P/I/P, Match 30: Revs @ ORL, 9/14/2019 7:30pm

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Sep 13, 2019.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 4 weekend and 2 mid-week game slots left in the season. Weibe picks one game for each slot. Revs-ORL is his pick for this weekend:

The biggest games left this year and two big questions for Week 28
    September 13, 2019, 11:13AM EDT
    Andrew Wiebe

4. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    We win, we remain in the drivers seat (albeit still with a difficult road), we lose or draw, the road becomes downright precarious given our last 4 games. We desperately need our first win at Orlando and they are desperate to stay in the playoff hunt. They beat us, they are within a point of us with Houston, Cincinnati and Chicago their remaining games. While they have less games, I would think they will get more out of those three games than we will against our last 4: Real, Portland, NYCFC and Atlanta.

Huge game, GO REVS!!! Our depth will be tested, and with the likes of Dwyer, Nani and Akindele they can score. Wow -- should be an incredible match.

5. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I find it strange - but for some reason I got chills as I read the road ahead with ATL waiting at the end. That same part of me wishes and hopes for some sort of climactic final week showdown vs. ATL - with a lot at stake - and where the Revs need to dig deep to find their "inner champions" ...and prevail.

That sort of "real" soccer has been missing for a long long long long long time with this club.

---------------------------------------------

Listening to coaches and pundits pin bad results mostly on the refs, or things like worrying about the Orlandos of the world - those type of soccer experiences just don't do it for me, ** at all **. Borderline not worth the time to watch.

(Yes, the arrival of The Bruce was a nice diversion - but let acknowledge that the team has reverted back to "flat".)

It's really really about time for Revs to bite the bullet and forcefully step back up to the level where they are actually legitimately worried about their championship chances annually - that's where they really need to get back to.

Enough fighting with the curs under the table for the scraps and leavings of those "seated above the salt".

Please - let's get back above the salt.

Jon Martin, TOAzer and sean'o repped this.
  6. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mancienne is injured or DNP coach’s decision?

7. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    What a freaking game! What a lapse for 10 minutes to start the second half. What a sit stopper Turner is! The only thing keeping us alive right now is that Montreal doesn’t seem to be able to win.

Strange that the first 2 subs were defensive subs. We did get tired though.

I do like a lot of what is saw in the first half though. That was some sweet one-twos and skills. Want to see more though!!

8. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs hoping to draw their way into the playoffs. And in fact, it may be just enough.

But what a letdown it would be to get pipped by Chicago for that last playoff spot!

9. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did we see a weakness in Turner’s game last night? Those two headers were the difference.

10. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    • I can't put my finger on it, but there is something important missing from the Revs' game these days. I'm not talking about Penilla missing two prime chances, though either would have completely changed the game. There's some sanity missing from the midfield.

I'm open to correction on this, but I didn't see those as being on Turner. No Turner = 0 points

Revs in 2010 and TOAzer repped this.
  11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 win in the last 7.

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    And ... finding a new way to not win each week!

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    To give up 2 near post flick headers in the same game - after seeing pretty much none all season - ugh.

On the first, to have Gil matching up with Nani? How does that happen?

Two games in a row, we've seen Revs attackers (Bunbury, Penilla) do all the hard work to get a clear shot with the goalie at their mercy, and nothing to show. Nothing more clearly demonstrates how good Bou is - able to get shots off in a blink, with laser-focus on the target.

We should total dominance at times, yet sagged back on defense for significant parts of the 2nd half. Maybe it was the heat, but their seemed little response once Orlando started coming on.

Only silver lining is that there should be no glossing over the Revs limitations, despite their recovery from the bottom of the bucket.

Jon Martin, TOAzer and BrianLBI repped this.
  14. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    pretty frustrating to go from Delamea red-carded in the prior game for a non-foul, to Nani jabbing Fagundez in the face directly in front of the referee with no sanction at all, in a fracas started by Jannson coming through the back of Bou with force, straight-legged and cleats up. Both Jannson and Nani should have been ejected.

Doublecard and teskicks repped this.
  15. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    Not to defend Nani because he seems like a pretty annoying dude, but that altercation was very soft. I'm not sure Nani even touched Fagundez, and if he did it was barely - it looked like he was just pointing and wagging the finger. Fagundez was trying to get him sent off there, which is just as annoying as the face jab itself imo. Maybe a yellow was warranted.

The Jannson foul was a completely different story - should have been a red for sure.

swedust repped this.
  16. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nani first had grabbed Fagundez with both hands on both sides of his head, and then jabbed him in the face, so there was contact twice.

Doublecard and teskicks repped this.
  17. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I think a yellow on Jansson is correct
    I think once the official decided it was nothing VAR could only decide it needed to be a red.

I liked Bye getting 2 amazing crosses right on top of the 6, but I'm sad neither produced goals. JFC put in a good shift i thought. His movement wrong footed Rowe on Bou's goal, as he had to slide centrally to respect the pass. The defense still needs work, and the #8 spot still needs someone to really claim it, but the team is at the very least exciting to watch right now

18. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a game the Revs could have well won. But, to give Orlando their due, they were fighting for their playoff lives as much, if not more, than we were. For us now, every match is a "playoff to get into the playoffs" scenario. Which has this one great advantage; Bruce has a string of games by which players may be judged under consistent pressure. He will enter the off season with a very clear understanding of what this team can rely on and what it must bring in and shape in order to be a serious contender.

a517dogg repped this.
  19. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Arena was correct. We did not play well in the second half. Going from 3-1 to a final of 3-3 in not acceptable. I think we will see big defensive changes by the time the 2020 season starts

sean'o repped this.
  20. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I doubt draws get them in and I doubt they won't lose at least one of the last 4. Chicago has Cincy, Toronto and Orlando (who may be eliminated by then) and I can see them getting 7 points out of that run. We still need another 5-6 points out of our last 4 - RSL, Portland, NYCFC and Atlanta. This loss has put us in a much tougher spot. Would rather be looking at needing 3-4 points out of those games.

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    You could make the case that a team that hasn't won in 7 games down the stretch doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs.

If there isn't another dramatic turnaround, they'll probably be out (or facing a likely one-and-done) - and that would be justified IMO, based on weak results through August and September.

22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you're probably right, but as I said in another thread, it will be disappointing, but regardless, for the first time in many, many years there will be hope going into the off-season that we will have significant additions in key areas and we will be a much better team next year.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  23. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I feel like the "we made the playoffs" being primarily a huge AirCover for the team - and an excuse for FO to avoid exerting real effort to improve - is ***much*** reduced this year - so on that basis I'm feeling much better than in prior year if they make the playoffs.

I also think (despite not bagging an outright win in a while) there is a hint of spark woven through enough of the team's innate chemistry. (Not quite JJones level spark, but **something** nonetheless)...

...and that if that spark manifests at the right times, that there could actually be some legit exciting/fun outcomes for at least part of the playoffs. I am hoping for that, for sure.

pwykes repped this.
  24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Another week where a ref misses obvious infraction to the detriment of the revs and the team drops points because of it

rkupp repped this.