P/I/P Game 24: LA Galaxy @ Colorado Rapids, Sat. 8/1/2015 @ 6pm PST

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Jul 30, 2015.

1. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yep, RR athletic clearance into a bad spot. Zardes and Leo were also at fault though as well as whoever let Sarvas sneak into the goal mouth. Unlucky.

2. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    September in Los Angeles is known for its hot dry Santa Ana winds. The rest of the country with the exception of Florida will be quite pleasant by October when things get really important.

3. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My thoughts, team started out extremely slow. Colorado had a good strategy to start of keeping Rogers pinned back. They were sending lobs into his space for most of the first half. Galaxy spine was not getting any touches to speak of. Towards the half and throughout the second half RR was allowed to push up. He got some touches, the spine got some touches, Gerrard found his second wind and we were off to the races.

When Gio arrives I would like to see if as the right wing and put Zardes up front where he belongs. I would prefer to AJ next to Rogers and Gargan on the right.

Ricketts was fine and he has made some great stops over the years but I was starting to like seeing Rowe.

Very satisfying win. What I liked most was the character of the team. They did not get down on themselves after the first goal. As in the San Jose game a few weeks back they woke up. Good teams that play for each other and win championships do that.

hav77 and WarGalaxy repped this.
  4. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Ummm, this isn't just about the clearance. One could conclude Sarvas "sneaking" into goal mouth sits on RR as well, as he was the one who kept him onside while the rest of the defense pushed up.... And, obviously the whole play happens because of that clearance, which I wouldn't describe as particularly unique or athletic, just misguided to be playing the blindly to the center of the field.

Fortunately, the away goals finally came and it didn't matter. You know I'm having some fun with you because I knew I could count on you to defend him no matter what, but especially with our form in road games, those are the kind of plays that we've got to eliminate.

5. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Who gets into the middle or if it is more fluid will be very interesting to see. Frankly, any of them can play in the middle. not sure if I'm in the minority, but I still think Zardes benefits the most from the additional space outside. On a technical level, in tight spaces, I'd rather have Keane and Dos Santos. The other part is that no matter what, I think we'll continue to see the outside mids (Lletget, Zardes, whoever) play much more narrow and we are going to fill the box, as well as count on the outside backs to give he width.

Berks, WarGalaxy and Ghosting repped this.
  6. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah I know that...its pretty hard to defend a clearance that results in a lucky goal.

7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I know jumping on Stevie for being slow and in pre-season form is the in-thing right now, but we should also mention the 3 or 4 great long balls last night. At some point everyone will be on the same page and those are going to be lethal.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  8. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I don't remember any great long balls from Gerrard last night. I may have missed them, but my impression after the match (which I think is confirmed by looking at the chalkboard) is that he is not real sharp right now. I think his lack of dynamism in the midfield is going to be a liability that the team is going to have to mitigate for, as well. Also, despite the fact that he get's an assist on Keane's goal, that was a horrible play by both he and Keane. That will get better as they relax a little, but let's not kid ourselves. This was a mediocre performance by Gerrard. The nice thing is that (with the possible exception of his ability to run a lot) it should all get better over the next month or so.

Here's my full write-up:
    http://www.lagconfidential.com/2015/8/2/9086383/positives-and-negatives-la-galaxy-at-colorado-rapids

BTW... One of the things that I didn't mention is that I think Zardes is, very quietly, having a really really remarkable year. He has scored a lot of goals, but he does a TON of little things that help this team maintain possession. His touch isn't great, but he doesn't give the ball away in bad spots, and is smart about the touches he takes so that he has a margin for error. In addition, he makes a lot of decisive diagonal runs through the midfield, which really can throw off an opposing defense (very much like Donovan used to do). I am just amazed at how far his game has come in the last couple of years. Last year he really focused on his finishing and composure in front of the goal, because that's what we needed from him. This year he's worked on his possession game in the midfield. He has gone from a very one-dimensional player to a guy who can slot in on the left, the right, and up top. He has become one of my favorite players on this team.

9. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Houston in the heat and humidity and Denver at altitude are two tough environments for Gerrard to find his legs. But I'm pleased that he went the 90 with only one mid behind him (or in front of him as it was sometimes). His passing is amazing though. I remember one point where he received the ball deep and then quickly turned and passed it across the field right to the feet of Zardes on the wing. Same with Lletget. He does a great job of holding the ball under pressure and when he takes a shot, it goes where he wants it to go. I think this is a measure of how far we as a country have to go in terms of producing soccer players. Occasionally we'll produce a Landon but right now the products coming out of the academies are nowhere near that level. And actually we've only managed to produce a Landon once.

The Cadaver and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  10. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    66th minute, beautiful 40 or 50 yard cross field switch to the head of Gordon who knocked it down to Robbie, only a great save from Irwin prevented a goal. There were two more that weren’t in the highlights reel because they didn’t lead to anything; one was right to left similar to the one described above and one was a quick volley from the center of the park out right.

I’m feeling with Stevie the same thing I did with Beck’s; he’s nowhere near as good as his supporter’s are making him out to be, but he’s better than his critics are claiming. I mean he had two very good shots on goal, one of which led to Gordon’s go-ahead goal and an assist on Keane’s goal – which yeah it was pretty sloppy, but for a guy who’s not match fit, he ran 75 yards faster than any Colorado player and any Galaxy player to provide Keane with an outlet.

11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think our back four (especially for road games) would be stronger NOT by removing Leonardo (as so many of us want) but my removing Rogers for Gargan. Rogers was so awful on the goal we conceded and he is much less useful on the road when we are not typically bossing a game as opposed to at home where he plays a more useful role in our attack.

iride_mybike, TrickHog and Baysider repped this.
  12. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went back and looked at the chalkboard in more depth. My overall impression was probably colored by his poor performance in the first half. He was definitely better in the second, and I felt like his defensive effort was lacking all-around... but you definitely make some good points. I also rewatched the first 15 minutes of the second half this morning, and he did look better than I remember, as far as moving the ball around. :)

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  13. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got mixed feelings about Rogers. He is SO good on the ball that he really helps our possession. I just feel like he falls asleep occassionally. He's got to be more consistent.

14. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I disagree. The team as a whole did not look good until Rogers was finally able to attack. Once that happened it seemed to loosen everything up. In a way Rogers acts like a additional mid fielder and the Galaxy then plays a modified 3 in the back. That's why I keeping advocating putting AJ next to Rogers. AJ reads the defense much better than Leo. Rogers can then comfortably move into the mid field and combine with the spine and the forwards.

This team with these players can be bosses on the road. They just have to play Galaxy ball. Hunkering down is not going to get it done. Galaxy is a much better team when they are attacking and combining.

15. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    As much as I'd like Leo out of the game, this is precisely why Bruce likes being able to play AJ at RB. When RR is always forward, it basically is 3 at the back, and AJ can play CB. I think Gargan is a little more erratic in his decisions to go forward, so especially on the road you can count on AJ playing it safe and staying back more often than not.

hav77, FlapJack, Berks and 1 other person repped this.
  16. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    From Raymond Chandler's "Red Wind"

The Cadaver, shelbo and TrickHog repped this.
  17. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nice job on the lagconfidential write-up. Agreed with everything you said there.

One thing though - evaluating how Gerrard did last night and has been doing overall is an interesting exercise. In your article you did a balanced job noting his highlights first but his low-lights as well. As you mentioned much of the time Gerrard "looked like an old man playing a young man's game." The play was too quick for him -- in the first half especially -- and the result was that he was a non-entity for much of the time.

However.... like in previous games Stevie still makes his presence felt by making key plays when called upon, key plays that create goals when we most need them. Last night we tie up the game when his well taken shot forced Irwin (an excellent keeper) to parry the ball into the path of Gordon for an easy tap in. Gordo deserves complete credit for getting himself in the right position to put that ball away. But the goal doesn't happen absent SG's cracker of a shot. (SG should get an assist but he won't. I've always thought that a player who hits a shot with such pace and/or placement that it forces a competent gk to spill the ball for a teammate to clean up should get an assist, but MLS doesn't agree with me.)

And of course he and Keane were both key to our 3rd goal which I don't see as a "horrible play." Quite the opposite - I saw it as a goal created completely from determination, grit, and will to win.

Let's look at how the play starts - minute 92, playing at altitude, just needing to hold onto a one goal lead for a couple more minutes. Everyone on the field is exhausted. Cronin throws the ball backward to an unmarked Riley standing at the half way line. At this point all of the Galaxy players are clogging the top of the box area and so there is no one within 25 yards of Riley. What's the standard play here, that happens 99.9% of the time in MLS? The forward on defense will start trotting toward the man with the ball, everyone else is gearing up for the inevitable long launch into the box.

But Keane isn't a standard player. With a one goal lead at minute 92 playing at altitude and the guy receiving the throw-in a full 25-30 yards away the 35 yo Keane decides to take off like a bat out of hell to try to force Riley to make a mistake. You know, the way forwards do at the beginning of games but then abandon as they tire. Anyway sure enough Riley completely underestimates Keane's commitment, plays too casually and gets stripped.

At this point Keane has the ball at the halfway line but the problem is that his team is still 30+ yards behind him. Fortunately Buddle and Stevie G take off and make 70+ yard runs to support Keane (Actually Stevie ran a farther than that; when the play began SG was on defense on our right side, close to AJ and so had to run both the full length and width of the field. And dodge a referee on the way.)

Ok at the end the play goes non-standard. But that doesn't negate the work that went into creating the goal. Keane's obvious play was to pass to the open Buddle. But Keano either didn't trust Buddle to finish (not surprising given what we've seen from Buddle this season) or just prefers his old teammate. In any case he waits for Gerrard, makes a perfect pass, and then pulls up expecting Gerrard to shoot. But Gerrard, having drawn Riley over, actually makes the right play and lays the ball back perfectly to where Keane would have an wide open shot on goal had he not stopped his run. But at this point both Keane and Buddle are surprised SG didn't shoot. Buddle actually has the best chance to adjust his run and get to the ball to give it a strike. But Buddle doesn't seize the chance and pulls away from the ball, which is the right choice if he doesn't think he can get to it. At this poing Keane is all kinda "what the 'ell?" and instincts take over so he accelerates and gets to the ball first and then has the composure and skill to cut it back across the goal keeper, who can only slightly deflect it but not stop it from going into the net.

Game Over.

I just can't call that a horrible play. I call it amazing effort by two 35 yo's who are playing hard to the very, very end.

18. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can discuss the Rogers/AJDLG/Leo/Gargan backline carousel, but it seems to me that, according to Bruce, we just replace Gordon with Dos Santos (and then replace Buddle with Gordon as the 70th minute sub) and that's the team we are going to try to ride to the Cup....

19. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I generally agree with everything you say here. However, Gerrard's touch on the pass back to Keane was pretty poor, as was the understanding between the two players. My point in the write-up is that both of those things should improve as the season progresses.

The Beautiful Gamer and Berks repped this.
  20. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good to me.
    :)

My one concern is that we may need to platoon some guys. It will be interesting to see how Lletget and Gerrard, in particular, handle the grind of the late season.

21. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely. That's why having some actual depth this year gives me hope. Having guys like Villareal and Husidic coming off the bench are a good thing...

22. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    James Riley man of the match for the Galaxy.

The Cadaver, LEM-LAG, rokstedy and 8 others repped this.
  23. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Watch the play again - if Keane continues his run then the pace and angle of Gerrards return pass is picture perfect. Keane stopping made SG's pass look off. Also the pass was absolutely the right choice because Gerrard has drawn both the defender and goalie toward him, leaving Keane an easy scoring path.

You are right though that there was misunderstanding there and I'm sure that will get better with time. We just differ on the culprit. Keane made a mistake he very rarely makes - assuming he wouldn't get the ball back. But then he made up for it by scoring anyway, so it's all moot. At least that is my read - others may differ.

In any case Keane basically created the goal opportunity out of nothing but his hustle and he and Gerrard dug deep and made 60-70 yard runs in stoppage time in a game they were already winning. I just think they deserve a lot of credit for that.*

* I would give Buddle credit for making the run as well but he was a "fresh" sub (although he never looks fresh to me these days) and because I'm mad at him for his mostly lazy and completely ineffective play these days.

The Cadaver, kaburu, ragbone and 5 others repped this.
  24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This is what I would do. Zardes or Gio or Gerrard or Lletget helping Keane up top, the rest in midfield with Juninho. Gordo off the bench.

Geneva repped this.
  25. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I've noticed that even AJ is looking a bit fatigued, mentally and physically. He's a consummate professional so he does his job and tries not to let it show, but it does. It shows in his occasional mental and physical mistakes. They are still very uncommon but they used to hover around "never." And it shows in his demeanor at times as well. I'm sure international play and travel - even if only a couple games - on top of regular season games take their toll .