P/I/P: Match 2, Crew @ Revs, 3/9, 2:00PM (ET)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 7, 2019.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, Crew week! Now that the Save the Crew movement is over, we can go back to our usual mode of hatin' on them like we always have!

Cleetus Crewfan was at work at the auto shop. His boss sees him drinking brake fluid at lunch.
    "What are you doing, man? You can't drink that stuff!"
    "Relax," replied Cleetus, "this stuff tastes pretty good, and I don't drink it all the time."
    "Seriously," the boss exclaimed, "that brake fluid is poison!"
    "Hey, man" yelled Cleetus, "back off! I can stop any time I want."

Seriously, I'm all in favor of Crew fans owning guns. That increases the odds of two of them blowing each other's heads off.

3. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Its Breakfluid man, and so right now i gotta hydrate and maintain while I get my 15

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say there is a chance to see JC in a sub role if they are down late but I would not push him into service if he is not ready and not needed. Save him for next week. I predict the Revs settle for 1 pt at home. 1-1 Zardes and Gil scoring.
    For those watching at home every time Homer Brad says Delorean you must take a shot of whiskey or chug a beer!

6. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Will be interesting to see what Friedel does with the following groupings and who plays and who is on bench (ie, what is Friedel's plan/assessment of how to win):
    1. Agudelo, Bunbury, and Fagundez - a lot depends on C2 status
    2. Zahibo, Caldwell, and C1
    I will be interested to see which goalkeeper makes the bench - assuming Knighton starts

7. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Did you hear there is a new genetic ancestry service in Columbus? It's called 22 and Me!

a517dogg, patfan1, rkupp and 1 other person repped this.
  8. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GAME DAY!!!

dncm repped this.
  9. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Just noticed the earlier than usual start. Will help fans in Foxboro stay warm(er) that sun is out -- yay, MLS schedulers.

10. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Some 1st half thoughts:
    Bye did a nice job playing Bunbury into space. Bunbury was solid both defensively and going forward, and got 3 nice chances to do stuff. However no one supported him, so the plays fizzled out.

The Revs seem to be focusing their attack down the right. Its strange, because their stronger attacking players are all on the left.

Zahibo cost the Revs the goal, he needs to close down with more urgency, not much anyone else could have done once that cross gets played in.

11. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Imagine paying hard earned money to watch this bullshit

pwykes and TOAzer repped this.
  12. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh.....

CDPontaDelgada repped this.
  13. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I liked the way Castillo and Bye played today. Everyone else gets a C or worse

14. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New cards carried by MLS refs.

r-y cards NOT.jpg

Revs in 2010 repped this.
  15. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why we drink.

TOAzer repped this.
  16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical Revs. Just not quite good enough.

dncm repped this.
  17. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uninspired and confusing to me.

I like to see Castillo getting forward but that is cutting into Panilla's effectiveness. I think Castillo spent more time in the middle of the field than on the left. I don't understand these tactics.

dncm and BrianLBI repped this.
  18. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So on the plus side, Friedel seems to have given up on the press. On the minus side, he doesn’t seem to have replaced it with anything. The first half was boring, if low risk. The second half was more dangerous and interesting, but also riskier. Our defense didn’t look any better than last year. Our dmids were lackluster. Our attack lacks strikers/poachers who can put it away. And it’s not clear that we’ve got any strategy at all.

It’s still early days. But unless the Caicedos get into the lineup soon and play like gang busters, and we get a difference maker DP, this feels like a retread of last year at best.

dncm and BrianLBI repped this.
  19. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Castillo is.a real live wire and I thought was MOM and I thought Diego was for the most part great, but you've got to bury the penalty. Otherwise not much. I was (unlike most others) impressed with Rennicks but thought Buchanan was good (although hard to judge when he comes on fresh at minute 80).

I don't think Bye, Caldwell, Zahibo, Bunbury or Aguedelo are good enough to be starters on an MLS playoff team

Mancienne got beaten by Zardes on both goals. The first one was a great cross but he was not hustling getting back on the second.

I worry that Brad is so focused on showing that he is the boss that he loses sight of, for example, that Penilla is our most dangerous player and that while Bunbury works hard he isn't really a very skilled soccer player

CynicRev repped this.
  20. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lack of investment in the squad, watching Minnesota and they have Quintero, Mannone, Alonso, Gregus, Schuller, Opara and Calvo

They are a new team and like us they are not a massive cosmopolitan place like LA or NY

Jon Martin, dncm and TOAzer repped this.
  21. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA

Bunbury should not be a starter on any MLS team. Never have been impressed with his play. A lot of effort but the skill is lacking. Friedel trying again to make a point/send a message by making two halftime subs without anything to show for it. My guess is that kind of move is going to backfire. Perilla is one of the Revs best players, even on an off day. Friedel is out of his depth.

CynicRev repped this.
  22. Kenp

Kenp BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Hmmm. Did anyone stick around for the post game program? Brad Friedel was about to be interviewed, when they cut to a 7 minute segment of Comcast public service messages and assorted commercials.

When they returned to the program, no Friedel. Just replays, and no mention of what Friedel said, nor any mention of technical difficulties. The Revs website posted the usual calm, matter of fact post-game Friedel interview, which was clearly recorded at a later time.

I wonder if there were technical issues, or whether something else went on?

dncm, A Casual Fan and TOAzer repped this.
  23. Kenp

Kenp BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #23 Kenp, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    I think the Revs missed out on some great potential acquisitions-

John Mary- plays for Meizhou Hakka of the 2nd tier league in China
    Maka Mary- plays for SC Bastia
    Ludovic Mary- available! at a price the Revs are willing to pay. ($0)
    Eric Mary- FSV Hilbringen

With their current approach to attacking football, it makes sense to have as many Marys in the lineup as possible to hail.

ToMhIlL and rkane1226 repped this.
  24. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FO is on it as we speak. They're about to announce Typhoid Mary as their new DP signing. Gotta say, the word on the streets is that she's a game changer with killer skillz,

POdinCowtown and Jon Martin repped this.
  25. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    The positives:
    • The weather - how great was that. Sitting in the sun, watching soccer - perfect
    In all seriousness, the one thing I did like about Gil trying to look for penetrating passes. Instead of just swinging the ball side to side, I can remember a moment when he could have just passed to Castillo, but instead was looking central while holding the ball.

Problem was there was no quality in front of him getting into the right spots.

Unless C2 is as delivered, we are still going to struggle for goals.

I watched the game again afterwards on dvr - and Mariner said he thinks Penilla is not 100% fit - ie, carrying a little injury? Was that the reason for the sub or something else?

Agreed - and we play them in a couple of weeks.

I watched this on the DVR and agreed - super weird.

There is a video up on the MLS website where Freidel is saying "we're happy with the players we have"

Including Friedel in this - although he did give debuts to Rennicks and Buchanan.

This sums it up.