P/I/P Game 7: Houston @ L.A. Galaxy, FRIDAY 4/19/19, 7:30pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Apr 15, 2019.

1. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    [​IMG]

TV: Univision/UniMas​

2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big game. Houston hasn't lost yet this season, and since LAFC and Seattle play each other, a win moves us ahead of Houston and the loser of that game into 2nd place in the West on PPG. Hope everyone stays healthy and we get to send out our first choice starting-XI again...

The Cadaver repped this.
  3. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston's wins have been against Montreal, Vancouver and San Jose. They also won away against Colorado and tied RSL.

So, similar to us, not a lot of high quality opposition faced just yet and this week will be a huge test for them (as it is for us).

Looking forward to this game.

Berks, The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  4. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    This is the first must win game of the season AFAIC. The team should remember Houston as this is the team that kicked them to the curb in embarrassing form to boot. Time to make things right...

Beep Boop Robot, MPNumber9 and TrickHog repped this.
  5. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry AJ, but we winning.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  6. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Rolf update huh? That usually means bad things so I my assumption is that he is out for this game.

I wonder how we'll handle. Romney or the kid or maybe Gonzalez out of position on the right?

7. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Rolf and Gonzalez updates:

The Beautiful Gamer, TrickHog and mbar repped this.
  8. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't be a Galaxy season without major issues at right back.

Berks, ShortyMac, skydog and 5 others repped this.
  9. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AJ curse rears its head just in time.

skydog and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  10. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least we will try to play an actual right back. Not a converted defensive midfielder like Rafa Garcia.

Berks, GalaxyOne, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  11. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I was thinking the same thing. How novel. If you play your backup RB at RB - then he's actually your backup (so there is a reason to have him on your 1st team roster).

12. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Unlike Oscar Sorto, who made only a handful of first team appearances for the Galaxy over a three year period and is now playing for a club in El Salvador. Arellano is another example.

FlapJack repped this.
  13. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    First time I've read that Gonzalez is a potential Right Back, at least in a pinch:

http://cornerofthegalaxy.com/2019/0...zlatan-not-satisfied-and-feltscher-sidelined/

14. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I’m looking at this as a positive. Everyone says Araujo is a talented young man. I’d like to see him get some time to develop and it won’t happen unless Rolf is hurt or on international duty.

Let’s see what the kid is made of! I love that GBS is showing confidence in our young players. We’ve been missing that since Bruce brought AJ and Omar.

The season is long and full of terrors (sorry game of thrones on the mind) and it’s best to give every player on the roster some game experience.

73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  15. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. If the plan is that Araujo is going to be the starter next year, he needs a game here or there this year so the coaches (but way more importantly we) can see how he does.

shelbo and 73Bruin repped this.
  16. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  17. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting choice for our new coach:

1) Keep things the same and slide the kid in to replace Rolf at right back.
    2) Insert our new expensive defender into right back out of position or
    3) change a winning formation and put steres, gonzalez and Polenta into a 3 man backline.

ProudNatRN, skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  18. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA

TrickHog repped this.
  19. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Hmm this is a tough choice. Do we push Gonzalez out of position in his first game for us, or do we play the young kid who has never started a MLS game?

I'd leaning towards Araujo honestly. Gonzalez at right back wouldn't work in the way GBS likes us playing. Doubt Gonzalez will drive forward or be a threat on that side. That would mess up our rhythm and normal attacking play.

20. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a minute. If I recall correctly, Onalfo brought in half of G2 for a "chance to develop" in 2017, instead of signing some seasoned veterans. And that fell pretty flat.

21. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would rephrase that thought, just a little bit:
    "If the plan is that Araujo might have any hope of being the starter next year, it wouldn't hurt his chances to get a game here or there this year so the coaches (but way, WAY more importantly we) can see how he does."

skydog repped this.
  22. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the answer is pretty easily determined after watching them all practice this week. If Gonazalez is fit and looks ready in practice, I would definitely go with option 2.

skydog and mbar repped this.
  23. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why wouldn't it work? Gonzalez seems to be anything but a stay at home defender. He seems to be quite comfortable attacking.

skydog repped this.
  24. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well most importantly GBS >>>>>>>> Onalfo. Throwing a bunch of kids from G2 into the first team without any real sense of structure was a bad idea. Araujo is coming into to play much more of a structured environment.

A lot of the G2 guys weren’t good enough. Onalfo coached G2 like a U-10 AYSO team. It was about just being stronger and faster and hoping your best player was better than the other teams best player.

I’d rather see Araujo starting and Gonzalez on the bench than pushing Steres or Polenta out of position. Give Gonzalez a few more days to settle in. Maybe start him midweek against Minnesota or whoever our Wednesday game is against.

shelbo, 73Bruin, LEM-LAG and 3 others repped this.
  25. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is my feeling as well. However, I get the sense that Gonzalez has been here practicing with us for a couple of weeks waiting for the transfer/paperwork to go through so GBS may not feel he needs any more time to settle in.