fact, said press release could go so far as to take great pains to explain that the walkout has simply been scheduled to coincide with the Revolution's most high-profile match of the season - indeed, in several seasons.

Further, those involved in the walkout could make plans to engage in a fundraising effort - either in the days and weeks leading up to the match, or by conducting a collection amongst themselves in the Gillette Stadium parking lots after staging of the walkout - for the match's primary beneficiaries, including the World Jewish Congress, the Tree of Life synagogue, the Anti-Defamation League, and the Holocaust Education Trust.

Might I suggest, "Save the Revs! Sell the team!"... repeated over and over and over again. If protesters really wish to get creative, it can be delivered in a call-and-response manner, with each half of a larger group responsible for delivering one half of said two-part slogan.

What I love about equating the salvation of the club with the Krafts having to sell their investor/operator rights in the franchise is that it speaks to the fact that, as has been noted, the moribund state of the New England Revolution is due to "a total top-down organizational failure"... which begins - indeed, is a reflection of - the indifferent stewardship of Robert and Jonathan Kraft.

a517dogg, ToMhIlL and TOAzer repped this.
  9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    While there may be some level of unity on the problem, I don't think you'd find much unity on that solution.

1) it's very, very unlikely to happen
    2) if it did, I'd say the odds are better than 50/50 that the team would then be playing in some other region (the stadium problems are local - a new stadium would be so much easier elsewhere).

10. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    STR!

The ONLY solution that anyone wants out of the slogan is that it gets a lot of attention, a lot of repeat on social media, media coverage and that Kraft gets spooked out of his KRAFT-apathy. STR adequately communicates a DEEP dissatisfaction with the ownership and it is catchy enough. Seems like a good candidate to have the desired effect.

That the final solution will actually be Kraft selling the team is a big leap and almost immaterial at this point.

Also, if you aren’t frustrated enough to risk the team going elsewhere then I’d say you are more or less happy with the status quo. Don’t participate in any protest.

11. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    We need a “Final Whistle on Mike Burns” game!

BrianLBI repped this.
  12. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Targeting the Chelsea match still makes me very nervous. It’s just so touchy, and offers so many built-in ways to dismiss or even strike back against an anti-Kraft message. I know there’s no ill intent, but I don’t trust observers not to misconstrue the message, either through ignorance or malice.

That said, I do think a “Sell the Revs” kind of mantra might work. I don’t think it will be successful literally, but the dissatisfaction it communicates is unambiguous and goes to the FO. It’s clear that a new coach or new signing is not going to satisfy it. As a bargaining position, maybe it’ll get movement on Burns or Bilello?

a517dogg repped this.
  13. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think that even Friedel has seen that Somi is terrible.

tsb11 repped this.
  14. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Yup. He played himself out of the lineup. Now Burns not selling him/letting him leave on a free in the offseason is still gross incompetence, but Brad correctly evaluating a deficient player shouldn't be something we as fans complain about (Brad does plenty of other things to draw our ire!)

15. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped watching the Revs last year, absolutely pathetic organization. I stop by this thread on occasion to check out some of the comments.
    I like your idea of a staged walk-out. However, you can not do it during that match. I don't care how many flyers, press releases, or news organizations you notify; they are going to smear the campaign as anti-Semitic. The walk-out can be lead by the "chief" Rabbi and it will still be called anti-Semitic. Politics and smear campaigns are where the scum of the earth reside. They don't care, because they have no morals. So your valid campaign of Kraft sell this team, gets drowned out by, are the Rev supports anti-Semitic? Any reporter who asks you a question will lead with, Why are you anti-Semitic? Not, Why do you want Kraft to sell the team?
    You would probably be better off trying to get that tape from Florida and threaten to release it to the public! :laugh:
    My 2 cents.

teskicks, Feldspar, TOAzer and 1 other person repped this.
  16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That's kind of nonsensical - you've determined I have to fit into one of your two boxes, with no other possibilities?
    Agree on your 2nd point (Friedel), but we don't know that Burns wouldn't let him go. I suspect he's got guarantees for this season, so if he wasn't open to a buyout, I wouldn't let him go either. I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't attempt a trade or transfer as they did with Dielna.

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I respect what you are saying but i believe this was attempted in the past, also standing with their backs to the field, sitting and not singing. None of it was very noticeable on camera, I mean you are probably talking less than 100 people and people are constantly coming and going during the game. Quite frankly they could give a rats ass if you buy tickets and leave. At that point they already got your money. Plus at the double the price of a GA Revs ticket people may be a little more reluctant to leave. Pass out brown paper bags to wear over your heads and it will certainly be more noticeable to the camera. Take those same 100 people and place them near the ticket booths with protest signs or a TIFO display and it may have an even bigger impact to the FO though the police may ask you to leave. Better yet a big banner with Brian, Brad and Burn on it calling for their heads may be a better option if that can be managed

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not say he was good but I think Caicedo in front of the backline is a better option than playing him out of position. Somi or Buchanan(a college back) would/could have been better as they have more experience playing there

19. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    It is hard for me to understand how Burns/Friedel saw Somi as worth 400k+ (a high salary for MLS) 15 months ago and now he isn't even on the 18 for a team missing 3 starters on the back-line.

He hasn't suffered a major injury, so what accounts for his falling this far?

I could understand him underperforming but this was really an "all hands on deck" situation.

Of course, I also don't understand how they thought they'd make it through a season with only 3 centerbacks, especially when Brad wants to push his fullbacks so high which puts tons of pressure on the CBs on the counter (see Mancienne against Columbus and Anibaba against Atlanta)

firstshirt repped this.
  20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somi - brought to you by the same brain trust that re-signed Agudelo for over 600k!

Dr. Sneezy, tsb11 and TOAzer repped this.
  21. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are welcome to fit into whatever box you want. But you are correct if you concluded that I don't think you should have any part in a protest. Your collection of posts, over quite a long time, strike me as indicating you don't have all that much to protest which in no way denies that you are probably frustrated with their performance like almost everyone else.

My comment was actually directed at everyone else that might might be considering getting behind a protest. To be clear, a basic premise, for me, is that people want this protest to be something beyond simply a source of catharsis. If you want to protest and you have a serious goal for substantive change then you should, in my not so humble (likely to be outright rejected by this group) opinion, be prepared to campaign for an extreme that, although very unlikely, might actually occur. It is a combination of my view of the desired public relations impact and the ensuing negotiation that would hopefully take place.

Maybe it is time for a tangent here. Show of hands: who thinks the supporter groups have enough leverage to establish any kind of serious discussions with the Krafts/Revolution on the subject of how they run their operation? My hand is down, BTW.

So, I think you should ask for the moon (e.g. Sell the Revs). That is for the public relations impact, which seems to be attempting to create some leverage through media attention. From there you can negotiate back to something acceptable rather than asking for the minimum acceptable, getting zero media coverage and zero change. But if you can't stomach that extreme opening volley, then don't participate.

One other unsolicited opinion I'd offer is, again if this is fairly serious, that discussions of strategy shouldn't take place on a completely open and public forum. There are some fairly good reasons that negotiation teams are often limited to a select few that are completely "in the know" regarding (all of the) strategies.

Since rkupp will be quick to challenge my credentials, let's just stipulate that I have none. It is a soccer discussion forum after all. I have received some negotiation training (pretty basic IMHO) and even had to perform some negotiation in my jobs over the years. I have zero training in public relations but have been the subject of advertising/public relations for over 1/2 a century. Hopefully that informs my opinion but follow your own counsel.

A Casual Fan, pwykes and TOAzer repped this.
  22. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feldspar repped this.
  23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I would like to find a way to provoke change, like most others.

And, yeah, I'm pretty furious that it's still only April and, barring something really dramatic, this season is toast.

dncm repped this.
  24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought maybe the Revs had escaped the post-game DisCo red card, but then I read the last line:
    MLS Disciplinary Committee fines three players after Week 7
    April 17, 2019, 6:39PM EDT
    MLSsoccer staff