P/I/P Game 31: Vancouver @ L.A. Galaxy, SATURDAY 9/29/18, 7pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Sep 24, 2018.

1. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"I'm not here for a one man show."

TrickHog, WarGalaxy and JPAR repped this.
  2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team looked professional two weeks in a row. That’s nice. Glad we are playing our best players regardless of contract or (misguided) expectations of them.

I still have some hope.

Berks, El Futbolisimo, hav77 and 4 others repped this.
  3. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, they sure show a ton of replays now on the video score board. Good or “bad” for us. Much improved over what used to be our policy.

I’m glad my campaign of bitching about this on Twitter, bigsoccer and their surveys has finally paid off.

Berks, FlapJack, MPNumber9 and 5 others repped this.
  4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy have at last passed the mbar........

Berks, MPNumber9, hav77 and 5 others repped this.
  5. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game. We look like a team. Happy Ibra gave Ale the pk. Swedish Heritage Night was cool. Galaxy!

hav77, El Futbolisimo, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  6. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing what results you can achieve when you don't insist on playing two totally incompetent center backs.

7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And those cb's have real DM's in front of them. You know the kind of DM I'm talking about - the ones that actually cause problems for our opponents.

Berks, shelbo, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    A bunch of things are being changed but I'm not sure how much credit to give to Dom.

The biggest factor is that Gio is out. He was the reason we were playing a 3-5-2. You can't give Dom credit for the lack of Gio but at least he realized we could change the formation. What to do when he comes back? Boateng has not made the most of his opportunities but he does give more defense in the wing position than Gio will.

Credit to Dom for sitting Ciani and Skjelvik; the difference in hustle from Romney and Steres is quite noticeable, although how much is a temporary effect of a new coach remains to be seen.

Having JDS at the 6 has worked out but I still have my concerns. He is a great possession guy but not a disruptor and I wonder how he will work if we are in a position of having to play defensively and counterattack.

El Futbolisimo, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio is never coming back

10. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    My two cents. It seems like Cole has had a rebirth since Skjelvk was taken out of the line-up. I also noted that for the last two games, Carrasco came off the bench before Kitchen, which speaks to how far Perry has fallen into the doghouse.

El Futbolisimo and TrickHog repped this.
  11. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    One can only hope so. Lets hope the FO doesn't mandate his return.

12. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Klein just got a very unfriendly welcome as he took the stage with Joe T. here at the Alpine Village.

They are doing a little q and a right now and it’s all the same stuff from Klein. A lot of emphasis on the last two games and how we are still in it and feel we can still win title. Joe mentions 2005 and 2012 where we got hot down stretch and won title.

Klein aside, event is 100% awesome and would be thrilled if it was here always.

Berks, MPNumber9, JPAR and 4 others repped this.
  13. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio was at the event. Everyone was except, unless I missed him, svevlik.

Ibra spoke to crowd and said if we make the playoffs we will destroy everyone. Cole said something too.

I left after the player photo. Not sure how rest of event went.

14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we gained 2 points on RSL and Portland this weekend. SKC looks beatable at home if they play next week like they did today. If our defense can hold up.

Looks like the final 4 weeks are going to be interesting in the western conference....

Berks, 73Bruin, WarGalaxy and 4 others repped this.
  15. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From your keyboard to God's screen.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  16. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Let me start the Give Chris Klein a Raise thread...

The Beautiful Gamer, TOAzer and TrickHog repped this.
  17. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our secret weapon

Berks, hav77, 73Bruin and 3 others repped this.
  18. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Just saw the replay. Already knew the result as my people always text me results no matter how much I plead when i'm outta town not to do that. Great game and the rub around the web is that yeah, we kicked two teams while they're down and they are partly right. SKC will be another matter but they are sort of down in dumps to a dgree. They have two draws while we have two strong wins with clean sheets which speaks to me more than anything else. Steres and Romney? Where did that come from? Very nice. Cole did his thing and even Rolf did ok. I mean, Rolf didn't get himself tossed from this game, only from the next with accumulation but I thought for sure he was gonna go ape at some point and break Davies legs. And he kept mostly to back. so that's great. Boateng has to do better than that. He blew some clear shots. I wish to see Letget more involved. We can do this. One game at a time.

shelbo and Beakmon FC repped this.
  19. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my section, we call Jona "The Good Dos Santos."

shelbo, rokstedy, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  20. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Can anyone at the game confirm whether Skjelvik was booed when he came in?

21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just for the record, I was wrong about this. Skevkligkasfja;'lk was at the event. Everyone was.

22. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't notice.

The boos were for:

1) Chris and he was heckled a bit.

2) Then when announcing the players in the different picture groups (it was sort of like a lottery) when Gio was announced he heard clear boos. However the other person in his group was Ema so they quickly announced him and the boos turned to cheers.

23. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, who would have thought Ema would get cheers, and Gio, our most expensive, prized DP, would get boos? Obviously our FO didn't foresee that when they signed him.

24. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio's only played a 3rd of the season's matches and missed most of the games under Sigi as well. That's why it's just perplexing that Sigi stuck with the an esoteric and ill-fitting formation to accommodate a player that rarely actually plays for us. Sigi even played the 3-5-2 when both Gio AND Zlatan were out -- filling the other striker role with non-striker Ema Boateng (whom he doesn't start otherwise) and getting blown out in Seattle as a result. That is just one of many incomprehensible and locker room-killing moves Sigi has made during his tenure. Others include making Jones, who'd split the locker room, his captain, starting Zardes, who was our hottest striker at the time, having scored in his previous two matches, at RB, and playing Dan Steres at RB in losses to FCD twice this season. Those are all self-inflicted problems.

I don't know how much of the turn-around is Dom and how much is just getting Sigi out of the team's way, but this team is night and day now. They aren't just playing competently for a change, they are brimming with grit and confidence. There was one triangle passing sequence where Cole intercepted a pass, one-timed it to Steres / Romney(?) who headed it first-time out of danger to Jona in midfield. Players move, they want the ball, they want to play -- big difference from previous games.

25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it was a blast. I've never attended one of these, so I'm glad I went.

Some of Tutino's defense of the FO reminded me of when GW Bush kept imploring everyone to realize that running the country is, like, really, really hard guys come on. But I enjoyed myself and stuck around long enough to meet The Chosen 10ne, which was awesome.

hav77, skydog, mbar and 2 others repped this.