P/I/P Game 24: L.A. Galaxy @ Columbus, WEDNESDAY 8/23/17, 4:30pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    And referees should be forced to wear mime attire and do the box routine when making a VAR call, just to f with them, because that's how much of a joke VAR is.
    [​IMG]

2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This explains why Sigi looked like he was ready to storm the field in sheer irritation. Also explained me lighting up my room with some choice language. The Cole foul especially pissed me off.

Maybe it's my years of American football, but I don't mind VAR and it's interruptions. I'm less of a purist about it. I want it used for what I thought was it's original purpose - which is what @skydog laid out. To give the US a penalty when Torsten Frings clearly has a handball preventing a goal.

So go VAR! (I know an unpopular opinion). Just want it used right and consistently (aka, in calling for it, not meant using it consistently throughout a game).

There are going to be growing pains guys, no choice about that. Glad the Confederations Cup tried it out as an example.

Chupacabra repped this.
  3. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So digressing from the fantastic VAR discussion, but a quick survey. As there will be a bit of an overlap, who will be switching over to the GoT season finale at 6pm Sunday?

L.A. Native repped this.
  4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So you are saying that they will regularly be using VAR as an extra "boss ref" rather than an "egregious mistake avoider" that they insisted repeatedly it was going to be? If so this also means it isn't going to be the rarely used, unobtrusive aid they assured us it would be.

TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    It's new tech that both MLS matches and the Confederations Cup have revealed to be as much of a curse as a boon. Wednesday's example was the former - like MLS just got a new toy and had to play with it no matter what. Or maybe more like a survivalist stocking up on canned goods and eating them all within a month because they were there and the Vienna sausages looked too tasty to resist.

TrickHog and shurikt repped this.
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I thought the call back of Zardes goal in the previous game was an example of the perfect use of VAR. Initially it looked to everyone like a legitimate goal but video review revealed that Gyasi had used his hands. It was a 100% clear call and no honest person, even a Galaxy fan like myself, would argue with it.

But if VAR is going to be used in the way asoc claims I want no part of it. I already hate the overuse of video replays at the end of almost every NBA game. Even clear cut, way before time expired winning shots are being reviewed. It absolutely kills the instantaneous delirious celebratory mood such game changing events used to evoke.

ProudNatRN, TrickHog and Chupacabra repped this.
  7. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'll be at the game which should end just after 6. I'm gonna rush home, 2 miles away, and start it on HBO Go as soon as butt touches couch.

hav77 repped this.
  8. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Okay, I can accept your explanation of when. I cannot explain the clear error on the Joao Pedro offsides call. Yes he was in an off sides position when the ball was headed in. However, it was not clear that he either interfered with the keeper or touched the ball based upon all of the replays that I have seen. Is there a replay that shows either. If not is this not an egregious call by the VAR.

9. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He definitely didn't interfere with the keeper. You can kinda see a very slight change of angle on the ball as he deflected it. Pedro admitted he touched it so, I'm not gonna complain about this one.
    [​IMG]

^This is the replay that everyone saw but, if you go back to the original TV angle and slow the speed down to .25 you can see the deflection a bit easier.

@1:24

TrickHog and 73Bruin repped this.
  10. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California

Thank you. I was clearly wrong. I don't recall it from the Spectrum feed, but I guess that I only saw or remembered what I wanted to see. Sorry asoc

Geneva, L.A. Native and TrickHog repped this.
  11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be watching the death and carnage and deceit and betrayal and graphic violence......

Then I will switch over and watch GOT on the HBO app.

Geneva, skydog, shelbo and 6 others repped this.
  12. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    A true fan indeed.

L.A. Native repped this.
  13. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't object to the VAR calls, obviously, but does anyone think VAR made this game more entertaining? I object to it in principle.

shelbo, skydog, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  14. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I am quite sure that the Columbus fans found the result much more entertaining than Galaxy fans. I don't object to VAR as long as the results are right. In this case Columbus ended up with 3 points which was the right result and ultimately IMO more important.

15. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #165 skydog, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    My problem is if it has indeed changed from a rarely used "glaring error corrector" to a more routinely used video review mechanism method it will open a new can of worms and materially change the flow/excitement of the game.

There will be more accuracy for sure. But probably a quarter of the time a goal is awarded (more often on corners and free kicks) there are pushes and shoves and other infractions that will show up on slomo VAR and lead to a reversal. So now fans won't really be able to confidently celebrate "game winning goals" or pk calls in real time. Instead they will have to wait until everything has been looked at and given the VAR seal of approval. The likelihood of a reversal will just be too high. We are starting to see that already - quite a few goals have been awarded and then taken off the board in MLS.

I mentioned earlier the overuse of VR has already dulled the end-of-game experience in both college and pro basketball. I think this will be the case in soccer as well if VAR is over-used.

73Bruin repped this.
  16. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I take an opposite view. I never celebrate a goal until I look at the AR. I think even more VAR is needed not less (e.g. yellow cards) due to the often poor quality of MLS referees or their call fewer fouls entertainment based guidance.