P/I/P: Match 4, Revs vs CIN, 3/24, 4:00PM (ET) [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Mar 22, 2019.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #76 firstshirt, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    I said during preseason that I was willing to give mancienne a chance this year. was not impressed last year but gave him the benefit of the doubt because he came in late. Well he's had a full preseason plus five or six games last year and four games this year. That said he is without a doubt the biggest waste salary cap on this team. He is so not worth the million-dollar salary.

Jon Martin and Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  2. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs have the consistency of the Roman Empire. After cranking down from a Tiberius, to a Nero, and then to a Caligula, they decide to right the ship by sticking their head into a Commodus.....

A Casual Fan, MM66, propnut27 and 2 others repped this.
  3. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    I have been really disappointed by Mancienne, but surely Some is a bigger waste of salary. He is making, I think, 400k and not even making the 18.

4. Biker Jim

Biker Jim Member

Apr 15, 2000
    Newton, MA
    NE Revolution: the strongest argument for relegation in US soccer

tsb11, firstshirt, sean'o and 4 others repped this.
  5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I know Mancienne will always be a target because of his salary, but he hasn't played badly this season - and he is certainly not where I would start in fixing problems.

I too want to see Anibaba back in, but for Delamea, who, for me, is really struggling.

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at his salary "not bad" is not acceptable. No evidence of that so far. Mancienne was brought in to secure the back line and give leadership. I believe Brad said his goal was give up less than 50 goals this season. They are on pace for 68. he better have another DP CB lined up for May or August

Feldspar repped this.
  7. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The change I want to see is Zahibo to the bench. His unwillingness to track players through the midfield has left Mancienne and Delamea in some tough situations.

a517dogg, tsb11, Dr. Sneezy and 2 others repped this.
  8. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Friedel's a moron. Work rate is the only idea he has about the game and it's failed him.

Crooked and pwykes repped this.
  9. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Agreed. What baffles me is they acquired Carles Gil, who is a classic great-first-touch, quick-passing Spanish player. Yet he's got no one to combine with. I've lost count of the number of times he's gotten the ball and his teammates all run away like it's American football and they're on a post route. I think Caldwell and Diego might be able to work some combination play with him, but it takes a whole team to make that truly work. And Friedel's got no clue how to coach a team on what to do when it has the ball.

Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  10. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    No argument about Dellamea looking awful. His double brainfart last week at the end of the first half will forever live in club legend.

Yet what does Mancienne do well? He's not a superior defender. He doesn't dominate in the air. He's mediocre on the ball. I don't get how that guy is supposed to be the linchpin in a quality defense.

firstshirt and Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  11. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get it. Friedel benched Zahibo last season. But has him back at the most important position on the field again this season. Getting the same results. Did he think he had changed?

12. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like you could take out “Zahibo” and put in almost any Rev name and what you wrote would still apply perfectly.

pwykes repped this.
  13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think work rate is his only idea, but ... were you happy with the 'work rate' you saw on Sunday? Several of the players agreed with him - so it's pretty clear that is an issue. And, it's hard to see how they improve without improving that, one way or another. So, I think it's appropriate to focus on that (which doesn't mean it's the only thing he's focusing on).
    I think he makes good transition passes. We've seen recent Rev defenses pass the ball between themselves continuously (and then back to the keeper to boot it to the opponents), only because they hadn't figured out how to find space in a packed midfield.

But to your point, I don't think he's a dominating type center back - he looks like a more cerebral player, who can work well in a cohesive unit.

He's probably never going to do enough to justify that salary, but I will wait to see how he does if/when we ever get the dmid sorted out. It's hard to command a defense when there is a sieve right in front of it.
    I think he probably did - and Caicedo was banged up and delayed at the start of the season.

But, I think the reality is that he doesn't have really good alternative option (which is why I'm hoping this DP is the solution). Caldwell works hard, plays smart, but is physically dominated pretty easily. I'm sure Friedel wants having Zahibo's physicality in there.

14. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think all the work rate in the world won't cover up the lack of skill and cohesion.

15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since he's come in the revs have been outscored 7-2. Sure, not all are on him but for an experienced Euro import he's not doing his job right now.