P/I/P Match 25: Seattle Sounders vs Revs, 8/10 at Seattle

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by goussoccer, Aug 10, 2019.

1. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Surprised this wasn't posted already.

We need point(s) out of this one I think. A tough last 10 games and Seattle is missing a few players. Prefer 3 points, need 1.

Go Revs!!

2. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just going to say get Castillo out of there and Arena did it. He's killing us. Teal is next (I hope)

tsb11 repped this.
  3. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    What a fun game for the less-emotionally-attached viewer. Ironic scoreline, but fair really.

Liked seeing the tactical flexibility. The roster still has plenty of areas for improvement. Farrell is tailor made for the RCB in a 3-man back line, to my eyes anyway.

tsb11 repped this.
  4. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I think that may have been Bruce's worst game as Revs manager.

I dont hate going 3 at the back, but dont like how he did it. Mancienne, Caicedo, and Zahibo is too much not getting forward. Really needed Juan in the middle if you go back 3, or keep it back 2 if you go with Caicedo.

65' minute with a 1 goal lead but he is still trying to defend with 7, 2 of which arent very good defenders. I agree Castillo stayed on too long, and Bunbury hurt more than helped.

Another game using only 2 subs. Why?? And why does he wait so long to make them? Be proactive!

5. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    • When my wife and I watched Silence of the Lambs, it was too intense for her She got out the ironing board, so she could spend 2/3 of the movie looking away from the screen. I now know how she felt. That last 15 minutes was an agonizing PTSD trigger for anyone who has watched the Revs give away countless matches just like this.

• In the end we lucked out. I would feel sorry for the Sounders fans, except that we have had so many of those bogus hand ball calls go against us.

• It was interesting hearing BA throw Castillo under the bus at halftime. For Castillo to commit the same mistake in the second half cannot have been a good career move. I don't think he has the wheels to keep up.

• Mancienne's header was the best headed goal I have seen in MLS this year. Really missed the Delamea of the last two months though.

• Missed Agudelo as well. It's hard to know on TV, but I wasn't aware of Zahibo contributing all that much. With Farrell out next week, I suspect we'll see him.

• Frei and Turner both looking like pro keepers out there.

• In contrast to Brad and Paul, I agreed with the Gantar that Castillo's goal should not have stood. Frei had two hands on the ball, and Castillo kicked it out of his hands.

• Was it just me, or were there a lot of through balls to no one? It seems like they are still working a lot of things out.

RevsLiverpool, dcochran and BrianLBI repped this.
  6. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing you can't deny, the Arena Revo are good entertainment value. That Castillo to Bou goal was spectacular.

Jon Martin repped this.
  7. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Watched replays. The 2nd half scrum in front of Seattle’s goal was an own goal off of Sounder’s defender’s right boot. The ref. got it wrong, even after VR which showed the same video angles that TV viewers could watch. All things held equal, final score s/b Revs. 4, Sounders 3. The incoherent play by the Revs. on close attack withstanding, getting away w/1 GP is a blessing.

8. asctester

asctester Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Apr 2, 2018
    Witch City, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Castillo does some nice things on the offensive end. He has had a few nice give and go passes and made a nice cross for a goal yesterday. The question is can you accept his defensive performance to get his offensive contribution. I am leaning hard towards no. I would like to see DeJuan Jones out there. I think he has shown promise, has better defensive upside and can also provide some offense.

9. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree. We cant score enough goals to overcome Castillo's mistakes. I really hope Arena addresses the lack of production from Mr. Bunbury soon. There is a gaping hole there that needs filling. Maybe Teal is out best option for now at CF?. I like him as an outside but not at CF

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't help but laugh that we're now back on the "Teal's not good" bandwagon, when not a month ago, he couldn't do anything wrong.

This is what Teal does. Great guy, goes on hot streaks, and then disappears. Nothing new here, but each and every year, people act like "This is the year!"

Anyway, highly entertaining game. I thought (for a change) that VAR was used correctly in both instances.

Mancienne sucked to start (rust?), but seemed to settle down and got his first ever goal. Gil's PK was taken perfectly. And yes, that was a handball. When the guy doesn't even argue, it's a good sign that the call was right.

pwykes, BERich and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here - Castillo is a massive defensive liability and was responsible for 2 of their goals yesterday. I do like his crossing ability but man, we need Jones in there at LB to solidify the back otherwise that will be our achilles heel.

Teal needs to sit. Stick Gil up top as a false nine and Bou at the ten. Gil has a strong work rate and tracks back.

12. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering whether our skills and deficits would line up better in a 4-5-1. Let Castillo play out on the left wing with Jones behind him. Have LCaicedo and Agudelo as 6/8 and put Diego or Teal on the right in front of Bye. Bou up top with Gil in behind.

I like Teal's pressing and holdup play even when he's not scoring but maybe Diego should have a shot. Penilla can replace Castillo when pace and strength are needed. Zahibo and Caldwell are backups for DM. In the off season Castillo can leave. The decision re: whether we need to spend money on an LB depends on how Jones does for the rest of the year. We've got reasonable players and cover at CB, but Bruce needs to assess whether they are good enough when all are healthy.

tsb11 and a517dogg repped this.
  13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Don't disagree at all about not being able to live with Castillo's mistakes tracking back, but ... he's been integral in -at least- two spectacular give-and-go goals with Bou. With both having extensive experience in the Mexican League, it's clear they have a great understanding. Hard for Arena (and Bou) to give that up.

Still not sure why the own goal was disallowed. In the replays it looked like Frei may have taken a shot to the midsection while he was down, but couldn't actually see the contact that might have caused it. I really don't think he ever had possession. Does pinning the ball on the ground, or just 'having both hands on it' equate to possession? He never really had a "grip" on it from what I could see.

That said, the Revs benefitted from a PK call that may have been by the book, but wasn't really deserved IMO. So, I guess the breaks evened out.

It was a wild, wide-open game with both teams having tons of chances. Seattle clearly had more, although some came when Revs defenders were fouled with no calls (like Lodero's followup miss after Farrell was swept off his feet in what should have been a yellow card foul).

Wow, Diego came so close to winning it at the death! Yes, he did literally shoot it into the keeper's chest, but that was a really tough chance and players get criticized for not 'at least' getting in on frame - and he did that. But, wow, that would have been huge.

---

Wasn't crazy about the new formation, but I think I understand it. With the Revs basically counter-attacking and having such attacking firepower up front, they don't need a fully balanced lineup to get their chances.

OTOH, just throwing more defenders on the field doesn't necessarily account for more (better?) defense. I felt that Anibaba was kind of superfluous in there - and often with more defenders, assignments and responsibilities get confused

Mancienne was verrrrry rusty coming in, but right about the point where he scored, he seemed to settle in. I think he can/will pay much better overall with a couple of games under him. I also think his skill/experience will combine well with Bou and Gil.

Zahibo makes his share of mistakes, but one of his best attributes is that he doesn't over-handle the ball and gets it quickly to his attackers.

Lowest point of the game for the Revs - losing their poise/focus and giving up 2 goals back-to-back. That should never happen.

Jon Martin repped this.
  14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All 24 teams in review | Week 23 analysis
    August 12, 2019, 12:55AM EDT
    Tom Bogert

15. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spatters53, goussoccer, dcochran and 2 others repped this.
  16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Agreed with your post, this though was what I agreed with the most. How can you lose focus like that on that last goal.

We gave up a LOT of good opportunities with a goalie, IMHO, that played GREAT and kept us in the game and still let up 3 goals, for a lineup that ostensibly had 7 people committed to defense....

18. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I'm much more critical of Seattle's 1st 2 goals than their 3rd. The 3rd one is a long shot going to Turner's right that deflects off the inside of Farrell's leg and abruptly moves to his left. Thats not a loss of focus by either the defender or the keeper. Maybe on the MF for not closing Lodeiro down, but I'd say the 2nd goal was a much better example of failing to close down, even if the star of that screwup is still Castillo

a517dogg repped this.
  19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I was thinking in the general sense. We have the ball on the kickoff and a minute later we're picking it up out of our net? Yes, it was a tough break on the deflection, but after giving up the 1st goal (2nd overall), we should have the poise to control the ball, keep it, move it around, etc. - not immediately end up back on the defensive.

Doublecard and goussoccer repped this.
  20. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    What he said.

Seattle scored at 64:07 and then again at 65:10. So in a minute and 3 seconds the ball went from our goal to midfield, everyone got onsides and ready, we kicked it off, Seattle got the ball and then put it in our net. That's pretty pathetic.

21. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Haha yeah there is that.

Conversely, because of the camera work at NBC we have no idea what lead to the Sounders having the ball, only that suddenly Lodeiro has the ball in soace moving into our attacking 3rd.

I blame Wilf