P/I/P, Match 32: Revs @POR, 9/25/2019 10:30pm ET

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Sep 24, 2019.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 NFLPatriot, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  3. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Looking at the next three games, I think this is our best chance of getting 3 points. So it comes down to a win would probably get us into the playoffs, a loss or tie takes our fate out of our hands. Do or die guys... and we need friggin goals by somebody

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Revs win tonight would mathematically eliminate CMB, ORL and MON. The Revs would then need another draw, or CHI to drop points, to clinch.

5. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 Portland Jeremy Ebobisse in the 49th minute

Still 1-0 Portland in the 59th minute.

6. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-0 Portland 81'

Cross from the left side to a wide open Ebobisse in front of the goal. He dives for the wide open header. He misses it with his head, but it hits off of one of his heels and goes in.

7. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-1 87' Penilla with a great pass to Bunbury from the midfield on the run to split the defense. Bunbury still on the run, but in the box to Bou for the goal.

8. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-1 Portland. Full time, but.... ref calling for a video review. Revs will have a penalty shot as the last play of the game.

BTW, the penalty was a shirt pull that caused Zahibo to go down in the box on his way to attempt to head a pass into the box. Play continued for a minute or two before full time. Then the VAR.

9. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carles Gil hits the PK!

2-2 98' minute.

They actually played a little after the PK, but it ends 2-2.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  10. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Heck of a PK by Gil. Penalty call I thought was right. Big point.

11. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was crazy

tsb11 repped this.
  12. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Bou and Gil scored the crucial goals. Talk about money players.

13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three draws in a row. That's as good as a win, right? Three points is three points...

14. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Yes it was!! And Bou was on a one on one after the PK but didn't seem to have the legs to get by Dielna...there was just a glimmer of a chance there to win at the very end.....once he lost the ball the ref blew the whistle.

I hate commenting about refs, but I need to do it...that first foul on Gil deserved at least a yellow card.

And why haven't we been able to turn more of our corner kicks into goals?? 16 corner kicks and zip to show for it.

rkupp repped this.
  15. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we had a chance to win it when Bou (I think) ended up 1v1 breaking in on net at the very end but failed to beat the sole defender. Considering that we were down 2-0, I'll take the point!

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Thought we were pretty much done for at 0-2!

- thought Caldwell played pretty decently considering how little he's played lately

- right from the get-go, Anibaba showed his limitations - booting the ball aimlessly upfield nearly every time he got it.

- Revs are falling back into their old patterns of playing the ball around, back, back, back to the goalie, boot it forward to the opposition, ... rinse and repeat.

- when they got a good spell of possession, they were able to sustain it, but when Portland got on the attack, we had a lot of trouble getting possession and getting back on the attack again.

- Arena at halftime: biggest statement is that we were too slow with the ball. I am so encouraged to hear that that's where his focus is - I agree %100 that that's what's been making our attack so stale lately.

- I think Revs have this slow deliberate pattern, drilled in after years of playing that way and after initially responding to Arena's more up-tempo style, they have been regressing to the old Heaps' style of play. I think Agudelo is a prime example - he does something good, then passes it off (but, generally back or laterally, rarely a good attacking pass) and then he stands for a moment watching what happens. He looks very clueless as to where to go - and often ends up having to back out of Gil's way, rather than being in motion to become a receiving option.

In contrast, Bou and JFCaicedo seem to always be making small runs that leave them open for an attacking pass

- it was kind of a gamble for Arena, going with so many reserves. He got away with it, but just barely ...

17. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Right you were...

Our Magic number is 3...and three points is three points. There is not enough time for us to get those three points that way anymore though!!

18. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think too many are just waiting for Gil of Bou to do something rather than trying to do somethings themselves. Both Juan and Diego used to score. Now they pass off 90% of the time. I also thought Caldwell had a good game. He doesnt try to do too much and makes good passes most of the time.
    Im just glad we have Farrell back there. He stops so many attacks

19. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That foul was late enough that the ref may not have seen it. VAR can't help with yellow.

Revs in 2010 repped this.
  20. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That game made feel like the days when Joseph, Twellman and Ralston were playing. Back then a game never seemed out of reach.

Doublecard repped this.
  21. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Agree with everyone who said "crazy game"

Agree with the overall "bad officiating". How many missed fouls were there?

Gil was my MotM, and Diego was the only other positive starter. Everyone else looked middling (jfc, Bye) or worse (Mancienne, Caldwell) for most of the game (even Bou, who looked awful for the first 75 minutes).

Considering the entire midfield were backups to start, and so were half the defense, im very happy with the draw.

22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armchair Analyst: What I'm watching for over the final two MLS weekends
    September 26, 2019, 12:23PM EDT
    Matthew Doyle

23. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine Arena will bring him back next year. Gets very little done for the talent he has. Fagundez is in the same boat. This team is going to be better next year.

24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    All good points - totally agree.

It's one thing to look to get the ball in the hands of your impact players, but when the majority of your contribution becomes deferring to others ...
    It was, he had already turned to follow the play, but that's a perfect example of where his linesman needs to get his attention.
    Ouch!

Still, I wouldn't put it past Arena to flip the script.

---------

Re-watched the last 10 minutes this morning, a couple of things stood out:

- the penalty: from the replay, the shirt tug looked pretty minimal. BUT, he had hold of the shirt away from the camera before the replay catches it, and Zahibo reacts (i.e., embellishes) pretty quickly, so I think he had been tugging for longer/harder than the replay showed. Still, pretty soft, since Clark handled the cross easily and Zahibo had no real chance to win that ball.

- Penilla made a really sweet pass to spring Bunbury to set up Bou's goal, but in the waning seconds, when Portland was successfully working the 'take it to the corner' strategy, burning off the rapidly winding down extra time, Bye got the ball a step from his own end-line and, without a moment's hesitation, sent a pinpoint pass through 3 opponents to the foot of a teammate near midfield to earn the Revs the critical last few seconds on the attack (where the ended up drawing the penalty). Point being, a pass like Penilla's is easy to see and recognize, but Bye's was just as critical, much more difficult and will probably end up being overlooking in the overall scheme of things. I'm sure his coaches noticed it, though.

Monty, did you really go all the way to Portland for this one?

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, I think Monty stopped somewhere in Nebraska to look at wheat. :laugh: