P/I/P Game 22: L.A. Galaxy @ Portland, SUNDAY 8/6/17, 11 am PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Jul 31, 2017.

1. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    [​IMG]
    TV: ESPN

KICKOFF TIME COULD CHANGE

Tried looking but, couldn't find any news yet about the progress to get JDS on the field but, if he can go, its likely the "warrior" JJ slots back to CB and Pedro/JDS get the CM spots. Hopefully we at least get a point what with the lack of games left and strength of some upcoming opponents. Making the playoffs won't be easy. Let's go Gs!!!​

Geneva and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    The game is sunday, not saturday fyi

L.A. Native repped this.
  3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Title fixed.

My oldest child turns 17 on game day. Maybe I can talk them into making a special birthday wish to help out the old man's soccer team.....

StillKickin, hav77, The Cadaver and 3 others repped this.
  4. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Triple digit heat in Portland this week. That plastic pitch is going to be an absolute nightmare, even if there’s a delayed kick-off time.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blegh!!!

6. shurikt

shurikt Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

A totally plausible 6-3-4 would get us to that 50% mark...

(edit: W-L-D, not W-D-L)

7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy hell. That's gonna be miserable.

Berks and The Cadaver repped this.
  8. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland is not built for that kind of heat. None of my friends up there even have air conditioning.

TrickHog repped this.
  9. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA

I take this to mean he would like to play Jones in the 6 role. He definitely was playing behind Pedro most of the time against Seattle and was more selective in the times he went forward (and Pedro was better about covering when he did).

I assume it depends upon whether Romney is ready to go (since both Van Damme and Diallo are out due to cards during the last game). If he isn't, then putting Jones on the backline has got to be preferable to starting Arellano there in Portland.

73Bruin, TrickHog and The Cadaver repped this.
  10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Oh damn, forgot about Diallo being out as well. That's a problem.

The Cadaver repped this.
  11. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Yep. It's why the discussion of putting Jones at CB is very immediate and not just a long-term discussion in case Van Damme leaves during the transfer window or we want to find a way to get all of our midfielders on the field at the same time.

The Beautiful Gamer and WarGalaxy repped this.
  12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, there is an article up on the Galaxy website where Jones says explicitly that for the Seattle game Sigi asked him to sit directly in front of the backline and play the 6. I guess a lot about Sunday's lineup depends on Romney's status.

13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And that my sons and daughters, is how you fix a team.

First, you figure out what the problem has been.
    What hasn't been working? In our case our biggest problem was our defensive mids too often abandoning their defensive responsibilities which called for them to stay connected with, and provide protection for, our back four. Too frequently all of our midfielders (and possibly Cole and/or Diallo) were all pushed up high, leaving acres of open space in front of our back line. At times these big gaps made us very vulnerable to allowing soft goals when faced with a quick counterattack. And even when our opponent had prolonged possession in our defensive third the defensive mids still often failed to clog and pressure opposing players when they entered that critical area just in front of our central backs.

Second, you tell your players how to fix it. Something as simple as the coach personally telling Jones to sit directly in front of the backline worked miracles for our defense.

Makes you wonder what Curt was doing, eh? I don't think he ever even accomplished step 1 - recognizing the easily fixable positioning problems that were the main reason why we were leaking goals. At least publically he certainly never said anything to suggest such an understanding. Instead he railed on about a need for us to generically "play better" and attributed poor prior results to "unlucky breaks." If by some small chance he did figure out the problem he clearly didn't communicate it well to his players on the field.

Sigi may not be the long term answer but he's clearly "a step in the right direction."

MPNumber9, Berks, rokstedy and 5 others repped this.
  14. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

@TrickHog can you change the thread title(again) to reflect the updated kickoff time, please? TIA

TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  15. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brunch soccer it is!!!

L.A. Native repped this.
  16. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Berks and L.A. Native repped this.
  17. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    TrickHog repped this.
  18. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Berks repped this.
  19. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Missing Jonathan (if it happens) sucks - so far everything is going against us to win this game. It is such an important game, pretty much make or break for the playoffs since a) we desperately need wins now and b) Portland at 1.35 pt/gm is the team most vulnerable to being passed by us.

We are currently at 1.1pt/gm. Seattle is 2nd most vulnerable at 1.4. Everyone else above the red line is averaging at least 1.5pt/gm and are extremely unlikely to be caught.

Its unlucky that the two teams we had the best chance to pass were the the first two on Sigi's dance card and JDS will miss both.

Berks, The Cadaver, Geneva and 2 others repped this.
  20. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    What I noticed in particular about Jones playing the 6 (to the extent I could tell from the TV broadcast), was that Jones seemed to be marking Dempsey trying to prevent him from getting on the ball, especially in the first half. If true, I wonder if he would be put on Valerie.

21. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missing Jona might be a blessing in disguise. He's a good player no doubt, but probably not gameday fit and probably doesn't even know all his teammates first names yet. Playing in triple digit heat on plastic would be a ROUGH intro to MLS for any player. Pedro's in decent form and partnered well together with Jones in the last match -- it probably won't kill to build on that even though we are eventually going to have to shake things up AGAIN to integrate Jona.

Berks, galvanator and TrickHog repped this.
  22. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    TrickHog and Berks repped this.
  23. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Wonder what the hold up is. Robbie got his P1 visa in something like 5 days. I remember because he was announced on Monday and played that Saturday against the Earthquakes. San Jose signed some “big name” the same day and they got all bent out of shape when Robbie was starting and their new player couldn’t play because he didn’t have his visa.

24. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #24 L.A. Native, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

Baysider repped this.
  25. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My guess with Robbie we cut some deals with Irish Embassy and that's I believe when they started selling Guinness, Harp, and a bunch of other Irish related memorablia. In exchange they rushed through the all the paperwork.

I have no idea if it's true, but it does make sense.