P/I/P Game 7: L.A. Galaxy vs Atlanta, SATURDAY 4/21/18, 7:30pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Apr 14, 2018.

1. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes, not disagreeing.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  2. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    How many times did the Gs get dispossesed or made a bad pass leading to a turnover in the midfield???

ProudNatRN and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  3. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn’t see the game cause blackouts etc but your comments remind me of RsL vsColo. Hope im not spoiling for anyone but there is quality and not there. We are not there.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  4. generaladmissision18

Jul 29, 2011
    Highland park, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I was expecting us to be terrible on defense, and the defense was relatively alright. Not good, but alright.

I was expecting us to finally click on offense, and boy was that dreadful. Alessandrini is not in his zone, our first touch is embarrassing, and we seem to have no idea how to move off the ball or start an attack without five back passes first.

MPNumber9, WarGalaxy, Dr.Phil and 3 others repped this.
  5. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our defense was outmatched, as expected but then Biggest disappointment in this game was how clueless our offense was as to how to score.

Atlanta is a top team. Red Bull next week is no slouch either. Tough schedule to start the year.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm back to the letter writing stage because there was one player that made me want to rage sub.

Dear Rolf Feltscher,

I know you want to be a right midfielder. I feel it in your bones and your crosses into the box and squared passes were actually decent tonight. However, when I watch you slowly jog back to take your defensive position, or slowly jog to meet opposing players IN THE SIX, it drives me ******* crazy. Your laziness tonight made me write parts of my player ratings in ALL CAPS BECAUSE YOU WERE DRIVING ME CRAZY.

The manbun is cool and all, but you are a DEFENDER. That means your primary responsibility is to DEFEND. For the love of everything holy, your teammates and the fans want you to do your actual JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
    Berks

Regal, rokstedy, L.A. Native and 4 others repped this.
  7. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other news:

-Cole sucked too
    -Felt bad for Skjelvik who didn't deserve that last penalty called on him
    -Steres must have nightmares about own goals
    -Perry Kitchen has been miserable
    -What is up with Bingham's distribution? Putrid doesn't begin to describe it.
    -Ola, can you stay onside? Thanks.

Jonathan Dos Santos, we miss you. BADLY.

WarGalaxy, rokstedy, barroldinho and 3 others repped this.
  8. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Tons! and those constant clearances by Bingham going right to Atlanta player to kick start their attack over and over. But this is what these Atlanta type of teams do. They help bring out all the your nasty bits where everybody can see them and it was ugly. And listen, Atlanta was not on their finest form tonight. This could have been a gool ol back-alley asswhooping like they gave Bradley's downtown dopes last week. Now that its over we can see clearer. Our back center oscillates between good enough to just lost caught reacting to runs and plays and not anticipating them or just watching the game. I agree with the Feltcher comment that he goes way too much upfield and does not track back well. Same can be said for Cole but that guy at least makes things happen. We need new people in the back. Mids cannot connect with any consistency with Ola or Ibra and now both these target forwards are tracking back to get a sniff on the ball.Thats not gonna work long term. Allesandrini has lost his mojo and it is making him crazy which leads to him forcing plays and passes which feeds his inconsistency. I hope he finds his way back soon. This guy was the only working element of Galaxis attack last year and I don't like what I see in him. Ola and that Zardes Curse he is developing i dont even want to talk about. We have some sirious work to do.

rokstedy, L.A. Native, ShortyMac and 2 others repped this.
  9. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I just came to say I was surprised at the quality of our possession, the officiating, and especially the use effective use of VAR - top notch! Keep it up Galaxy, MLS!

TrickHog repped this.
  10. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's been a big issue this season.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  11. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp, the jell-o’s Not jigglin’.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  12. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now here's a story of pain and misery.

Unfortunately I needed to leave the game at half time last night. Got in my car and tuned in to Sirius soccer ch.157 to listen to the second half. And was greeted by the dulcet tones of ....Christian Miles??? If you thought he was bad on telecasts where you can see what's happening despite his commentary, you really need to hear him as a radio broadcaster to appreciate the full awfulness. He throws our cliches like Johnny Appleseed planting tress. And most of them have nothing to do with what's going on but are just triggered by words that happen to suggest cliched phrases. He must have had three (that I counted) completely different ways of saying "Ole Kamara" and would bounce from one to another indiscriminately. And he did not even have the benefit of a color commentator (you know, one who might actually correct him and tell us what was going on.) This was painful and the fact that I listened to it to the end more than validates my love of LAG.

An experience I hope never to repeat.

13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah, Miles just goes on autopilot these days. He does so many games in so many leagues I'm not sure he even knows where he is now. Plus he's probably clipping his toenails while he announces.

14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I doubt the rumor is true. What would be the rationale? Sigi has had the team less than a year and we are 4th in the WC. So while I wouldn't fire him now (unless I had a superstar coach to replace him with) I do have some criticisms of Sigi.

Coaching:
    He's had almost three months to get these guys playing together, like a team but there still is little chemistry. We usually look like a bunch of individuals trying to make it happen without a real game plan. Also disheartening is how poor our "team defense" has been this season. It is true that we were more compact on D vs ATL game but I don't know if that was due to learning or just due to our being on our heels a lot, at least until ATL switched to a more defensive posture in the 2nd half. It's easy to be compact on D when the other team has possession 80% of the time.

GM Performance.

Since he took over we have brought in several new players. I would put half of them in the "poor" catgory:

OK signings:
    Pontius - brought in cheaply for depth and experience
    Kamara - can't turn down a player who has scored 35 goals over 2 seasons
    Skjelvik - we really needed a bigger, more physical cb but those aren't always easy to find. Skjelvik is an ok stopgap.

Poor signings:
    Rolf - too slow and clumsy to be a good outside back in today's MLS. And too technically deficient to be effective on offense. Doesn't help that he is lazy getting back.
    Kitchen - speaking of slow, Perry must be one of the slowest players in the league. Decision making and work rate aren't great either.
    Bingham - not a horrible signing but not a good one either. Makes some nice saves but is too inconsistent, mistake prone. No real upside.
    Sylvestre - wtf? Not even back up quality.

I'm not blaming Sigi for Ciani even though Sigi was technically in charge when Ciani came in. Even so that's a lot of player misreads by Sigi. And no great signings that he can take credit for to counterbalance the poor signings. If the rumor isn't true and he's around for a while his personnel evaluation game needs to step up significantly. Starting with the summer window.

15. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It has. To me, it seems that the team is still stuck in preseason and it might and I'm hoping it's just that the fellas need some time to gel and for the full time to get more time together.

Not sure what's going on with Perry. He actually looked decent in the preseason games in controlling the midfield and in linking the back to the front. However, he's been really underwhelming in both aspect in the real games as others have noted. He's like backpass Pete reincarnated.

Regarding last night's game, one of the best aspect of going to a game is being able to see the entire field. Watching ATL, their entire team was constantly moving and being dynamic which helped they keep possession and create chances. As for the Gs, all i saw was a lot of static play where neither the attacking mids nor the forwards were making runs to open things up or make ATL's D have to shift positionally to potentially create space.

ProudNatRN, Geneva, skydog and 1 other person repped this.
  16. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One play last night sort of sums up the game for me. We had the ball - not sure what player, maybe Kitchen - in the middle of the field. He starts running toward the ATL goal. About half way there, Almiron comes up behind him, strips the ball, and ATL is off to the races. Our guy was to slow to make decisions as to what to do with the ball and appeared to be unaware that Almiron was coming up behind him. He looked clueless both as to the circumstances and what his options were.

Can't he hear Almiron coming up from behind? Don't any of his team mates yell a warning? And why so many many touches and dribbling? Trying to emulate Gio?

shelbo, MPNumber9, Berks and 6 others repped this.
  17. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought we were going to have more goals against. My complaint is the offense. We are not generating enough dangerous chances.

Ola is not use to playing with someone else.

Romain was a big disappointing and judging by his comments is still getting used to the 442.

18. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I am going to defend Sigi. He inherited a last place team and the worst DP in the league. He is trying to re-build with a crappy front office who all should have been fired and not a whole lot of cap room.

I also think the Dos Santos brothers are a huge locker room problem. Gio hasn't played in forever and I no longer have any idea what his position is. I also thought Sigi's quote about JDS was telling, words to the effect that Sigi thought he could play, but after talking with Gio, Jonathon went back to the training room (eye on the World Cup?). Contrast that to Atlanta's DP's, they never stopped running, played defence as well as offence, and showed heart and determination.

It's been said on these boards before, this team is a multi-year rebuild project. This year we are a mid-table team.

ProudNatRN, wcmanes, TrickHog and 7 others repped this.
  19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not sure if it was posted but here is the quote.

Wow seems very odd

ProudNatRN, TrickHog, Berks and 4 others repped this.
  20. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Very odd that Sigi would specifically point out that Jona consulted with Gio about whether to play.

21. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like games are being played. Which may have something to do with the Sigi being fired rumors.

22. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Very well said.

Wonder if "Tata" Martino might prefer the sunnier climes and beautiful beaches of Los Angeles over the too cold or too hot, rainy, miserable Atlanta weather?

ProudNatRN, TrickHog, JPAR and 1 other person repped this.
  23. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This explains why Gio came into the game and immediately stayed in midfield in the position that his brother generally occupies

24. Regal

Regal Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the rumor is true. Sigi can take his beloved Kamara and Husidic with him. Unless they're injured, Boateng, Ibra and Alessandrini should be on the field AT THE SAME TIME. If there's no room for Boateng, bench Kamara. Waiting for Kamara to score is like waiting for a blue moon. If you don't realize that by now, then you deserve to be fired.

25. Regal

Regal Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is he playing every single game, all 90 minutes every game? I don't understand it. Same with Kamara. Why? And why a three-year extension, when Kamara hasn't really done anything spectacular for us? I put it on Sigi. FIRE SIGI. FIRE SIGI BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.