P/I/P Home opener Rapids verse SKC, 7PM Sat. 3/24

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, Mar 23, 2018.

1. jimijam28

jimijam28 Member+

Nov 9, 2010
    Denver area
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was huge- 3-0 game over

2. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This...!

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both KC goals came from unmarked trailing runners, something KC was getting away with all night. I don't know if Hudson didn't see it and adjust or if the team just didn't apply the changes.

The team looks better than last year but the time for moral victories was past in 2015. The only thing that matters now is points on the board. We have 1.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same guys as last year, based on the result...

Dom. FC, fortcollins, zapem_10 and 4 others repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Once the Rapids went up 2-0 they seemed content and they seemed to be okay ceding possession to KFC. With most of the match still left tp play this was not a prescription for success. Ultimately the Rapids paid the price.

Very disheartening to say the least.

I think at the half KFC had 61% of the possession - I know the Rapids had the lead, but still.

What's with giving up goal in the closing minute of the match? That's not habit that's going to serve them well.

fortcollins, zapem_10 and JasonMa repped this.
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Yup, and the Rapids should have 4 at this point.

Moral victories are going to just make this supporter more frustrated at this point.

What's alarming is for two consecutive matches the Rapids have dropped points at the very end of the match.

fortcollins and JasonMa repped this.
  7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    They pressed hard and came up with the two early goals, and were basically sitting back the last 70 minutes or so. So it made sense they tried to start attacking again once KC scored. Blowing the lead seemed inevitable.

Very disappointing game. What the hell were they doing off the kick off sending Smith deep up the left for a long ball? The first two goals were terrific, now other teams know to watch for long runs for the long ball. What do the Rapids do then? Nothing, apparently. They seemed content to try to eke out a win by sitting on the ball. Howard was wasting time in the 1st half, shameful.

8. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Sometimes possession stats do say a lot about a game:

[​IMG]

9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    How the hell do they give up a goal by allowing a hold up man hold the ball in the middle of the area and lay it off to a runner? Gah.

KC usually has good movement around the area and seemed to recover that, esp. in the 2nd half. Wasn't there a game last year where the Rapids beat them despite being outshot by a lot? I guess this game made up for that.

10. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very disappointing result given the early goals. Of the new addditions, I liked Castillo, Price, and Blomberg. The goals were beautiful. The first half had a vintage Howard performance. Unfortunately, the officiating was also vintage MLS ... unsure what the ref was thinking, maybe Hudson slept with his wife?

11. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes no sense to me. What's magical about 2015? How is the 2018 team have any connection to 2015?

12. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I am not surprised about last night's result (I said 2-2 was likely). The way it happened was a big surprise, though.

SKC is really good at scoring. One can't be too upset about giving up a goal. 2 isn't great, but still not unusual. We just needed a 3rd.

Thinking about who is missing - Ford, Aigner, Gashi, and Boli - and I have hope still for the season. Ford is better than Wynne at D. Aigner will be a big help in service. No clue how Gashi comes back. Boli should be better than McBean/Badji/Mason at scoring.

The last 2 games had lost points right at the end. One or two of these players likely is enough to make the difference a couple of minutes makes and we are sitting at 4 instead of 1.

So, I am going to appreciate the improvement and lament the lack of results. While avoiding a complete "the season is already lost" mentality until we are at least a few more games in.

Having said that, I am the one who always said results matter. So, if we are 5 games in sitting on 3 pts, I will be fairly unhappy....

(BTW, good to meet you in person, Wormhole! It was crowded last night, it will be easier to connect over the season!)

rod.

13. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Slept on it and the tie doesn't feel any better today.

I'm wondering about the new defensive formation (which I've never liked). It's one thing to give one up a late goal when a team is pressing--you know, they maybe win a corner, then someone gets a lucky header under pressure that finds a post and in. But Rapids defenders don't know who to guard. Opponents run open over and over. Is there anyone who would rather have this year's defense over last year's defense (Sjoberg and Ford at CB) with a two goal lead? I mean, I get a new formation takes time, but every one of the players knows what falling back and marking opponents in extra time means. And weren't these guys signed precisely because they understood how to play a three man back line?

Ugh.

COMtnGuy, Stuart95, JasonMa and 4 others repped this.
  14. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I agree with the overall sentiment that a tie still feels like crap.

To be fair on your question "Is there anyone who would rather have this year's defense over last year's defense (Sjoberg and Ford at CB) with a two goal lead?", I ask "Does anyone think least year's team could even get 2 goals, let alone have a 2 goal lead"?

Also, Ford is missing due to injury. That is not a fair comparison as well. One could ask why Sjoberg isn't playing, but I suspect his skills don't mesh with what this formation needs (he is big and controlling, seems like this formation needs people who can run and run fast.)

rod.

JasonMa and Andy126 repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team on the field may not but tits the same organization and the same fan base. The team can;t rest on moral victories after what they asked of the fanbase through the Pablo era. I recognize that's not completely fair to Smith and Hudson but they had to know what the situation was when they took the jobs. Quite frankly Hinchey and Pablo played the fanbase for suckers over and over, and now this group has to produce or it will feel like more of the same.

COMtnGuy and fortcollins repped this.
  16. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thoughts:
    • The first 10 minutes we're shocking.
    • I thought there was improvement over the last match, despite the result.
    • I think this team is better than last year's, but i don't yet have the confidence to say it's improved enough to keep up with the competition, given growth across the league.
    • I really like the Rapids Desksite (I think I might have made fun of it when it was launched, but it's grown on me). That said, this week's videos were selling the message this team is still growing, building, learning... all synonyms for the unspoken word, rebuilding.
    • There was a lot of investment this off-season in the whole organization. Locker room improvements, stadium murals, the field video boards, game day activities... Seen and unseen there is a refreshingly focused and renewed energy this year. Things I thought should have happened in 2015 when the Rapids were feeding off the energy hosting the MLS All-Star game.
    • C38 and section 108 is a blast. Haven't had that much fun at any sporting event in a long time! Wish I'd moved sooner.
    • Great to meet Rod1916 and JasonMa.
    • JasonMa is taller in real life. :ROFLMAO:

Andy126, JasonMa and Rod1916 repped this.
  17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Rapids are only two games in and still waiting for Aigner, Boli, etc.

But according to whoscored.com, they once again lead the league in "inaccurate long balls" per game. In 2018 they have the 3rd fewest average shots per game in the area, compared to finishing last in 2017.

Dom. FC and Rod1916 repped this.
  18. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see ...

I guess I'm on the outside of that. I figure Hinchey and Bravo played the fans for fools going back to since 2012. I can't hang that on Smith and Hudson. If I were to see them as a continuation then I'd have to give up now.

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #94 m vann, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    My observation live, in the stadium,was just confirmed watching the match replay. It rings true for both matches thus far. I’ve seen some good individual play - Castillo, Badji, Howard, Martinez, Price - but it has not translated to team success. That just reiterates the notion that it’s a work in progress and the boys are still learning and adjusting to each other. The individual play can only take you so far before the team play must take over. The movement, communication, tactical sense, and energy just sunk the 2nd half. That plays into getting to know one another, I don’t expect us to be in mid-season form right now. That’s unrealistic with all the new faces. I do expect progress from game 1 to game 2 to game 3 to game 4. We should be hitting on all cylinders by that 5th game. I’m not saying dismiss the games until then. Hardly. We need results. It’s a must. I am just saying stylistically and tactically we should have an firm identity by that 5th match. As much, as I want to say “same shit, different day” I can’t consciously say that because of the new regime and new faces. It’s unfair. It does take time to gel. I am optimistic but still my optimism is on the clock.

Andy126, spot, JasonMa and 3 others repped this.
  20. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot one cool thing, LED sideboards ... welcome to MLS 2.0.

Also, where did you guys meet up, at the C38 tailgate?

area815, COMtnGuy, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  21. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is only having them on oneside of the stadium MLS 2.0 or was that introduced in 1.311?

22. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is progress spot!

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's actually not unusual around the world outside of the true big clubs/leagues.

24. FloatingPoint

FloatingPoint Member

Jul 12, 2003
    As much as I appreciate kicking off the thread with an optimistic prediction, unless the teams are about to throw down some poetry I'd prefer "versus" over "verse."

As for the game in general, I'll choose to look at it with rose colored glasses and appreciate the positives. Whether I'll still feel that way in a few months from now remains to be seen.

AlbertCamus and IndyRapids04 repped this.
  25. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    You can't expect perfection with so many new players. But the defense was absolutely atrocious. If Hudson doesn't get it fixed in the next few games I don't see how the 532 experiment can be allowed to continue.