P/I/P Game 30: SKC @ L.A. Galaxy, SUNDAY 9/15/19, 7pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a lot of non soccer fans find that awesome, the self-organization of the crowd. We tend to take it for granted now, but the only other comparison is college football in the US, and even then it's often prompted by the organization itself.

2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Well that game was awesome

Berks, napper, MPNumber9 and 7 others repped this.
  3. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch.

FlapJack, Bilgediver and hav77 repped this.
  4. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Yep. It’s all rather silly in the grand scheme of things. One could argue Vela’s 15 assists and unqualified total goals makes him better, and we are of course unduly biased. That said if Vela is playing at age 37 much less neck and neck in the golden boot race I’ll come back to this thread and admit I was wrong.

One day not so many years from now machine learning and 3d rendering will have advanced to the point I can watch an All Star Galaxy team play a full season against other All Star MLS teams. It’ll be fun to watch, though tremendously predictable for the first quarter century of MLS players.

5. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This could theoretically be achieved in Football Manager now!

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  6. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Finally a fun game to watch. Our defense is like a sieve. They attacked Rolf all night long, and why not? He seems incapable of stopping crosses when everyone know that's what's coming.

I was disappointed that we have no game management whatsoever. At 3-1 up we should have been controlling the ball and slowing it down. Bruce would have an apoplectic fit watching this game. We won't be a great team until players start holding the ball and controlling the tempo. We just go non-stop...are you not entertained?

7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    To be fair both are remarkable and unlike anything we've seen before.

Vela, 27 games played, age 30.
    Totals: 28 goals,15 assists, 43 g+a, 71 pts*. 7pk goals.
    Per game: 1.04 g/gm, 1.59 g+a/gm, 2.63 pts/gm
    Per 90 minutes: 1.07g/90, 1.64 g+a/90m, 2.70 pts/90m

Zlatan, 25 games played, age 37.
    Totals, 25 games played: 26 goals, 4 assists, 30 g+a, 56 pts. 5pk goals.
    Per game: 1.04 g/gm, 1.2 g+a/gm, 2.24 pts/gm
    Per 90 minute: same as per game, because Zlatan played 90min each game

Vela wins the stats battle with his assists. But Zlatan wins the lifetime battle for obvious reasons but also because he's doing this at age 37 while playing for a weaker team. Who the hell is Zlatan going to assist on our team? In any case both are making history in MLS. One is a friend and the other is and enemy, but both are great players.

Btw for comparison neither 2015 Giovinco (22g & 16a in 33 games) nor 2018 Martinez (31g & 6a in 34 games) ever reached 1.0g/gm or 1.0g/90m marks.

*pts=2pts per goal, 1 per assist

Berks, shelbo, ProudNatRN and 4 others repped this.
  8. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    You don't need to was it until Vela turns 37, just look.last year. Vela had 14 goals and a MLS total of 41. Zlatan is at 48 in fewer games over the same period.

As for a Galaxy dream team, I had a difficult time coming up with a lineup. Too many great players.

9. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Would be a fun exercise though -- fans who have followed the Galaxy since inception voting on every position. Speaking of which - can you imagine an actual Keane & Ibra front line?! :eek::eek::D:D The pointy-yelly guy and the glary-yelly guy on the same field. They would surely end up trying to kill each other. And it would be poor Robbie - RIP.

TrickHog repped this.
  11. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #186 The Beautiful Gamer, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    I dedicate this one to you and the Galaxy. They channeled Vince McMahon Ruthless Aggression in this game.

Highlight Time Folks

This is what this team looks like with wingers and a Creative Center Mid who are a legit threats to score. Imagine this team had we had Pavon from the beginning of the season as well as an inform Llegett and a healthy and inform Romain for the entire season. Our attack would be legendary with Ibra. Teams would crap themselves at the site of us based purely on the attack. Even if we get knocked out at some point this game proves that what has begun will be glorious once the roster is 100% GBS.

ProudNatRN, TrickHog and El Futbolisimo repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Btw at one point in the game I said I thought Romney had a 100% pass completion rate. I was wrong - he had one incomplete pass. Plus he contributed a key pass and an assist:

upload_2019-9-16_15-51-47.png

Vindo310, Berks, Skevin and 11 others repped this.
  13. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    He beat El Pescadito's record that stood for 17 years. I am monitoring this. You can bet Vela is in for a treat when the old man surpasses his goals. It's going to happen.

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That might be something fun to do in the offseason. All-Time Galaxy starting lineup....

The Beautiful Gamer and skydog repped this.
  15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's exciting that we might have this down the stretch and in the playoffs. Didn't they say Romain might appear next weekend? A top 4 finish is easily achievable.

TrickHog and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  16. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking ahead momentarily, Montreal is falling apart and, even better, they have a meaningful midweek match (Canadian championship for CL berth) that they will go all out for. They could be tired come Saturday night. We will be rested for the first time in a while.

Berks, GalaxyOne, shelbo and 3 others repped this.
  17. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #192 The Beautiful Gamer, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Man it would be crazy to see that potential starting 11. And if you had to have 7 subs too dang the choices the choices.

18. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are going to Murderize them!! I can't wait. We should sub in Drini in that game also to get him up to par if he is ready for minutes.

shelbo repped this.
  19. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ninety percent of teams with a 3-1 lead will work to make sure they keep "numbers up" in the back. For example they will have two cb's back to handle a single opposing center forward - one marking and one providing cover. We did none of that. Even with a big lead we often had only two players total on the back line trying to mark a ton of space.

GBS clearly has no idea about how to defend a lead. Instead he has us play full steam ahead all the time. But it's fun when it works out. :)

20. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    After arguing which of them was going to take a penalty to see who would be the first player in MLS to score a double hat trick.

shelbo, TrickHog, skydog and 1 other person repped this.
  21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So many of our home losses this year (Colorado and NE come to mind) I've really felt it was our mentality that let us down. Always stretching the field with a go go go attack. Our defenders are not capable of being left exposed on even numbers counter attacks when our midfielders are caught up field with our wingers and forward. It's scary how we'll dominate a game and then lose on the odd chance like that. I don't know how you fix it but its a clear issue.

skydog, JPAR and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  22. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"The 2 years I have been here I've done good things, amazing things , Perfect Things!!"
    Ibra

I love this Dude LOL!!!

23. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Exactly - our personnel weaknesses make our tendencies to push too many forward even more costly. Now if we had a couple speedy, nimble, high soccer IQ backs we could afford an occasional lapse in defensive shape but we have.. well, you know.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  24. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    This game has trap written all over it. I hope the team is on permanent ruthless mode because if they try to phone this one in... there may be trouble.

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You felt like this match was coming, but boy oh boy. I think it's great that Zlatan got the hat trick, but more importantly our other players got on the board, like Corona, Lletget and Antuna. You want this to be that moment that turns the corner, but I'm not convinced quite yet. SKC is a poor team, all things considered, and they are kinda set-up perfectly to lose against us. Still, 7 goals is exceptional any way you slice it. I hate this team for making me believe in it again.