P/I/P Game 30: SKC @ L.A. Galaxy, SUNDAY 9/15/19, 7pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Sep 12, 2019.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this reflects an increasing imbalance in MLS squads, more so than improvement in talent. I don't think Vela is better than Giovinco, for example (Or Valeri, Keane etc.); it's just gotten easier to create big chances and score. I get that people think lots of goals = exciting, "fun" football, but this, along with the increasing home team advantage, are bad trends for MLS, IMO.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  2. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Ruud Gullit his mentor?

3. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #203 skydog, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Why would scoring be easier these days? In theory the league should be getting better and better defenders and gk's given the steady growth of salaries across the league.

On the offensive end we do have more regular season games than a decade ago and that would explain growing season goal totals but it wouldn't explain increases in goals per game or goals per 90 min.

Edit: Ok, I see you are attributing this to increasing imbalance across the league. I guess that could be true. I don't know what the data says though. Do we have evidence that on average the difference in quality from the top to the bottom has increased from earlier days?

Beakmon FC and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Apparently not understanding defense is an occupational hazard for great goal scorers who become coaches.

Bilgediver and The Cadaver repped this.
  5. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I know it may be sacreligious, but I don't have Robbie in my all-time Galaxy 11. I had Zlatan up front with Landon on the left and Beck's on the right. Cien as the attacking mid with Jona and Sarvas as the box to box mids. For the back 4, I was really uncertain. I had Dunivant, Fraizer (who I never saw play) Gonzalez and AJDLG. Hartman is my keeper. Ruiz, Keane, Jones, Juninho, Marshall, Rogers and Ricketts as subs. The only way, I can see fitting Robbie in is to move Landon to the attacking mid.

Geneva and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I create the poll this summer, the first rule will be that you can only assess the player from their time with the Galaxy - so the team is comprised of players playing from whatever level they played at during their Galaxy stint. But some really good players are going to be left on the bench....

7. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    You took my heart then you took my pride away

I hate myself for loving you
    Can't break free from the the things that you do
    I wanna walk but I run back to you, that's why
    I hate myself for loving you

I could not help myself!:oops:

8. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Worth pointing out SKC put 7 past Montreal earlier this season. Weird league.

9. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does the transitive property of soccer mean we score 14 against Montreal next weekend?

10. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A possible explanation?

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ith-brilliant-attackers-or-terrible-defenders

73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  11. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, to no surprise Zlatan comes out with the perfect 10. Lletget is next with a 9.8

upload_2019-9-17_12-45-30.png

generaladmissision18, TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  12. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its more of an offensive trend in soccer/football. Teams in general seem to be focusing more on attack, and a lot of the acquisitions tend to lean in that direction. Vela has always been considered one of Mexicos better players of this generation, it just doesn't show because he keeps choosing not to play for his national team, and hes not as "flashy" as Giovinco. Plus LAFC's overall team is clearly better than Toronto, so that is always going to color the stats in a League like this. Do we honestly think Schweinstiger sucks because his stats suck? Or is it he unfortunately has hitched his wagon to the dumpster fire of Chicago.

barroldinho repped this.
  13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thanks for the link. It's a confusing article though. They talk around the issue but are sloppy with their analysis. They compare season totals

"But of the five most prolific goalscoring seasons in MLS history, four have come in the last seven years"​

but never mention the obvious explanation - more games per season. They claim that years when we add expansion teams/weak teams average # of goals increase (which sounds reasonable), but give no overall stats to prove it, just some cherry picked examples. They follow that statement by pointing out that scoring was over 3 goals per game in six of the first seven MLS seasons and that the all time peak was 3.65/gm in 1997. How does this square with expansion teams being the cause? Because "they were all expansion" teams. For seven seasons? Yeah, right.

They sum all of this up with this wishy-washy conclusion:

It may well be easier to score in MLS now than it was a few years ago. Whether that is the product of an increase in attacking potency or a decrease in defensive quality is largely down to interpretation, but if goals are the currency of the sport then MLS is particularly rich right now.​

I'm inclined to buy the expansion team explanation but would like to see the overall #'s. We need a comparison of ave goals/gm in expansion years vs non-expansion years. Add in a comparison of seasons when multiple expansion teams are added. But I'm too busy (lazy) to do the work now.

Beakmon FC and TrickHog repped this.
  14. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I noticed in the game he was passing very conservatively. Only got one cross in, but it wound up being a goal. I hope he gets some more opportunities.

skydog repped this.
  15. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't done any research myself on this topic either, but how about the DP and other foreign acquisitions that tend to be midfielders/attackers while defenders tend to be MLS vets?

16. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take a more defensive minded fullback over Skloiudswflkvick anyday.

JPAR and skydog repped this.
  17. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not quite ready to put Jona in there as a starter on this squad yet. I'd rather start with Juninho. TBH Beckham would be a sub for me. He was good but well past his prime during the Galaxy years. Keane would replace him on this list.

TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Methinks whoscored doesn’t penalize defenders for allowing forwards to get off really dangerous crosses. If they did then there is no way Feltscher would get an 8.2.

Bilgediver and TrickHog repped this.
  19. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whoscored ratings ARE skewed towards offensive stats. I'm sure its harder to track defensive stats. You would think "they would have the opposite (as you say) allowed shots (on goal" or "allowed key passes", etc...

20. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. Isn't that exactly what today's media does? Come to think of it, also what we do on this forum? :D

21. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it has more to do with more and better top end talent. We have never had so many DPs and TAM players. And not just at the Galaxy, but throughout the league. Or is that the imbalance you're talking about? More top level talent, but the bottom level on each team hasn't really improved as much (though I would say they have improved). There is very little imbalance between the teams. This year seems to have more parity than the past.

22. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    True dat. I thought of a different way to get at it. Below are all the “key passes” (passes leading to a shot) for SKC. Notice how many come from Feltscher’s side. The most dangerous ones are the ones originating deep in the box, especially from near the endline:
    upload_2019-9-17_15-57-35.png

Bilgediver and Berks repped this.
  23. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think the coaching across the board has improved a lot as well. Teams are better drilled, have more defined systems and patterns of play. That’s also had a big impact as well.

24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think better coached teams should on average improve on defense at least as much as offense. Probably even more since defense relies more on teamwork and coordination of effort. Offense tends to be more dependent on individual skills. See Ibra as a great example..

barroldinho and GalaxyOne repped this.
  25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one was great to watch on the heels of the Rapids game.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

skydog and TrickHog repped this.