P/I/P Game 30: SKC @ L.A. Galaxy, SUNDAY 9/15/19, 7pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Sep 12, 2019.

1. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    [​IMG]

TV: FS1​

Skevin and TrickHog repped this.
  2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have now entered the legit "must win" games of the season...

Skevin, ProudNatRN, L.A. Native and 2 others repped this.
  3. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    We have a relatively weak lineup of matches. No. Excuses.

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  4. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  5. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pregame festivities should be fun.

I would love to see a leader on the field that can rally, inspire, and direct play. But, I cannot fathom who that is.

As things are, I have no expectations on the game.

Go Galaxy!

6. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've felt this way for a few games now.

Guessman has been saying they aren't 'must win' games, and technically it's true, we aren't eliminated from the playoffs if we don't win this game, but I'm pissed we're even getting to that point. A MUST win game is exactly that: you're below the line and you either win or you're out. As it stands right now, we're outside looking in, and while it's still a few weeks away, we'll quickly get to that point of having to win or else.

This last six games was supposed to be the easier part of the schedule because we were playing 5 of 6 that were below the playoff line. This was when we were gonna make up some ground on the rest of the field...

problem with that logic is: we are above those teams ONLY because of that opening 7-1-1 start to the season. Since May, we are a 1.00 pts per game team, which means we're only better than Cincinnati and Vancouver... and not much better than Vancouver. We've been awful for a long while and we all know it. I would think just about every team looks at us and thinks: Yes, we can win this game!
    We've given up multiple goals in 10 of the last 12 games, 3-4 in half of those... THAT's our current form.

We lost against Colorado: yes I'll grant there were some calls that were bad, but still, we're losing against those teams that we're supposed to beat. It seems to me that if we lose this KC game- at home- we're pretty much done. Not technically eliminated yet, but I'm asking myself who exactly we think we can beat at this point. The only team I see us as favorites against is Vancouver.

after 29 games, if we haven't pulled together yet, I don't know what else we'd be waiting for. But I'm afraid this: 1.00 pts per game... THAT's who we are. It's who we've been for the majority of the season and I have no idea what we would do to turn it around.

And here's the deal: IF we fail to make the playoffs again this year, it will be a massive blow. With the wealth of talent we have on the field, it would be an utter embarrassment to miss it again. Even now, I feel like IF we make the playoffs, we won't get far. But not making the playoffs would be devastating.

So I am 100% agreed with TrickHog's sentiment: THIS game is must win.
    If we lose we aren't technically eliminated yet, but it would feel to me like it's inevitable. We'll play out the last few games just waiting for the technical elimination.

shelbo, LEM-LAG, ProudNatRN and 8 others repped this.
  7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Too much truthiness in this post.

8. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Ibrah, Jona, Polenta are going to do what they always do then the talent drops off and thats where we usually turn on the jets or give up the ghost in matches. The support has to be there. Antuna, Favio, Lleget, Steres, Gonzalez and Corona etc have to show up. Pavon is the one I am looking to to add that spark. I have seen what this guy can do and its exactly what he needs to do tomorrow. Pavon was coming along swimmingly first two matches and now he's been invisible. I don't know if that;s him trying to become part of the unit or Guillermo has his hands in this telling him what to do. He needs to do what was doing, running at defenses, making quick accurate passes and througballs and taking charge of his game.

KC has 37 points and is right behind us in this last rush for the finish line. We have to stomp those hopes out with authority. Ruthless.

In todays matches there were beneficial results in the games that concern us. All is good there. We just have to do our part.

hav77 and MPNumber9 repped this.
  9. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was a little frustrated with Guesman and the CoG guys take that this game isn't a must-win. While technically true, it's possible the team could go on a tear and nab points from all the remaining games, I find that to be a statistical unlikelihood. On talent, yes, they could do that -- but when has this team done that? And a dreadful loss like the one in Colorado -- and yes we got hosed on the PK call -- but even then we're talking about getting a tie against a Rapids team that played mid-week who is missing their leading scorer. That's sure not signs of getting hot at the right time.

I think we gotta win. For the home fans, for the morale for any hope of keeping the playoff dream alive. I mean, even if we're technically still in playoff contention after a loss in this match; who wants to watch the team that loses or ties this game in the playoffs? Saying that, I think we will win. First home game in awhile, I think the crowd will be out and pumped; big players coming back into the line-up. Hopefully, this can be that watershed match we need.

El Futbolisimo and rtdavide repped this.
  10. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don’t want to go to Houston needing a win to get in. Let’s take care of business before then.

I hope the boys step up and play tomorrow. This IS a must win. We can’t keep losing these and expect the playoffs.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  11. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Houston just got eliminated last night so yeah, no Houston please.

Our ref for the evening will be Unkel Ted so light a votive candle.

Geneva repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #12 skydog, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    At least DaBoy gets it. Asked if Galaxy were now desperate he spoke about the COL game:

“I don't think we have to play like that,” midfielder Sebastian Lletget said following Friday morning's training session at Dignity Health Sports Park. “Like, we don't have to play desperate from minute one to go score and be vulnerable. I think if we play it smart, we know that we need to win these games. There's no doubt about that. Our fans know, we know. We're definitely aware of it.”​

Most of our fans seem to think the answer consists of the team having more character, playing harder. While I agree to an extent and have said there are character issues and effort issues for a couple players, I'm not sure that these are the main issues for this team. Our biggest issue is that most of the team immediately turns and tries to attack almost every time we get the ball. And this in itself causes us problems - we repeatedly push too many players up and leave gigantic gaps between our advanced troops and our last line of defense. The result is us giving up soft counter-attack goals, over and over and over.

It's the same with Bingham. His problem isn't lack of effort. It's his over-aggression that costs us. His ill-timed madman like charges out (including on the COL game winner free kick) make him easier to score on than if he held his counsel, to use Deadwood speak.

Ironically, due to our all out defense-be-damned attack style our most vulnerable moments are when we look like we are about to score. Those are often the moments we beat ourselves. Lletget is right - we don't need to play harder nearly as much as we need to play smarter.

ProudNatRN, 73Bruin, TrickHog and 3 others repped this.
  13. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to tell myself to be smart today. It’s Sunday, after all.

TrickHog and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the 3 teams directly above us in playoff spots 5, 6 and 7 all lost, leaving it wide open for us. A win moves us back to the 5th spot and only 1-2 points out of a home playoff game....

So this game is big...

ProudNatRN, El Futbolisimo and skydog repped this.
  15. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At a film festival, so going to have to watch the game on FS1 on-demand later tonight.

Let’s go Galaxy!!!!!

Geneva and El Futbolisimo repped this.
  16. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    To say the least, yes. Loons and RSL just finished half tied so that would be fantastic if it holds.

It would mean, should we lose, nobody gets away from us.:)

I don't care if they play smart or dumb. Half-hearted or break-neck. Frosty or on fire. We are beyond how we play at this point. Just win guys. GO GALAXY!

galvanator repped this.
  17. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    [​IMG]

Skjelvik and Pipo on the bench, no Favio. Not the strongest, but good lineup IMO.

18. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabio injured or suspended?

This lineup should win. But that’s no guarantee for us.

19. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Calf injury

mbar and skydog repped this.
  20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #20 skydog, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    No Skjhkk, JDS back and home game - all factors in our favor. Only downside is SKC will be motivated like it is their last chance to make playoffs. Stiill I like our chances.

21. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    So Seattle won and Loons Quintero decide to have a good game. Still, plenty of room to get ahead if we do the deed.

kaburu repped this.
  22. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never mind lineup, we gonna go ********ing all-out and get the ********ing win tonight. Period.

Geneva and skydog repped this.
  23. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My prediction is that we might win. Or lose. Or possibly draw. You heard it here first.

24. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Romney has to be on his toes with Russell

25. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Yes.... ALL OUT!!!