P/I/P Game 27: L.A. Galaxy @ LAFC, SUNDAY 8/25/19, 7:30pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Aug 18, 2019.

1. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Old Europeans, like Jorge Campos, Mauricio Cienfuegos, El Spitador. Oh we've already done the ethnic pandering thing years before they thought of it.

2. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't ever forget the 5,000 new Korean fans who flocked to the Home Depot Center to see Hong Myung Bo.

Oh wait...

3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It started in '96 when we pandered to the Melrose Place fans.....

4. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they did show up. Once

5. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hey, the team had to live by it's namesake. A galaxy is supposed to be full of stars.

TrickHog repped this.
  6. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a video of Ibra beating up on LAFC for 2 minutes straight lol

mbar, TrickHog, patopreto and 3 others repped this.
  7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What a great vid - Zlatan scoring 8 goals in only 4.2 games vs the New Goats.

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Variety just announced that Paramount Pictures has started production on Daddy's Home 3, which will star Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Tyler Miller.

9. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I think that Bradley is attacking the very concept of the offsides rule. It seemed like LAFC frequently had 2 or more players move into an offsides position and then campout there. The defense tended to ignore them bacause of this. They would then get the ball out wide of the crowded center and that player would drive 6 yards or and cross the ball back to the previously off side players who were then behind the ball. This happens so fast the defense almost never reacted in time.

Vindo310, Beakmon FC, Geneva and 5 others repped this.
  10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If we had better outside backs this wouldn’t work. Good ob’s don’t let attackers get behind them often. Too bad we don’t have those.

barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  11. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a famous musician who was a Galaxy fan and season ticket member. When Chivas 2.0 started back up, he switched sides because it was closer to his home (somewhere in the Hollywood Hills). He just goofed on another celebrity G fan because he lives in LA and therefor should be an LAFC fan. I mean really, how big of a fan are you if you base your allegiance based on the proximity to your home??

MPNumber9, barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  12. CakeYear

CakeYear Member

none
    Jun 22, 2007
    Inglewood, Ca.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I hear you but on the flip side this rivalry is quickly turning into the league's flagship game and crown jewel. It put up big numbers on Fox as well.

barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  13. CakeYear

CakeYear Member

none
    Jun 22, 2007
    Inglewood, Ca.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    They have to show that though. Those are the shots for the Eurosnobs and the Liga MX watchers to show and say, "Hey look at this, this league has passion and pride too". We'll probably get less of that as the league gets bigger and ages some more.

14. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it's all good fun ragging on the plastic LMAOFC fans - I've been doing it myself - it's beginning to sound like we are insecure in our fandom. From now, I am simply going to ignore them as not worth worrying about.

Berks, ProudNatRN, Vindo310 and 8 others repped this.
  15. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree. I think the strongest position for Galaxy fans is to recognize that the new goats have made a strong entry into the field and are real competitors for fans. Yes, it's irritating as hell. And the bs reasoning many of their new fans spout makes it more so. But it is reality. And while we crush them in historical success people live in the now. So let's up our game, strengthen our roster (a lot) in the off-season and restore LA Galaxy dominance over the league, not just the upstarts.

tldr vers: Our best argument against the new goats is to return to having the best team in the league.

Berks, ProudNatRN, shelbo and 6 others repped this.
  16. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says the guy from Long Beach... :ROFLMAO:

Aren't we all (or most) fans of the Galaxy mostly because of the proximity of the team to where we live? I always figured that was the main reason I'm a Galaxy fan and not a fan of, oh say, New England. I get your point though. The celebrity was obviously not much of a Galaxy fan at all to switch allegiances because of 10 miles distance.

ProudNatRN and 7E23 repped this.
  17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a smart tactical switch from Bradley.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/08/26/warshaw-24-takeaways-around-mls-after-week-25
    This is the thing that worries me in a playoff match-up. They are a very flexible team and we're very one dimensional. We have to kill them off before they figure out and adjust, which'll only be harder next time.

Berks, 73Bruin, napper and 2 others repped this.
  18. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    First, after rivalry weekend, ragging on them is kind of a right of passage in the aftermath.

Second, while I sort of agree, I feel like the extended ragging is somewhat organic in nature. So much about them just prompts reaction.

The "Carson" stuff
    The thuggery
    The bandwagoning
    The fans that expose themselves as having no idea what they're talking about
    The teleprompting
    The camo
    The faux indignation
    The strange cosplay
    The falconry
    The ludicrously overhyped venue
    The ludicrously overhyped supporters section
    The delusion
    The girl pooping on her seat
    The lack of self-awareness
    The fans that turn up at DHSP each week

There's just so much to talk about.

19. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was actually a little nervous about facing them in the playoffs (though I'd still like to see it happen, should we get there) but it's worth noting that the only truly clutch games they've played, they've failed to win.

Those are the games against us and the RSL playoff game last season.

I don't think the US Open Cup really counts in that regard until you hit the semis, if that.

Conversely, when we've played them, we seem to treat it like a cup final. The one thing that makes me hesitant to say that we're "clutch" ourselves is the way we collapsed against Houston at the end of last season. Though on our day, we can crush any team.

ProudNatRN and The Cadaver repped this.
  20. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or their scarves branded with OUR team on them? As I said earlier, I'm usually not one to pile on and they were gonna get it this week regardless, but these guys make it super easy.

There's a meme going around Twitter of an LAFC fan saying "Vamos Gala--ERR--LAFC!" during a Times interview that's churning out gold right now. It's like, we couldn't make up this much fodder in 100 years.

21. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I'm counting on. Largely, we just outworked them on Sunday. We have to be able to sustain that for 90.

barroldinho repped this.
  22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If we have a healthy roster, we can use the strategy that won the first game by putting Polenta on Vela. That should allow us more control of the game and help us conserve energy.

mbar and TrickHog repped this.
  23. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I saw that! Hilarious.

Well, I guess they're making up for the lack of history in some regards. :D

24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    generaladmissision18 and TrickHog repped this.
  25. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I swear we would have won this game after getting the 3-1 lead if we had just played smart. Our team doesn't seem to have a possession mode. Aggression in attack served us well at the beginning of the game when we were fresh and needed to score. But after building the lead it was time to keep possession and make them ball chase as long as possible. With a two goal lead on the road just start making the easy passes in the direction you are facing. Swing the ball around the back repeatedly, probing. Pass back to the goalie and then work it out again. Build up slowly and work the ball up the field, going for a strike when it is on.

The worst thing you can do is what we did after we built the lead - repeatedly forcing attacks that weren't on even though they are just leading to turnover after turnover. Our midfield and forwards kept trying to turn when marked, dribble through crowds and forcing passes to closely marked players. In 2nd half every time we got possession we gave it right back with 5 or 10 seconds. That was an exhausting way to play and sure enough it wore us down completely. Plus it gave them soooo many chances to run at our goal.

"Well weren't the turnovers due to them pressing more after falling behind?" Not really. Yes, they pressed harder after we went up 3-1. But there is a way to play against that - keep moving the ball to the open man, from side to side, front to back. Make them chase. Wear them out by using their chicken-with-their-head-cut-off ball chasing against them. Rinse and repeat.

It was just flat out dumb for us to keep charging into the muck given the game state. And it's frustrating to me because it is so easy to see and to fix. Our players have loads of technical skills. Playing keep-away to preserve energy and a lead isn't that hard for them. They need to try it sometime.

Berks, ProudNatRN, FlapJack and 8 others repped this.