P/I/P LA Zlatans @ Revs, 7/14, 7:30pm [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Jul 13, 2018.

?

Will Zlatan play?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2018.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Who cares!

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went through his legs. More or less bad luck as the LA guys was in the right place at the right time.

2. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Brad Heaps totally owns this one. His late game subs changed the game...the Revs ended up playing in their own end and gave up two late goals. Unacceptable result. This was 3 points wasted by a coaching blunder

TOAzer repped this.
  3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be up 2-1 playing down a man says a lot of good things about this team.

To then blow than in stoppage time says even more about this team.

4 points out of 9 at home against three mediocre (at best) teams. Horrid.

Doublecard and TOAzer repped this.
  4. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    #29 tsb11, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    I get the theory of bringing bye on for agudelo. Bye is positionally a more defdnsive minded player, and agudelo has been playing playing the whole match in a midfield missing a guy. But even though he shows up on the depth chart as a RB, what has bye shown this season defensively? It would have been akin to bringing in somi on the left, neither has shown any passion, let alone ability to defend. I dont mind nemeth for bunbury, teal was definitely gassed and nemeth at least tries to defend (although he is a bit less eager in his press). Making a sub for diego in the last minute of stoppage time after allowing the go ahead goal was also a bit curious, i would think the team would rather have the time than the fitness.

Definitely a crushing loss, too bad the team couldnt put the game away when it had the chance during regulation time

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Wow. A signature win evaporates into a signature loss in seconds.

Not much else to say, other than "you gotta play 90+ minutes".

Okay, more to say: once again, MLS refereeing guidelines make a mockery of the game. Alessandrini makes a totally aggressive, thuggish attack on an opponent, but MLS hard-as-cement rules punish the Revs for a totally inconsequential toe-poke. Alessandrini must have been been laughing his way to the locker room after the game, with back-slaps from his teammates and coach. Good job MLS, way to reward the bad guy.

The right way? Stop with this literal, by the book interpretation - it ruins the game. Let the ref have some judgement - the punishment didn't fit the crime. Maybe Pinella gets a yellow. I would do nothing but a scolding and let MLS fine him after the game if they want.

Soccer has always been a game where the ref was allowed to use some judgment, honor the advantage rule, and do what was in the best interest of the game. Now they've legislated what must be a red card, what is a penalty kick, etc. They're ruining the game - look what they've done to the WC, blowing away the PK record. Just what the game needs, more penalties. :rolleyes:

a517dogg repped this.
  6. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have had one great piece of good fortune this season. Toronto FC has gone completely belly up. What should have been a definite playoff spot taken has now been opened up, and the teams vying for it are all no better than us. So we may crap into a playoff spot and Burns will bray as to how all his "hard work" has been vindicated......:rolleyes:

Brad Friedel, you have been gifted time for a more gentle learning curve... don't blow it, Brad.

dncm and A Casual Fan repped this.
  7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably true, but the Revs remaining schedule (10 of 15 on the road) still scares me. PHI is only 4 behind us with 2 fewer home games played.

Even DCU, although in dead last, is undefeated at home and play 9 more home games (14 to 5) than the Revs do the rest of the way. If they win 5 of those 9, 15 points is enough to catch the Revs.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt Doyle points out that the Revs are 3-3-5 (14 pts) in their last 11.

That works out to 1.27 PPG. If they maintain that pace over the final 15 games, they would finish with 47 pts, only 2 pts more than last year, and still not enough to get above the red line last year (NYRB took the 6th spot with 50 pts).

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  9. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Just wait till the summer signings all arrive......then we'll see something :rolleyes:. Wait..... 36.5K people showed up....... we don't need no stinking signings - "Mike Burns"

TOAzer repped this.
  10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    We have not been getting points, period. Even during our 5 or 7 game unbeaten streak, there were far too few wins. They have been squandering an alarming amount of achievable points.

Feldspar repped this.
  11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one of those players they are looking at better be a CB because Anibaba looked terrible on that last goal

TOAzer repped this.
  12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    "What have you done for me lately", eh?

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I have been saying that all year. I don't care for our CBs. This team will not win trophies with this back 4

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Anibaba has mostly played quite well. He's been exposed a couple of times, but I don't think there's a center back who hasn't.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so no need to upgrade a journey man CB? Barnes played well at time but was exposed a few times maybe bring him back? There was a reason he never stuck with a team too long, they found better options

16. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    i dont think kupp is saying anibaba shoukd get tenure based on his performance, but rather there are quite a few other more glaring holes on the roster that should be filled before starting to worry about upgrading jahlil

17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Right. He has been about our most consistent player this year (maybe, after Turner?).

We can/should upgrade anywhere possible, but because he got toasted in the last play of our last game, that shouldn't make that our top priority.

I think the last few minutes were also pretty rough for Dielna, maybe even mores than Anibaba.

RevsLiverpool, mefster and A Casual Fan repped this.
  18. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Agreed - add to that Orlando with their 2 big moves in Dwyer/Klestijan not really clicking either, plus Chicago/Montreal/Philly all blah out of the gate have allowed the Revs and their fast start to jump ahead.

Will be interesting to see how much DC gets from their boost, what happens if NY loses Adams, and can any of the teams behind us.

Also interesting to note that the Revs at home is not as dominant as last year. The record this year is 6-3-3. Last year it was 12-2-3

TOAzer repped this.
  19. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And on Dellamea being on a walkabout at that moment. Good luck spotting him in the replays. He's up the field for some inexplicable reason. That's why Anibaba and Dielna were scrambling.

20. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. mefster

mefster Member

Jul 31, 2007
    East Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So it looks like at least one Revs fan got to see Zladan. In the MLS video replay of his goal vs DC, a fan in a Revs jersey is celebrating. Approximately seconds 11 to 16. The people he is with are not wearing Revs kit, so probably visiting a friend or an "ex pat."

23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, sorry I disagree. That's a red anywhere in the world. You can't kick out at the opponent even if he made a harsh tackle or baited you. You mentioned refs have judgment, well players do too. It's about having discipline there, especially given the ref was only a few feet away. They ALWAYS punish the one who retaliates. Stupid decision by Penilla.

firstshirt, teskicks and patfan1 repped this.
  24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That doesn't make it right - that's pretty much my point.

Looked to me like there was no real contact and that it was pretty much a poke. The foul was so much harder, reckless and dangerous than what Penilla did while sitting on his butt - even if it was stupid.

25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't make it right? Well that's your opinion but I'm talking about the rules and context of the game.