P/I/P Game 30: L.A. Galaxy @ SKC, SUNDAY 9/24/17, 11am PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Sep 22, 2017.

1. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Watching the goal replays since I missed the game and I think this pic sums up our season -- Chasing other teams from behind:

upload_2017-9-24_16-11-35.png

Berks, shelbo, rtdavide and 1 other person repped this.
  2. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I really want Zardes to work out at RB. He's a great guy and from L.A. so, if there's a way he can contribute enough to earn his salary, I'm all for it. He seemed to settle into the position a bit as the game went on so, I'd like to see him finish out the season starting at RB.

3. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #103 skydog, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Then watched Alessandrini's incredible free kick. He scores, puts the game within reach and the rest of the team just stand there, heads down, no joy whatsoever. Not a half-hearted raised arm or even a smile. I've never seen anything like it in soccer. Talking about no heart - this team is the epitome of it. Even Ema has looked joyless and mentally checked out on the field during the last few games. :(:(

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...kansas-city-vs-la-galaxy/details/video/135684

4. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The problem with Zardes is I don't think he starts over Alessandrini/Lletget/Boateng so it's either sit on the bench, move to RB or be traded. That's sort of the order I would prefer, but given the salary cap, the bench won't be the answer.

barroldinho, The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  5. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    The problem is even if he turns to be OK at RB, he's getting 577 k per year! That's far too much for a fullback in this league.

JPAR and skydog repped this.
  6. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least I know I am not crazy. I thought this game was going to be on FOX. I just couldn't remember the time. And then when they showed the Giants v. Eagles I thought it would be the LA Galaxy game to follow. Then I saw no, it was Atlanta United to follow.

I finally have enough sense to check in here and find out I've missed the game entirely because they chose to show a football game instead of a futbol game. Apparently I didn't miss anything except the smooth, soothing voice of LD critiquing our play.

Edit: Oh, and Gyasi at right back. I missed that. Maybe next week!

TrickHog repped this.
  7. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Cianni is bad, that first goal is all on him. Zardes is too expensive at 577K, now if he takes a pay cut down to $200K, fine. I am so done with Gio...

8. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlight Time Folks

9. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Actually, Garcia was an improvement over Joao. Garcia is competent reserve defensive midfielder at any other position he is at best at the emergency level. He is not an 8, a 10 or a fullback.

10. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Garcia is a minimum salary backup 6. And does a good job at that.

11. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is that not saying much? In a terrible season where no one is scoring, including dos Santos, who is making millions more -- he is the last forward to score / assist. If it doesn't make sense to carry him as a forward at that salary, it definitely doesn't make sense at RB. Sigi basically gave Zardes walking papers.

12. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, not starting Rafa when Jones is unavailable is incredibly dumb. Is someone still under the impression Pedro is a 6?

13. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I mean that when everyone is sucking, scoring last isn't necessarily a good or bad thing. It just means we suck. Its not like he was on a hot streak. I'd get rid of Gio too and I really hope that "playing for your job" thing extends to him but, I don't think it's going to happen.

barroldinho repped this.
  14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cianni is just getting torn up.

Zardes was so far out of position on the second goal.

15. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the TV commentary is right, that he was being thrown out there WITHOUT EVER EVEN HAVING PRACTICED at that position, I can forgive his positioning errors. Cianni not so much.

Berks and hav77 repped this.
  16. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sigi says Zardes did excellent. I didn't see excellent but what do I know. This experiment is just so desperate

Cianni definitely not his goal was on a near post run. He should have been able to defend it.

17. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I get for listening to the tv prattle.

TrickHog repped this.
  18. soft tattooed millionaire

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Sep 11, 2017
    With this new "lets try you in this position game plan" perhaps they could switch the defence with the offence and see who scores first....

shelbo, rokstedy, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  19. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    In some ways, Zardes at RB makes sense. He has the physical tools to get forward, is tall in the air and could be a force up and down the right side. It also keeps him on the field if you want to start Ema on the left wing. I have not been impressed with Gyasi's ability this year to score or take anyone on, so why not try RB. He just needs to take a pay cut.

WarGalaxy and L.A. Native repped this.
  20. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm sorry, but all Zardes at RB does for me is hammer home the season-long problem (which was anticipated by everybody outside the Galaxy FO and coaching ranks from the moment AJ was traded), that we have barely had a true starting-level RB all season.

I will grant them that Pele Van Anholt was brought in as a solution and we couldn't predict him being done for the season after a couple of games, but that alone was well overdue. The fact that we're now choosing a winger/forward in that role, shows that we never had a viable plan for this roster, period/full stop.

Ciani is also turning out as hypothesized by many here, as being a guy who couldn't find a club in Europe because he was a spent force.

The fact that we fans, as non-professional observers, have been spotting these issues well in advance of them coming to fruition, really shows up the FO as having no idea what they're doing.

It's now my theory that the only reason we'd got Romain Alessandrini, is because he was a talent that had gone off the boil in France and was therefore attainable. Remember that the scuttlebutt from France at the time of signing was that he was wasted potential and that the Galaxy were taking a risk.

I believe that everyone of Alessandrini, Ciani, Pedro, and even Van Anholt were punts, signed on the premise that they were alright in Europe, so might probably be decent in MLS. That goes for Jones as well, being an aging star with experience both Europe and MLS that might still have something to offer.

This whole operation is ripe for a reboot.

Dr.Phil, hav77, rokstedy and 2 others repped this.
  21. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Graham Zusi makes more than that, and he's one of SKC's most valuable players. His play at right back has been a revelation and revitalized SKC's defense AND offense. Leads SKC in assists (7) and I think leads all MLS defenders in chances created or some such stat. Don't discount what a pair of fantastic fullbacks can do for your team.

Berks, natfaninla, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  22. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you consider that most of his salary is off the books, because he's a HGP, it's really not an issue what he makes. That's why if Zardes is producing (doesn't matter what position) his value is incredibly high, in a salary cap league.

Berks, natfaninla, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  23. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not off the books anymore. He's on the full senior roster and was last year as well. 100% of his salary is against our cap (and being bought down with TAM).

Berks, natfaninla, LEM-LAG and 3 others repped this.
  24. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Thank you, that's what I thought. IIRC he's not off the books anymore since he signed his new contract a few years ago (can't remember when).

OK, it works for one team in MLS (maybe one or two more, don't have time to search). But that's not a standard to have high-paid fullback.

Just look at the top two teams in each conference :
    - Toronto : Beitashour (250 k) and Morrow (210 k)
    - NYCFC : RB spot shared between White (65 k) and Allen (100 k), LB was supposed to be Mattarita (175 k), but Sweat (65 k) is starting.
    - Vancouver : Nerwinski (65 k) and Williams (175 k) at RB, Harvey (180 k) at LB.
    - Portland : Powell (115 k) and Valentin (110 k) at RB, Vytas (222 k) at LB.

And I think it's hard to compare a former CM like Zusi (who has always been a great passer) to a forward like Zardes. Gyasi has always been praised for his defensive work (rightfully so), but his technique and passing are just OK. I don't get the "fantastic fullback" yet.

I'm not against the Zardes at RB experiment, it's just happening too late. If it doesn't work, OK it didn't matter but Zardes is probably still not a starter next year and it raises a problem for a player with his salary, and if Gyasi is good for the last few games, is it not very risky to consider him as the starting RB next year?

25. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Gyasi - but honestly I think his lack of consistent touch will be even more of a problem at fullback. Sometimes, often, there is just no recovery time at that position, and an error is pounced on. The best fullbacks have a really good touch, even if their speed isn't quite there. Thinking Todd Dunivant.

I don't know what you do with him, but I don't see fullback working out. I hope I'm wrong.

I still think he can be a cog in the offensive wheel, if you have 3-4 other good cogs. Gyasi is having problems, but I think Gio is the real issue. He hasn't been connecting with anyone.