P/I/P: Match 21, Revs vs Vancouver 7/17/2019, 7:00PM ET [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jul 16, 2019.

1. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver are the Freidel Revs of the west. Last place, less than a point per game. It was fun to dominate. No doubt the BA Revs are vastly improved but I’m looking forward to that home date against LAFC. How well they play is as interesting as the result. Can the BA REVS hang with the MLS elite?

TOAzer repped this.
  2. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be a fascinating match. The first one that has me genuinely excited to see how the Revs play in many years.

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Luis Caicedo had a terrific game, very active, disrupting things all over, then giving the ball off to Gil. :thumbsup:

Rather frustrating 1st half, with the Revs dominating, but seemed unsure how to get in that threatening shot. Arena was pacing and shaking his head for most of the half - I'll bet Bou's goal took the wind out of his planned halftime lecture.

Bou and Gil were constantly looking for each other. They worked with Agudelo too, but he showed his lack of imagination every time he received the ball.

The difference between Bou and Gil and the rest of our attackers (okay, *one* of the things) is how quickly they can get a shot off. Bunbury, Agudelo, JCaicedo, etc. all had lots of possession in the box, but either didn't shoot or got blocked almost every time. OTOH, Gil had been looking for the same shot he scored on several times before - when he got the sliver of an opening, his shot was off before the defender could get out to block it.

OTOH, Bunbury's goal showed a lot to me - the quick turn and blast showed a real sense of urgency to get the shot while he had an opening.

Easy to forget that this was a nervous 1-0 lead up until about the 80th minute! The Revs kind of let the game get away from them to start the 2nd half.

And, ... both teams had shots off the post when the result was still in doubt.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Feldman was just in the process of making the excuse for the Revs that they had blown a lead in DC because they had to travel on game day because of storms (never mind that Montreal had to do the same coming here and smoked us).

Someone mentioned it earlier, but yes... that Teal should would go out for a throw-in, if he wasn't on his annual streak. Here's hoping that streak continues though.

One of the biggest things that I've noticed from this team now is that when someone gets the ball, not only are the immediately on the move, but the runners are too. I felt way too often under Friedel, someone (Gil, Swags, Diego, whomever) would get the ball, and everyone would just stop and watch. The play would stop and then just break down. They're flying around for Arena.

The high-press worked great for the Revs, especially in the first half. I think the Caps had possession in our box twice in the first 30 last night, as they couldn't get it out of their own end.

That shot by Bou ... Love, love, love. Actually, all four goals were well-taken.

Finally, I'm trying to stay a little even-keeled right now. That was a very inept Vancouver team. You've got another two straight that you SHOULD win, or at least, not lose. Our defense wasn't tested at all last night.

Then comes August 3rd. Then comes the test to see what this team is made of, especially on the backline.

5. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    The difference in watching the team now rather then watching the clueless Brad team is like night and day. Everybody looks better! If we could have only held on to he who shall not be named until the departure of B & B (Brad & Burns), I think we could contend for the divisions top spot. I think we need one more top center defender to be sure (not our highly paid, still hurt Englishman). I think his days are numbered in New England

Bou's goal - Unless you've played the game, you may not appreciate just how difficult that shot was to make. Not only was it a fully volley, he also hit it with the outside of his right foot which made the ball bend away from the goalie. Both tasks are difficult alone. Combining them into a single event is amazing. This absolutely should be "goal of the week" on the MLS site. Hands down

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what ... as I see who was on the bench and could be brought in last night, my frustration with the Krafts and the Revs FO of the past continues to boil.

This was EXACTLY the argument we used to have here in regards to open roster spots. Don't bring in someone for the sake of filling a spot, but bring in someone that makes player #1 become player #2, player 11 become player 12. Don't bring in player 27 to be player 27, but bring in better players which only makes your bench stronger by pushing the depth.

Bou is that type of signing. Gil was that type of signing.

We could have had a Cup or two if they had acted this way ...

7. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Arena likes Zahibo. I get the impression he likes Penilla in that off the bench energy role, which seems to be working. I can imagine Diego getting more minutes or even a start if Arena decides this is a good game to rest Agudelo or Bunbury.

8. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like we should wait at least through the first Arena era off-season has passed before making firm conclusions but, so far, the new Management is really shining a spotlight on how mis-managed (not just talking coaching) this organization has been SINCE INCEPTION! There was somewhat better management before Biello and Burns, but it was never great.

It is too bad that Kraft can’t be sued for malpractice by the fans...

9. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do have a history of business guys filling the role of general manager. I look back and wonder what would have happened if Todd Smith hadn't become critically ill; he was more of a soccer guy than Brian O'Donovan before him and Craig Tornberg after him. It may have just been the tragic, dumb luck of cancer that set the Revs on the route they ended up on as much as anything.

10. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't need malpractice, you need to do what I did...stop watching and purchasing any Revs' goods. Did I make a difference...no, but I wasn't alone, so it did have a small impact on the Krafts.
    If you could sue for malpractice, the Krafts should have been sued for putting a defective product on the field many years ago.:mad:

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    If virtually everyone else can make a turnaround under Arena, why not Mancienne? He hasn't been bad this year, just unspectacular - and that was dealing with a significant injury.

I'd like to see what he can do now, when he's supposedly healthy and the whole team is functioning well.

A Casual Fan and a517dogg repped this.
  12. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Todd Smith!!! Thank you. I was failing to remember the name.

I stopped going, I stopped purchasing merchandise. I continued to watch many games on TV, growing more and more reliant on delayed viewing with heavy use of skip forward.

13. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Against Cinnci they could conceivably play without a nominal DM. 3 man midfield with Bou, Gil, Agudelo, and/or Diego with Teal and Penilla on the wings and JFC up top.

Might also be a good game to get some minutes for Rennicks and Buchannon. Heck maybe we even see Angking or Firmino in MF.

(I wouldnt mind Scotty, but definitely cant be Wilf. I think the roster and opponent will allow Bruce to be flexible)

14. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    The 2 improvements I will be watching for are: 1. whether Agudelo can absorb some guile from Gil and Bou - become a more intelligent CM, and 2. whether the defense can become more smothering in transition. Our weakest moments last night were when the Hwang released Reyna and/or Venuto when Revs had only one or two shirts back. If they were a better team, we would have been behind 2-1.

15. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bou's golazo is an example of what a dp brings to the table. Sometimes a moment of sublime skill is needed to break the ice.

16. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    You have described my behavior pattern almost perfectly - I think I wrote this exact line once or twice, with the exception that I still watched all the games, not just "many". (A far fall from once being a long term multiyear season ticket holder.)

17. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am now watching all the games thanks to the recent changes. I don’t see myself becoming a season tick holder again though. Having stopped, I realize that I dislike the ride to/from Gillette, don’t like the Gillette atmosphere, detest the price of drinks/snacks (Common to all major sports), dislike the few games with football lines and turf, and can’t make midweek games very often.

I guess it’s either individual game tickets or one of their 4 or 6 packs for me.

a517dogg and TOAzer repped this.