P/I/P: Match 6, Revs @ CMB, 4/6, 7:30PM (ET) [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Apr 5, 2019.

1. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    When did Castillo get injured? He was not on the injury report. Or not injured?

That lead to a Somi sighting on the bench - wow!

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall a pretty lackluster game to have traveled for. Had fun with the Crew supporters as always, but the game itself was rather lackadaisical.

Three games out of six we have been shut out. JFC barely got any touches in this game, so still impossible to judge his signing.

Finally, Revs assistant coach ... not a good look.
    1114704253321347072 is not a valid tweet id

TOAzer repped this.
  3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armchair Analyst: All 24 MLS teams in review | Week 6 analysis
    April 7, 2019, 4:38PM EDT
    Matthew Doyle

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Optical illusion of the game: It looked to me like Gil was a third CB at certain moments....

...there were so many times he was ALL THE WAY at the back line restarting the attack. At times, he was passing it FORWARD (multiple times) to Caldwell at DM.

When the only player likely to be able to unlock a defense with a pass must frequently track back that deeply to start the offense - well, then, he's using his skills in the wrong third of the field.

But that's only one of the symptoms within the much larger "how disjointed the entire attack is" problem space.

Dr. Sneezy, TOAzer and NFLPatriot repped this.
  6. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a by-the-way, here it is two days later, and it's still blacked out on Espn+. Maybe this can be seen as some kind of trigger warning.

7. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    thats weird! Usually all the MLS games get aggregated on ESPN+, because it replaced the MLS app. They took it off the NBC Sports Boston replay list

8. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually asked the Revs about this on Twitter. They said that NBCSports Boston will have replays for only 24 hours after the match and that games will be blacked out on ESPN+ in perpetuity. It's a horrible deal for fans. I don't have NBCSN Boston on my DirectTV package, so I bought ESPN+ to watch Revs games, which worked last year. (Fortunately, my friend has Xfinity, so I have a work around.)
    I'm 90% sure the Revs aren't getting paid to be on NBCSN Boston, but if they are it's some sort of shell game to give them more access to the Pats. As such, Revs management should either insist replays be available on the NBC Sports App for at least a week, or allow ESPN+ to show them (which I'd prefer, given the app's better functionality). There is no reason to make game replays completely unavailable after 24 hours.

TOAzer repped this.
  9. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a depressing post.

1. After 25+ years the REVs still aren't getting legitimately paid (other than a Patriot shell game) for their local broadcasts.

2. Someone is trying to go to a league supported, PAID, website (ESPN+, $4.99/month, right?) to watch a game but can't get it. Yet the broadcast industry marvels at the amount of "piracy" (e.g. file sharing) that takes place...

3. There is nothing to pirate/share because we all hit delete after the game as fast as we could.

TOAzer and RevFan repped this.
  10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could have sworn that either last year or the year before, they finally were being paid to be put on TV (and not just paying the station)?

11. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made an unsubstantiated assumption, but given their popularity in the community I'd be shocked if they were being paid. At best it might be a shared cost arrangement.

12. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I thought this was interesting. 3 expected goals models - one gave us more xG (1.07 to 0.67), one put it pretty even (0.93xG to 1.27xG for Columbus), and one gave us only 0.07 xG (which seems obviously incorrect).

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yeah, agree. I think with some time that he and Penilla will work well together, but we'll see.

I'd like to see someone in there instead of Agudelo.
    Yeah, wow. But, it looks like Friedel is calling him out for it.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you see that?

TOAzer repped this.
  15. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That was really close and I prefer to give the attacker the benefit of the doubt on close offsides possibilities, so I'm OK with not calling offsides here. Considering how close it was I can't fault the AR for not calling it, and a VAR review could have wasted 2-3 minutes to check every angle multiple times on an incident this close - I'd rather spend those 2-3 minutes playing the game than sitting through a review.

So Friedel can feel a bit upset about that non-call if he likes, but the team lost because they didn't do well enough in the final third.

RevFan, Feldspar, pwykes and 2 others repped this.
  16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can think of is the time in the Nicol era when the Revs lost a game on a late PK, but truth be told, they didn't play well at all. Someone asked Nicol if he was upset about the penalty call, which was somewhat border-line.

"Wassit a penalty? Ah dinnae. Yuh kin blayme th rafaree effya lake, bu' a tha endathadey, yuh gut tae loo' a yuurself inna mirra."

So had they disallowed the goal, what are the chances we would have won, or even drawn?

17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eight inches offside. Really, that's your excuse? Quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of hearing "We deserved better."

No, you didn't deserve better. You get what you earn, not what you deserve, and you earned yet another loss.

Brad, how about considering the Revs fans? Don't we "deserve" a better roster to root for?

Nemeth has 4 goals for SKC this year (not including CCL). The Revs total have 5. How's that working out for you?

RevFan, Jon Martin and pwykes repped this.
  18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His 4 goals are in one less game played than the Revs.

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It certainly looks to me like Friedel is following Higuain and immediately whips around and yells something in the direction his assistant went. Does it not look that way to you?
    I agree that sitting through the reviews is pretty frustrating (although I watch the away games on dvr, so I have the option to ff through it), but there are very few goals scored and this was a particularly tight contest.

That's really an almost impossible call for the AR to consistently get right, with defenders stepping back (or up) at the last moment, a whole bunch of attackers looping around and timing runs through the offsides line. We're really asking them to track 3-4 runners timing the play, noticing which passed the defensive line too soon and being able to match them with which of them attempted to play the ball. It's really humanly impossible if you think about it (which is why it's become a favored method of taking free kicks).

For me, that call absolutely deserved a review (even if there are too many overall) - most of which could be done while Cbus was still celebrating.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Friedel is wearing a Crew cover with MR on it ... I don't think that was Brad.

21. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Only a couple more days before Atlanta game. When does injury report come out? I am interested to hear any updates on Castillo. And slightly dreading the status of Pity Martinez and George Bello (remember the goal he scored against Revs) who have been out but are probably close to coming back.

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Hah, it's Matt Reis. All those bald guys look alike. lol. :ROFLMAO:

Feldspar repped this.
  23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, he was offsides by 8 inches. That is not "clear and obvious", which is what is required for VAR.

pwykes repped this.
  24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Right, that may be what the fine print says. I'm talking about common sense.

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Common sense also says that if he is offsides by only 8 inches, he hasn't gained any advantage from it, so it shouldn't matter.

Personally, I don't want VAR deciding things so infinitesimal. How do we know the freeze frame was taken at the exact microsecond the pass was delivered? Back it up one frame and maybe he was onsides.

The "clear and obvious" rule was put in for a good reason.