P/I/P, Match 33: Revs vs NYC, 9/29/2019 5:00pm

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Sep 26, 2019.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs vs NYC FC Preview

Simply put: win, and they are in.

CMB was eliminated last night.
    A draw vs NYC eliminates ORL, but they would need help to eliminate CHI and MON.
    CHI: max pts: 44 - rem games: TOR, @ORL
    MON: max pts: 43 - rem games: ATL, NRB

In other words, 3 draws on Sunday:
    NE vs NYC
    CHI vs TOR
    MON vs ATL
    and the Revs are in.

ATL will be looking to rebound from disappointing loss in NYC, so they should eliminate MON.
    TOR still has outside shot at 4-seed (home game)

kennytt repped this.
  2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In reality this is a must win game. 3pts basically will put their destiny in their own hands as far as the playoffs go

kennytt repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely must win. We're at 42 points right now and Chicago is at 38 and Montreal at 37, all with 2 more games.left. A win will do it, a draw (ugh!) will help, but I sure would hate to go to Atlanta needing 3 points.

So what time do the gates open on Sunday?

4. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  5. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Brilliant!

6. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Who thought when the coaching change was made that the Revs would make the...

PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? PLAYOFFS?

a517dogg, A Casual Fan and NFLPatriot repped this.
  8. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

The Gif you are looking for...
    [​IMG]

The Gif of me when the final whistle blew...
    [​IMG]

The Gif of me remembering how long it's been since we were last in the playoffs...
    [​IMG]

a517dogg, patfan1, BERich and 1 other person repped this.
  9. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well, that was gratifying. Think that's the best game I've seen Zahibo play. Teal's goal was classic Teal. He kept running his way into chances and one of them finally went in. Seemed like they specifically came out in the 2nd half looking for foot races against the NYC back line.

Also, Matt Turner deserves a look with the USMNT. He's been unreal.

If you had told me early this season that the Revs would make the playoffs, I'd have insisted that was madness. Don't know that I've ever seen a team turn it around more dramatically inside of one season (in any sport) than these guys.

A Casual Fan and TOAzer repped this.
  10. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This season started like a turd. It can now be considered a success, relatively speaking. That’s pretty amazing, all things considered.

RevsRule, pwykes and TOAzer repped this.
  11. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely agree. He is fantastic!!! Will he get a look? I doubt if. GB loves his Columbus players and others need not apply. This is a shame because he makes incredible saves EVERY game

We all know why we made the playoffs and why there is a new attitude in the stands and on the field but nobody on the field wants to say it on camera. I will though (no news to this thread) When they fired Brad then hired Arena then fired Burns..... this whole sinking ship started to float again. Now the team believes, the fans that follow the team closely believe and I believe once again!!! I cant wait to see the improvements Arena makes in the off season. We still need a few more players on the Bou, Gil level

TOAzer and MM66 repped this.
  12. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a great effort by the Revs. How hard was it to shake the dread that the Revs were going to find a way to lose a game like this? Instead, we see an insurance goal on top of spectacular saves by Turner. What a contrast to Johnson who got beaten twice after Da Bruce noticed he was cheating off his line.

It's hard not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but the playoffs are a whole new season. We're playing well on the road and we are peaking at the perfect time. There is no team in the East that is unbeatable. Now if someone would just knock off LAFC in the earlier rounds . . .

A Casual Fan repped this.
  13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Unless it is San Jose ;) ..., but, point taken. A crappy start to the season, then an absolute cliff drop to provoke the change, followed by an incredible unbeaten run to get back in the thick of it.
    It seems like we are pretty likely to play the #2 seed in the east - and if we can find a way to win it, we essentially become that #2 seed. So, ...

Fantastic night in many ways ...

Attached Files:

A Casual Fan, Crooked, MM66 and 2 others repped this.
  14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So my wife was like, not sure I have seen you this excited over a Revs game before. Whats the big deal? I just could not answer her at that moment. if there is any justice in the world, Bruce will win the MLS coach of the year after clinching a playoff spot. What he and his staff have done is a miracle. Gil with 10 goals and 14 assists and what he has meant to this team should finish top 3 in MVP as well as Newcomer of the year if there is any justice in the world.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs have a chance to play Atlanta 3 games in a row if the standings stay as they are

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two in a row. Playoffs are one-and-done this year. No more two-leg series.

firstshirt repped this.
  17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats Bob! 24 years, and my name still hasn't been chosen ... but great to see one of the long term fans get this.

Crooked and TOAzer repped this.
  19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armchair Analyst: All 24 MLS teams in review | Week 30 analysis
    September 30, 2019, 1:42AM EDT
    Matthew Doyle

20. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe no one on the field says it but do you watch the broadcasts?
    Given how passionately Brad Feldman Pravda-ed the Burns administration, how deep he dug to find lipstick to slather on that pig, it is both humorous and annoying listening to him bubble about Bruce and his staff. Which truth is the truth Brad and who do you report to in the new organization? (I beat on Brad but still wonder how much editorial liberty he had and now has).

I find it interesting that with Burns gone (and Friedel) they got at least a point in 19 out of 21 games. Then Arena talks on camera about how good these players are and how coachable they have been. Bou had a tremendous impact on the results, no doubt, but that Arena got them to the playoffs with the Burns/Friedel built roster plus one excellent addition give one pause for thought.

I have to add that I still think the MLS playoffs are too easy to achieve. For me it is the 19 results out of 21 games that stands out. When you believe your team will be in every game like that it makes the price of admission or the effort to fire up the TV seem worthwhile. It’s a total breath of fresh air.

NFLPatriot, pwykes and Jon Martin repped this.
  21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I got lucky, actually. My friend that I sit next to got the offer and wasn't able to do it, so he asked our rep (Vic - he's awesome!), to let me have the chance.
    That is a pretty incredible stat - and it means that the two losses were against the clear and away best team in the league and a tainted one against the eastern conference champion.

So, in 21 games, we only lost to the two conference champions once each.

OTOH, too many ties will leave you struggling in the standings - which is where we are.

a517dogg repped this.
  22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    24 Takeaways from Week 30
    September 30, 2019, 8:29PM EDT
    Bobby Warshaw