P/I/P: Loons vs Revs, Mar 25, 2pm

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Mar 22, 2017.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diego taken down, PK. Tierney takes it, 5-2 Revs

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i am never a fan of letting the guy who gets fouled in the box take the kick but in this case I would have rewarded Diego with the chance for a goal

3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rowe has looked like crap all day

4. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really can't tell much from a game like this one. We probably should have scored even more. I was a little disappointed that we allowed 2 though. The loons are terrible but still managed to score 2. That causes me concern.

I feel a little sorry for Bobby Shuttleworth. Being on that team is a career killer for a goalie.

SamSam, mrt/MLS and dncm repped this.
  5. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The score line belies what was a surprisingly iffy performance against a weak, weak team. We should have roflstomped these guys and we actually gave them hope at moments during the game. I'm glad we won, and we deserved to, but we showed weakness that an MLS-ready team would have capitalized on. Hopefully the D tightens up and Juan and Diego keep loose, because Portland and Houston won't be quite so impotent when we give them the openings we gave the Loons.

SamSam, mrt/MLS and dncm repped this.
  6. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was an incomplete performance defensively. I think it was a natural consequence of playing with 1 DM. Given who we were playing, it wasn't a bad call, but I expect too see Kouassi next week

dncm and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    As others state, 3 points but hard to read much into it. Not only are Minnesota pretty bad, they were depleted of starters so that was the Minnesota B team.

Next week will be a much better gauge. Portland at full strength against Revs at full strength. Both teams equal rest.

8. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Loons were not at full strength and they are not a good team but the REVs did what you are supposed to do against a team like that. 5-2 is a good result in my opinion. The first goal Minn scored was the result of an unfortunate clearance that hit Caldwell and bounced well for the Loons.

9. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I dunno. A win is a win. I was happy enough. I mean 5-2 isn't enough of an ass-kicking? No clean sheet? It's still early in the season, and there are still kinks, but I thought the team played pretty well. I'm not sold on Angoua, or - if I'm honest - Nguyen, but it was a comfortable win.

So by all means, let's see how they look in Portland.

dncm repped this.
  10. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the least satisfying 5-2 win I've watched in at least awhile. I'm beginning to conclude that Angoua might not be good. He can't pass very well, and clearing balls down field seems to be his first instinct.

mrt/MLS repped this.
  11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's probably very talented but his decision making had been suspect since coming to the revs. As for clearing the ball downfield, I'm sure Heaps coached him about this after his bad touch, lack of awareness and subsequent giveaway led to a Dallas goal. He needs to be more tidy in possession, stronger on the ball and not rely on a ref's whistle to bail him out.

12. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know why Kouassi didn't play at all? He went 80 minutes last week, to zero minutes this week. He was on the bench so I assume the injury didn't re-aggravate or something. You'd think we'd want him to get a steady stream of game minutes every week.

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NFLPatriot and dncm repped this.
  14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't perfect but I'll take it, Should give the squad a bit of momentum. Jury is still out as to just how good or below average this years edition of the Rev will be.

dncm repped this.
  15. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree. it somehow didnt feel completely convincing.

offensively we were good, but Minnesota were so bad. defensively, i am still not convinced that we are going to be OK this season.

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to be at the game and see lots of folks.Good times, win or lose!

My biggest concern is that Minnesota is a terrible team, but they still managed to get two goals from the only half-chances they had all game. Well, there was another decent chance that Cropper saved. Still, we shouldn't be giving up 3 shots and 2 goals, ever, especially to a team like this. Other, better teams (and there are 20 of them) will not be as forgiving

17. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Can't be too upset about the first Loon goal. Bizarre ricochet falls directly to Ramirez, and just a fantastic shot from Warner. Bad luck and not defensible.

However giving up the 2nd goal was just sloppy. Silly foul, and horrible marking from Agudelo. If he's that bad at set piece marking, he shouldn't be assigned a centerback to mark.

Overall I thought Agudelo had an OK game, not great. Two goals against a bad opponent - could have had a couple more. Kamara didn't actually get as many chances as I had expected. Nguyen looked more decisive than he looked last season and early in this season. Diego was lively and fun to watch. Maybe he felt like he had to play well to distract from his horrible hair.

I thought it was interesting that, although Nguyen was nominally the #10 in the lineup with Agudelo up front, Nguyen spent most of his time on the left side of the field, as did Diego. They and Tierney both overloaded the left, leaving Rowe to handle the right side, and most of the Revs attacks came down the left side. If you look at the Opta thing on the MLS website, the Loons' right back, who got overwhelmed by Diego & Nguyen, didn't make a tackle all game. So maybe that shows that Heaps had a tactical plan after all.

This was a game I really would have liked to get Herivaux on the field for. It'd be a way to ease him into the MLS speed of play, since the Loons are like a half MLS/half NASL side. But he wasn't even in the 18. Instead we had Daigo, even though we started 3 players that can play as the #10.

18. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree that that was horrible marking by Agudelo. He tracked his man to the far post and prevented his mark from getting the ball. It was a near impossible place to clear the ball from. What was unfortunate was that no one else cleared the second ball.

Horrible marking would have allowed his man to score first touch.

I was impressed with the work Agudelo put in defending throughout the game. Better than some of the other attacking players.

19. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I mean, if defending a ball means gently depositing it directly in front of an opposing player 5 yards from goal... he let his mark get in behind him, was scrambling to catch up, got off balance, and that's why he had his desperate "just get a foot on it" touch. Good marking would have meant he'd be balanced and just boot it straight out of play.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How 'bout Teal? If he had finished his chance (let's fae it, I could have finished that!), he could have made a case for more minutes. But now, I can't see him being the first off the bench when we need a goal kind of guy.

a517dogg repped this.
  21. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said it was good marking. I just disagree with the term word "Horrible". Horrible would be someone, like Lee, letting the runner go unmarked.

22. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or taking safe passes back to the keeper. His confidence did seem to get better as the game went on though.

23. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    When I read this I thought "what coaching would assign Lee to mark someone on a set piece!?" But on the FK, Nguyen was at the top of the box, he wasn't assigned anyone. I can't tell if it's Kamara (stumbling around behind Kallman) or Angoua (cuts across Kallman) who's supposed to stay with Kallman on marking. But overall a mess anyways.

24. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I can't see him being first off the bench for Rochester.

25. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Speaking as someone who's been to a bunch of Rhinos games, he'd be beastly for the Rhinos.

NFLPatriot repped this.