P/I/P Game 29: LA Galaxy vs Montreal Impact, 9/12/2015 at 7:30 PM PDT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Sep 3, 2015.

1. RafaDaGafa

RafaDaGafa Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Fair point, but, from the recent games I've seen, I think you guys have a fair bit of height in your team. Against Montreal there was a clear height advantage at set-pieces. The (frankly awful) commentator on Time Warner Sportsnet even alluded to that in the lead up to the set piece in the first half which resulted in Romney's chance on goal. Plus, Gerrard is an all-rounder, but if I had to pick something he's not so known for in his game, it's headed goals (barring his epic glancing header in Istanbul). What he is known for is unstoppable top corner curlers.

Seems like a no-brainer to me :)

pastor repped this.
  2. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    It's actually pretty common knowledge among Liverpool supporters that SG, for whatever reason, isn't as good with his service from corners. Free kicks, yes, angled balls, yes, but corners seem to be a problem with him. He actually split a lot of corners with Coutinho the last couple years, and let Suarez take a decent amount of free kicks until he left. In truth, he hasn't struck the ball with the same power since he had a groin problem 3-4 years ago. He hasn't hit a screamer into the corner in open play in a long time.

I think all that, plus his height relative to the rest of the team, is why he isn't taking corners.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  3. RafaDaGafa

RafaDaGafa Member

Sep 28, 2007
    #153 RafaDaGafa, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    Can't argue with that. Something has definitely gone from his shooting game. He actually played with the groin problem for a few seasons while they worked in a time for him to have the operation knowing he'd be out a while. Stevie even said in an interview he'd been operating at 80% for years (paraphrasing).

It's not so much that Gerrard isn't great at corners as the fact Coutinho (little genius that he is) is better. Plus, Gerrard is better at one side more than the other (inswingers with his right from the left). But, with all due respect, he's still the best corner taker in the Galaxy team.

4. RafaDaGafa

RafaDaGafa Member

Sep 28, 2007
    As to the height thing, you have Zardes, Romney, Omar and Leonardo (admittedly one of them wouldn't play if the other is) disregarding Gerrard. Three six footers is still more than most. Taking Liverpool for instance, I'd say we only have three height/header threats ourselves. Skrtel, Benteke and Lovren (if you can call his laughable record with clear chances a 'threat'). But most teams seem to only have three real threats. Chelsea- Ivanovic, Terry, Cahil (Maybe add Matic for his height although I can't think of a headed goal from him).

In fact three seems to be the optimal number for most teams and you have that with Zardes, Omar and Romney/Leonardo. I guess it comes down to a simple choice of what's better- Inferior delivery where the ball may never make it to a head of one of four or superior delivery towards the heads of one of three.

I know which I'd choose :)

5. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait for the day...

when Stevie G swings in a pacey, looping, bending ball from the corner, makes a lung-busting sprint to the top of the box, and then smacks a screaming pile-driver through the back of the old onion bag.

That will be something.

6. RafaDaGafa

RafaDaGafa Member

Sep 28, 2007
    #156 RafaDaGafa, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    That would be a disallowed goal, foul and a free kick the other way. Second touch on the ball has to be different from the corner taker, remember :) .... still like to see it though.

From stories of folklore, the only player who could get near to doing this would be Maradona and he'd have to belt it a fair distance in the air and run under the downward arc of the ball at colossal speed in order to hit the volley. But football legend has it Maradona is the only player to have ever played the game who could kick a ball thirty feet directly up into the air, not move an inch and have it drop down onto his foot.

Apparently numerous teammates report having seen it. Have to slightly question him doing it every time which would require the near impossible feat of being able to angle your foot at point of contact in such a way that the ball is propelled upwards on a perfect vertical to come down without ever deviating from the original path.

Still.... nice legend to have either way.