P/I/P Game 22: L.A. Galaxy @ Portland, SUNDAY 8/6/17, 11 am PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm interested in the last twelve games to see what experiments Sigi will run. Forget playoffs, we have to figure out who we are for 2018.

2. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Oh there were plenty of games in 05-08 where LA gave up. Just as frustrating today as it was then, just not a novelty.

The Cadaver repped this.
  3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Yep. Playoffs haven't been a realistic target for some time now. They'd possibly be a negative, a good run – like in '05, might save some jobs that shouldn't be saved.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  4. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I've seen Ema play on the right before, and he was great there. Credit to Sigi for putting him there, where he could cut into the middle and score with his left.

I'm glad you all like Jona dos Santos on the ball, but I was concerned about how much standing around and watching he did. Looked familiar. Then on cue Twellman was talking about maybe the younger brother lighting a fire under the older brother! Sounds like soccer forum wishful thinking!

Jack Mac did that bicycle kick, when he should have just brought the ball down for Gio who was right in front of him. Overall thought Jack was serviceable, but he's not great scorer quality. I have a feeling he'll get a chance in quite a few games so that TPTB see if we should keep him or not.

I was a bit depressed watching that game. And Jones's diving in on Valeri was the turning point of the game and really cost us. He was doing really well before that.

Saw some good speed, quickness and clever moves from Van Anholt. Keep it up, buddy!

L.A. Native and The Cadaver repped this.
  5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ema and Pele were the bight spots. Poor Gyazi is snakebit. (but the call was right) Romney and Stere may have a future if either is paireed with a quality central defender, but together now not so much. Not really surprised with that denuded roster.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  6. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I was going to come on and post that the sky had fallen, but although I think we are unlikely to make the playoffs, I don't think we were as bad as that 3-1 result. We might actually have an attack if you had Alelessandrini out there and Ema and JDS on the field at the same time. On he defense we knew it'd be a struggle without VD, but I was surprised at Steres having such a stinker. In addition to Pele, I thought Cole had a good game.

7. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind seeing Ema tried up top. He isn't your prototypical #9, but he could play the line while the team sits back and waits for the counter to spring Ema. It might help him play the full 90 minutes too, not having to track back and defend on the flank.

It's clear that Zardes needs space. He doesn't play well up top because the defense collapses on him too quickly. He needs time to settle the ball and hopefully have the space to run forward or at least have time to think about what to do with the ball next.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  8. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I believe he played on the right against RSL at some point. He had two goals that game so maybe there's something there.

Geneva repped this.
  9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    On the bright there are parts from which a team can be built. If whatever keeps Ema from being a 90 minute player, he and Allesandrini form a solid winger position. Van Anholdt looks a reasonable right back which in theory could push Rogers back to left back next season. I’d be interested to see if Schmid can make something of Pedro, that pass to Boateng was sublime.

Code:
                Gio
    Boaeteng - Lleget - Alessandrini 
            Jona - Pedro
     Rogers - TAM - TAM - Van Anholdt      
                GK

Code:
               Zardes
     Boaeteng - Gio - Alessandrini 
            Jona - Pedro
     Rogers - TAM - TAM - Van Anholdt     
                GK

Code:
           Zardes - TAM
     Boaeteng - Gio - Alessandrini 
            Jona - Pedro
       Rogers - TAM - Van Anholdt     
                GK

Berks, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  10. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Said it before -- keep Gio up top. His movement is pretty terrible in the seam between the CBs and the midfield, which is why he has to drop below half-way to find the game usually. Shoot put Boateng in the hole, at least he'll pass to the right.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  11. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Anyone else annoyed by the Galaxy headlines “Sigi refuses to blame VAR for loss” … just seems odd phrasing for an objective, correct decision.

TrickHog repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This is all speculation on my part but I would be very surprised if Rogers plays professional soccer again. He was injury prone before his last last surgery and then we were told he had no feeling in his foot weeks after the operation. And now it's been 3/4 of a year and I've heard nary a peep about any rehab or light training. Add in the fact that his game was heavily reliant on his speed and quickness and it doesn't bode well for him continuing. I'm guessing we will hear about his retirement once his contract is up and he's no longer getting paid.
    But even if he wanted to play next season LAG should be very careful about committing to and/or planning around an almost 31 yo player who would be such a high re-injury risk. But
    again I'm just speculating so maybe he's doing great in rehab and has started running and doing light scrimmaging and no one from the Galaxy has mentioned it. I hope that is the case. But I seriously doubt it.

13. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree with everything here and wouldn't want to sign him either but, I've heard through a family member who has business dealings with him, that he's planning on returning to play next year.

Berks, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Good to know - I'll take real news over my speculation. Just surprised there aren't any "Rogers working hard to get back on the field" articles out there - it's the kind of story MLS fans (and a few others) would read, ie, good click bait for the MLS soccer media.

hav77, L.A. Native and TrickHog repped this.
  15. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    natfaninla, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  16. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just feel good about the future unless we have a legitimate (not a tweener forward/midfielder) up top. Any team that relies on Gio or Zardes to lead the line is destined for failure. We need a danger man in the worst possible way.

For next year the good news is we have like 8 serviceable midfielders (Zardes, husidic, Ema, JJones, Allesandrini, Lleget, Pedro, JDS). Maybe we can trade or convert 2 of them into some decent goalies/defenders/forwards.

What an unbalanced team.

Also, was it mentioned that Brian Rowe was garbage in this game? That shot by Valeri was not as good as the commentators pretended it was. It hit the middle of the net. Rowe was in bad position leaning the totally wrong way. 85% of MLS keepers stop that shot.

17. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  18. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess we will agree to disagree then. That last replay doesn't really show the bend at all like I was expecting based on your comment. I think Rowe allowed himself to be screened (doesn't help that he is so short) and didn't react until way way too late. If he sees that shot taken he makes a save that is very comfortable.

19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All we need to do now is win out the rest of our games!

StillKickin, Geneva and shelbo repped this.
  20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ok we disagree. The shot didn't end up anywhere near the middle of the net and it wasn't routine. I believe more like 10%-15% of keepers save that. He did hesitate a split second before jumping - that's on him. I think he got caught off guard that Valeri would shoot from that far out and he was screened a bit by Steres. But he was at full stretch when the ball went by him - the main reason it went in was because it was a rocket of a shot that swerved away from him. Shots like that are why Valeri is Valeri. And Rowe is not "so short", he's listed at 6'1" (Penedo was short, even though he was listed at 6'0").

mbar repped this.
  21. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've stood next to Rowe. He's probably just shy of 6'1". Steres is waaaay undersized as a center back as I would guess he's actually around 5'11".

skydog and mbar repped this.
  22. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I stand corrected then as my perception of Rowe has always been that he is small. I sit in the upper deck though. Also some of our previous keepers have been massive (Ricketts for example).

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's slight of built and doesn't have particularly long arms (like that freak Friedel does). He's sort of a tweener. Not the quick smaller keepers like a Penedo or Rimando. And not the tall and towering type like a Ricketts or a Ousted.

MPNumber9 and skydog repped this.
  24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Overall I would rate Rowe as an average MLS keeper. Certainly not great but not bad either. His career save rate of 72% is decent. It's down to 58% this season but the 11 game sample is too small to put much faith in. And I don't think Curt did him any favors by benching him after 1 game this year.
    I would love to have a top 20% keeper (like Hartman or Ricketts in their primes) - such a keeper would have saved us some points. But at least we don't have Ricketts redux (hands of stone) or Kennedy (reaction time of a snail) and we aren't enduring Diop's great saves being more than cancelled out by his blunders and poor techniques like diving way too early.

25. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlight Time Folks

My brief thoughts:
    I missed most of this game as my DVR failed me.
    From what I did see though, I am currently convinced that we will not see a truly stellar performance from Gyasi and Gio at the same time until our midfield consists of
    Boateng out left, Llegett in the middle, Allesandrini out right and Jonathan Dos Santos at defensive mid underneath.
    Until the play making service versus solid defensive work rate becomes consistently balanced, we will remain inconsistent and these two especially will remain hampered.
    Zardes needs space uptop and Gio needs to be feed constantly to remain a threat. If Gio isn't a threat Zardes gets swarmed. Neither creates space well IMHO.

Sigh,..Oh L.A. and MLS **smh** You get a guy's hopes up only to have them shattered by bad form and instant replay lol. But hey, Good call ref, but still way to take the wind out of a team's sails.
    Well this season is a wash at the moment.
    We are LA Galaxy circa 08 after hiring Bruce Arena for the first time.
    We rode out the year with the worst record and required an entire offseason to get it together.
    So I say spend the rest of the season experimenting as our preseason begins now as far as I am concerned.
    I said in another thread that after about 3 weeks we should see a marked change on the way we play. I still think that is true.
    However that doesn't mean we won't still stink. We should just smell less foul.
    Now if we are going to talk lineups and benching people let's talk about benching the people that we know beyond a shadow of a doubt are DONE like Day Old Dinner and won't be here next season.
    And "NO!" dangitt, that does not include Gyasi!!
    I sware the guy was a hero for like 2 minutes until the replay lol. He can't catch a break. Every goal he has scored this year has been waved off for one reason or another.
    I've been defending him since he signed with the team, but good grief this year has been crappy for the guy's confidence.
    SMH,...Anywho, on to the next game.

Berks, Geneva, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.