P/I/P Game 8: L.A. Galaxy vs NYRB, SATURDAY 4/28/18, 7:30pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Apr 22, 2018.

1. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will blame the ref.

2. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch them expand it to 5 DPs. Galaxy start winning again and like you said, everyone but NYCFC will start whining.

However, we already spend more than most of the teams now. If one thing is hindering this team it's Sigi.

generaladmissision18 repped this.
  3. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Home from the game and on my first bowl of ice cream. It's not helping. Is it really that hard to be a referee? I don't know if the VAR calls/no calls were right, but I saw plenty of blown calls without VAR - enough to make me think that if the game was going to be decided by instant replay then I should damn well get to see those replays on the big screen.

4. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The referee sucked tonight....

But, our defense was horrible. I thought Ciani was directly responsible on the 2nd goal and we can't go three months with Romney at right back. Having said that, defence starts in the midfield and our midfield has been non-existent all year. Did anyone notice we have trouble getting the ball out of own half, but NYRB makes two passes and they are on our 18 - happened ALL night long.

Gio is so soft, he never wins a 50-50 ball and is easily pushed around. He lacks speed, he lacks heart, he has to go. Romain was working his ass off out there and Gio is having a Sunday stroll.

We have talent, but we have the wrong personnel. We are still trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Kamara was the best G on the field tonight, but we can't stick him out on the left, it makes no sense. Ema on the left, Kamara striker, Zlatan drops a little and Gio is benched forever.

MPNumber9, rokstedy, luigi-55 and 3 others repped this.
  5. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We just aren't good enough to overcome a couple mental mistakes and a couple blown calls by the refs.

MPNumber9, Berks, patopreto and 3 others repped this.
  6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #206 Dr.Phil, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    We played a lot better and Kamara was like Mandzukic for Juventus playing a pseudo wide attacking mid /striker

Alessandrini was good and Lletget was good in the middle.

Mathis was right at half time, kitchen doesn't do well to show for the ball when the backline has it.

Very unlucky result but we played well

Check out @_BrittJo’s Tweet:

7. GermanyFC

GermanyFC Member

Jul 14, 2008
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Zlatan's goal was according to Sigi clearly onside then Why The F**k did they not use VAR? They have to be consistent with VAR. It shouldn't only be used to overturn offside goals, but to overturn disallowed onside goals, right? If anything the offense should be favored, no? And goals should have to obviously be offside to disallow them. This is where soccer gets it wrong. They seem to always favor the defense in a sport where goals are at a premium. Changes have to be made.

8. GermanyFC

GermanyFC Member

Jul 14, 2008
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AR's have to be reluctant to raise the flag and Ref's shouldn't blow the whistle. They should let the play run its course and if a goal is scored they should quickly look at VAR to see if there was a foul or offside

73Bruin and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  9. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The worst part on Zlatan's goal is that the AR did not raise his flag until after the goal and LA was celebrating and a NY CB turns to AR and raises his hand pleading for offside call - THEN he raises his flag.

And yes if VAR can takeaway a goal it should be able to put that one back on the board- but let me say as someone who thought if it was done right VAR would really help reduce these kind of blown calls, I have really changed my mind - VAR SHOULD BE GONE. Not because of these blown calls but because it makes the blown calls something disassociated with the live game experience - fans in the stadium will learn not to get excited by ANY goal - best to wait 45 seconds before celebrating. And when goals come off the board it seems capricious because you can't see the game deciding replays - the 27,000 people who care most don't get to see the game deciding blown calls. People don't like to be f*cked with repeatedly and it makes for a bitter game experience - especially because now instead of me saying "well referees are only human and it's not like he gets the benefit of the slow mow replay" I'm left questioning whether I should care at all what happens live on the field. Before VAR I can watch the game with my own eyes and know that when the ref points to the spot it's a PK, when the AR raises his flag its offside, and when a red come see out of the back pocket it's a game changing red. If should be Zlatan scoring and and the place going nuts, but soon if VAR isn't dumped it will be cautious optimism erupting throughout the stadium rather than jubilation when a big goal is scored. That's the future of soccer we have to look forward to.

10. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s exactly what I saw which says it all as to if the AR should have kept the flag down or not. Clearly he/she wasn’t certain it was offside so keep the flag down and let VAR get it right.

VAR should be modified so bang bang goals can be ruled onside. Maybe something as simple as anything can be reviewed up until the point the flag goes up. In this case the ball is in the net before the flag is up so there is no argument that the defense stopped playing...

That wouldn’t solve all the problem but would be an improvement.

11. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got to celebrate some goals. That was fun.

New back line? Gonna be trouble. But, we are still weak in the center of the field. And, we still get countered on again, and again, and again.

Sigi needs to fix the team defense soon. Team is in a fragile state. Watching Cole, Ibra & Gio converse before the restart after last NY goal was worrying.

I love Galaxy goals, though.

JPAR repped this.
  12. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hav77 repped this.
  13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    In MLS it isn't "Da Man" keeping the salary cap low, it's the players. During the most recent CBA the players pushed for free agency, higher minimum salaries, better benefits... pretty much everything but a big salary cap increase. They were (legitimately) afraid that if teams suddenly had a lot more $ available for players that the money wouldn't be used for raises, it would be used to bring in higher quality replacements. In fact - in a reversal of the usual ownership/player relationship - the league actually devised schemes to funnel more $ to teams despite the contracted slow salary cap increases. They did so by creating the ever increasing TAM and GAM giveaways - "Here's the damn money guys - now go out and spend it, for chrissakes!"

The Beautiful Gamer, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  14. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    VAR has been an absolute joke in the FA Cup this year. I’d actually made the case MLS was handling it better after some growing pains and the FA would sort it out like MLS had. I’ve changed my mind, there seems to have been a regression in its use. If we’re simply swapping out one subjective decision for a subjective decision when to use an objective measure I’m not sure that’s a net benefit.

Goal line tech? Absolutely. Red/Yellow Card review? Sure. Offside calls & ticky-tacky fouls in the box? Nah. If you want to make offside calls objective put an array of high speed cameras & LIDARs. Take it completely out of human decision making.

15. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So frustrating!!

3 losses at home in a row is unacceptable. I appreciate the effort from the boys to come back, but that defense is soft. We can't give up goals like that and expect to win games let alone make the playoffs.

Don't know what the solution is but I hope Sigi figures it out quick before he gets canned.

hav77 and generaladmissision18 repped this.
  16. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching some of the match on tv this morning I’m more upset with the “handball” on Romney. Ball hit his upper back. What is VAR for if not to get that call right?

FlapJack, El Futbolisimo, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  17. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR sucks bc the fans and apparently the refs can't decide what's clear and obvious. It's inconsistent and we still get decisions wrong

18. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Just saw the Zlatan offside and the handball.

Good god..

hav77 and GermanyFC repped this.
  19. GermanyFC

GermanyFC Member

Jul 14, 2008
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When VAR didn't exist, yes there were bad calls, but it tended to even out over the course of a season. VAR is making things worse and should only be used for goal line plays and off the ball fouls. Offside and PK calls should be left to the referees/assistants, too much grey area for offside calls and perhaps PK/non PK calls.

FlapJack and patopreto repped this.
  20. GermanyFC

GermanyFC Member

Jul 14, 2008
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The notion that the Galaxy get special treatment can be laid to rest

21. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's time to claim it for LAFC.... ;)

22. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Exactly.

23. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It's time to start looking at getting a new right back.

As terrible as it sounds, I think we should trade Boateng for a defenseman.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  24. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds reasonable. The midfield is crowded. New goalie and CB while we’re at it.

25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TrickHog and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.