P/I/P: Match 21, Revs vs Vancouver 7/17/2019, 7:00PM ET [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jul 16, 2019.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been to a five hour Revs match in almost two weeks. With the possible rain and thunderstorms expected for tomorrow, I'm not looking forward to repeating this feat.

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    There was a stormy game way back in the day, where the team was pretty crappy (yeah, shocker, right?), it was pretty poor attendance to begin with and by the time the game ended, after 2 or 3 storm delays, there were probably about 200 of us rain-soaked attendees left.

I think that was in Gillette, but in the 'old' stadium, if it rained anytime in the previous couple of hours, there would be standing puddles under our feet below the aluminum benches. Say what you will about Gillette, I'll never miss that old slum of a stadium.

3. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember one game back in the old stadium where there were multiple lightning delays where we had to leave the seats an wait in the concourse. I had a group of 10 year old boys there for my son's birthday party. He still lists that as one of his best birthday parties ever. I think the stadium was hit several times.

goussoccer and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a couple of years ago at Gillette against Houston. There were maybe 500 people left for the game that ended after midnight.
    The San Jose game? Or was that the one they actually had to postpone even though we had been in the concourse for a while.

5. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was the one where they eventually sent us home after a very long delay. We ran out of things to keep the boys interested so I taught them how to pitch pennies.

swedust repped this.
  6. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there was a deluge against Dallas one time too.

7. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I think it was the San Jose game. I remember driving to that game and seeing a green haze around the horizon under a charcoal gray sky, and thinking "that can't be good." At its peak the lightning was striking every 15-20 seconds for what seemed like an eternity, and the rain was pelting down. We didn't dare leave the concourse.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this all falls apart, I'm so blaming Sean.

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i remember that one. the stairs looks like waterfalls

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs are 4-4-2 at home, taking 14 out of a possible 30 points. A lot of that is obviously under Friedel. Since he was fired, the Revs are 2-0-2, taking 8 out of 12.

Vancouver on the other hand is 1-5-4 on the road, 7 out of 30.

Please don't let this be a trap game.

11. Supahhhrev

Supahhhrev Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Dorchestah, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=elo+don't+bring+me+down+

You had me runnin goin outta my mind
    You had me thinkin I was wasting my time

Don't let me down
    No, no, no, no ,no
    ooh woo hoo

I'll tell you once more
    the Revs need a score
    Don't let me down

Don't let me down, Bruce
    Don't let me down, Bruce
    Don't let me down, Bruce
    Don't let me down

Thanks,
    -Beau

a517dogg, patfan1 and Jon Martin repped this.
  12. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Weather forecast not a whole lot better just a few hours before game time. It's going to be wet with chances of Thunder....good luck to those attending.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap that was a rocket! Thank you Bruce! Welcome to the club Gustavo!

RevsLiverpool and teskicks repped this.
  14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we see a lot more of the Gil / Gustavo combo

teskicks repped this.
  15. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the game get delayed because of the rain/thunder/lightening? I tried to tune it but they didn't have the REVs on. It was some other team. They had like 68% possession and were 12-0 on shots. Couldn't seem to score until right before the half some guy volleyed a pass directly from a corner kick beautifully into the goal. Must be Mexican or South American teams...

Any idea when the Revs will be back from the rain delay?

:);):p

swedust, a517dogg, patfan1 and 4 others repped this.
  16. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, all right, then. It looked for most of that first half like the Revs were still trying to figure out what role Bou is supposed to play. That said, the Revs have six or seven guys you can plausibly imagine scoring, while for Vancouver, Crepeau looks as likely to score as anyone. This is the most lopsided game I've seen in a while. Or at least since Friedel was in charge.

17. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I still don’t know what is going on. They just stayed with that other game. That team that dominated the first half had a lull and a few close calls but ultimately won 4-0. :D

18. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Kudos Diego! Wonderful to see you back!

firstshirt repped this.
  19. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    • So that is what a DP brings!
    • I'm sure everyone was thinking it, but watching he Gil-Bou story unfold was so interesting.
    • Fascinating choice by Arena to just let Bou find the game.
    • Speaking of Arena, I'm trying not to think about how many years of my life have been spent watching a second-rate product, but feeling now like my luck has turned.
    • The horse race: Jones, Bunbury, Delamea, Turner, Agudelo pulling ahead. JF Caicedo (and in their absence, Castillo and Zahibo) falling behind. Bye with no defensive errors, but poor crosses. Penilla fluffs a breakaway, but then combines well. Beardless Diego with a nice cameo.
    • Liked Rose, Hwang In-beom, and Reyna for Vancouver, but they need help.

RevsLiverpool, edcrocker, pwykes and 2 others repped this.
  20. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    IMHO, Diego was his fierce self. After having his natural superlative talents regressively degraded by Heaps, Friedel, Diego, himself, and previous teams’ player combinations, he finally had the opportunity to play in tonight’s Vancouver game his sport - and it showed, “cameo” or revival of natiral ability, or not. Remember his first game as a home-grown Revs. player ~ 2 goals straight out of the blocks. I’m surprised, but very pleased, that Arena subbed him. Maybe he sees the potential in this “kid?”

edcrocker repped this.
  21. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs might be good, and I've apparently forgotten how to process this emotionally.

22. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked Arena's comment at half time "I taught him(Bou) that in practice yesterday".

23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very impressed with Jones last night. Incredible speed, seemed to have a good read on the game. Hope he gets more PT. I like him better that Castillo

24. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    IBIB --- I Believe In Bruce. Wow--- what a great game, a dominant performance all the way around. Great signing (at least so far) -- seemed strong on the ball, savvy with what to do and what a freaking finish!! That was a sweet goal.

Should have gotten more out of the first half dominance, but that is getting a little picky.

Great game....I'm beginning to believe again!!

25. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a fun game. I figured if Kraft was going to splash the cash I needed to go to see for myself. Too bad the rain killed the crowd. Even though we didn’t score (until the golazo), that first half was the most dominant I’ve seen the Revs in a very long time. At the 44th minute I was starting to think this could be a game that we let Vancouver back into. (Been following the Revs for too long!)

In addition to that shot, Bou has great vision and a remarkable feel on his passes. He seems very relaxed in a crowd with a nice economy to how he swings through the ball. He is bigger than I thought from the vids and handles pressure without getting distracted. He and Gil are going to terrorize a lot of defenses. The plan early seemed to be to get the ball wide to Bye for the cross. I thought Bye was actually pretty good with his crosses, but the ’Caps loaded the box and were better than us in the air. Raise your hand if you think Teal of old would have shown the composure to stay in control through his turn and get that last goal over the keeper. I didn’t either.

The subs all worked out well. It will be interesting to see the next lineup. LCaicedo is out. Hopefully, we see Caldwell over Zahibo. Penilla and Diego were great but still may be coming off the bench given the players in front of them

RevsLiverpool and a517dogg repped this.