P/I/P Game 9: L.A. Galaxy @ Houston, SATURDAY 5/5/18, 5:30pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Apr 29, 2018.

1. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no point in keeping Romain if Sigi want let him go 90 consistently. We might as well just get 3 new DP's if he is going to keep doing this type of stuff. Hell I would even go and see if we could get Marcelo Sarvas and Juninho back and give those 2 the Dos Santos bros paychecks, then use the last spot on A real Goalkeeper or Centerback; that or just use that DP money on two starting defenders that are above average.

2. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw it, lets just bring back Bruce

3. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So let's get rid of sigi and get a experienced football manager who will sit anyone's arse who doesn't show his worth at training.

4. RAJ88

RAJ88 Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Vom Steeg is a young guy and has upside. He played second division in Germany, has youth national team experience, and he beat out Sylvestre. Why not see what he has? He would be a stop gap until the summer or he might win the job for the year.

Hilliard-Arce needs experience. He has the potential to be a good CB. He was right there in the conversation as being the best defender in the draft along with Moutinho who has gotten minutes with LAFC.

Dr.Phil and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  5. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Tony Robbins has recently been exposed as a vile piece of filth! F that guy!

He also recently said some not so nice things about the # metoo movement.

Evidence of vile filth
    [​IMG]

napper, Geneva, 7E23 and 2 others repped this.
  6. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless its Arsene Wenger I am not really interested. I still haven't washed the bad taste out of my mouth that Ruud Gullit put there. I'd rather see another team experiment with a foreign coach at this point than us.

7. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlight Time Folks

Ugh on to the next game

8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best moment of that game was Ibra to Gio to Ola. That was just great. But it's hard to watch 2 hours of soccer for 10 seconds of sublime.

This team. I'm not very attached. I would keep Jona, he is quality, and I might keep Ola and Ema and Seba, and the rest of them I don't care. It's harder to stay connected to this Galaxy team than at any time since I've been a fan, which is longer than I've been on BigSoccer.

Throwing Sigi overboard isn't going to help. Part of the problem with the defense, with the whole team, is the lack of familiarity together.

I agree with the calls to play the youth - Hilliard Arce and Vom Steeg (is he young?) and Ema and Lletget.

10. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You look at Martino in Atlanta or Bradley at LAFC. Managers with national team experience and time spent in different leagues.

11. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Sorry to miss the game - Just watched the highlights. Our defense is embarrassing. The way we just cough up stupid cartoon goals is laughable.
    On that first goal, any rules experts want to explain to me offside rule? Last time I was refereeing and familiar with the laws of the game for a player in an offside position to be passive he/she had not affect the play - e.g. not screen the keeper, make a play on the ball, interfere with someone making a play on the ball. It sure looked like the clearly offside player was involved in the play and AR raised the flag - seems like another bad VAR call to me. (I don't think it influenced the final outcome as I'm sure at this point no matter how many goals we score our defense will just give up one more.)

12. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slow, boring, and absolutely predictable failures.

Was that our old friend Leo that Ola beat for the second goal?

As the late, great, Jim Healy used to say, "The bad teams lose the close ones."

13. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    On the attack, we lined up in 4-3-3 but didn't seem to play it. The big advantage of a 4-3-3 is that it's built around triangles making it easy to possess the ball and move it around. That isn't how we play and probably we can't play that way. There was one point when we had four attacking players line up right on the Houston back line

X-----X-----X-----X

leaving the other two players on their own.

We seem to end up with players isolated from each other. How many times did we see Alessandrini, Kamara or Kitchen (!) with their heads down trying to dribble through the defense with no one around to help.

Great individual performances on the goals, but as a team, we're a mess and I don't see a solution.

As for the defense, we just seem dumb. We don't anticipate and we keep making mental mistakes.

Hilliard-Arce didn't play in the GII game. Is he hurt?

14. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I thought it was offsides too. The guy coming from the offside position basically picked the defender covering the goal scorer.

TrickHog repped this.
  15. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this rate, we should be in line for three or four wins on equally bad VAR calls going our way to "even things out over the course of the season."

Trying to look on the bright side about yesterday. All I could come up with was the game was on TV so I didn't have to waste time in traffic going to and from Stub Hub.

16. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good examples and if we can get someone with those qualities great. I was thinking more of a Veira or like TBGamer mentioned an Arsen Wenger type manager. Someone who can teach football defense fundamentals, I mean we're truly awful and it's criminal to think our youngsters or draft picks are going to have a strong grasp of how to play those positions with our in house managerial staff who have never played or trained at the highest level.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  17. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s very generous.

L.A. Native repped this.
  18. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Someone else said we should sit Kamara, and I hate to say it, but that's where I am. I think we have two functional lineups.

-----------Zlatan-----------
    -----------Gio--------------
    Lletget------------Alessandrini
    ------Jona-----Kitchen----------

Gio is free to wander around and he doesn't have to worry about being "the man", Zlatan will take all the attention. All of the front 4 can play a possession game, lots of passing, lots of moving around.

or, we sit Gio

------------Kamara-----------------
    -------------------Zlatan------------
    Lletget-----------------Alessandrini
    ------------Jona------------------------
    ----------------Kitchen----------------

More of a traditional counter. Kamara as the 9. Zlatan in the free role. Jona fills more of the space in the middle. Boateng fits better in this lineup too.

19. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we are going to choke nearly every game because the back 4 is so inept, why not let him get that experience on the field against MLS' best. Could it be that much worse than it is now?

TrickHog and Ghosting repped this.
  20. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ibra will kick him upside the head, it looks like he's had enough of Ciani, Romney and Steres for sure. He tolerates Cole because he knows once he had quality and now should play with his head not physical ability. People mention Cole as a liability but he tries more than he should because of the crap he's playing next to save Fleschter. This falls mostly on Sigi/Kinnear for their careless personnel choices.

ragbone and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #171 skydog, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Our lack of quickness/speed on the backline and at dm is almost unfixable. Playing smart would help but they would still be slow. Outside backs have to be very quick if they hope to prevent MLS's younger, faster players from getting a cross off.

As a thought experiment think how hard RA and Lletget have to work to beat opposing defenders to the end line. RA could do it when he was at his best but that was only because he had such a great cutback move. This season he's struggling to get any crosses off.

Contrast that to opposing forwards/mids facing Rolf, Cole or Romney (on the right side at least). They just don't put up that kind of resistance - forwards beat them on a regular basis. Lack of quickness means Cole and Rolf both have two bad choices when defending - back off and let them cross the ball (Cole does this a lot) or step up and watch as they blow past (Rolf's favored solution).

Now back when we had quick and or big/physical cb's (like Jelle and AJ) they were able to clean up most of the crosses that leaked through for the most part. But now we have Steres and Skjelvik who are don't read the game that well and in general are reactive rather than proactive plus Ciani who is proactive at the wrong times and you are left with cb's who are regularly trying to figure out why the ball is in the back of their net.

And of course being backed by a gk whose feet are nailed to the ground makes the whole mess worse.

But wait we aren't done! To finish off this with a beautiful bow all we needed was to add an ultra slow dm who repeatedly fouls just outside the box because he can't keep up with opponents. We did that and now we have the defensive disaster that we've endure watching week after week.

tldr vers: slow ob's + poor cb's + bad gk + slow, not smart dm = a team where no lead is safe and a loss is always on the horizon.

mbar, ProudNatRN, shelbo and 2 others repped this.
  22. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man... I've been traveling for the last month and haven't been able to watch anything but highlights (or low-lights, as the case may be). I feel like there is a lack heart, belief, and trust in the team. Yeah... the defenders aren't as good as guys we've had in the past, but it seems like there's a huge problem with lack of commitment and support, which is more of a coaching thing than anything else.

23. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m in pain.

24. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This prediction will be right for most games this year.

The Beautiful Gamer and napper repped this.
  25. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    So many comments of bitter disappointment, let me add mine. It has become torture to watch this team attempt to play week in and week out and I see no miraculous changes coming soon. Shades of last year but more hurtfull now because of the changes in personnel on and off the field. HOW!? can this team be playing as badly now? One comment was made that this team may just need time to find itself because of the restructure and that may be sadly true but I am starting turn away from the players (although theres issues there) to look directly at the coaching staff. This team-wide lethargy and glacial development has your signature on it guys. You cannot just place the blame solely on the players backs by simply saying its lack of concentration on their part any more. No more