P/I/P Game 21: LAFC @ L.A. Galaxy, FRIDAY 7/19/19, 7pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Jul 13, 2019.

1. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks fair. De Jong is just using the raised leg technique to gain elevation on his leap. Purely incidental contact. :rolleyes:

skydog repped this.
  2. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That just means Zlatan successfully disguised it to fool you and apparently many others. No doubt he's been perfecting that move for years.

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And here I thought it was the Harry Potter books that invented the house troll

skydog, MPNumber9, shelbo and 1 other person repped this.
  4. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That might well be true.

I personally won't condemn unless I'm reasonably sure but you should know after all my years posting here, that if I was sure, nobody would be harder on him.

shelbo and TrickHog repped this.
  5. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1153840555627073536 is not a valid tweet id

Adding this as to you can see how we play with Zlatan

Berks and TrickHog repped this.
  6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not arguing for sanctioning him because he's on my team and I want him to play. But I do think it's probably a little tactical thing Zlatan does from time to time, like Ramos' arm-lock on Salah wasn't the first time we'd seen him do that move. It's just in these cases, there was a serious injury, but I think this kind of stuff happens quite often with hard men in soccer (though less with VAR nowadays).

I don't think he's trying to injure anyone, but he's making sure that when he clatters his 8 foot frame into you going up for a 50/50 ball, you're going to come down dreading going up for the next one. I have been pretty critical of Zlatan, but I can't think of a player I'd want more for these LAFC matches.

73Bruin, shelbo, GalaxyOne and 1 other person repped this.
  7. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds about right. Zlatan is not necessarily trying to hurt anyone, but I'm convinced he's definitely trying to send a message. It's really not hard to know where your opponents face and your arms are when you jump up for a ball.

8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #458 skydog, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Even though everything has been decided in Ibra’s case I still think the issue is interesting. I came across a US Soccer document with fairly detailed (and I think fairly smart) guidelines to help referees adjudicate “above-the-shoulder contact”. I don’t know if MLS has similar guidelines but here they are:

https://www.massref.net/ussfdirectives/Contact_Above_the_Shoulder.pdf

According to this doc intent is not decisive for above shoulder contact. Good thing because intent often isn’t clear in these situations. In Ibra’s case it could be a mostly benign natural motion (as @barroldinho & others argue), it could be an attempt to establish physical dread in defenders (@MPNumber9), it could be retaliation for Saleh’s earlier studs-up foul (@73Bruin) or it could be something in between.

Also note that due to defender vulnerability to face/head contact a high level of force is not required for a red. In these cases (contact actually occurs) the main factors are offender’s direction of motion (body and arm), area of contact and outcome.

Anyway if so inclined read the doc & make your own decision on where Zlatans actions fit. I think Ibra checks most of the red card boxes but that’s “just my opinion, man.”

Of course this is not an official MLS doc and you may take issue with its guidelines. I don’t know if MLS has its own guide for adjudicating arm to head situations. Probably not based on what I’ve seen. My guess is that every MLS ref has his/her internal set of rules; if so it’s going to continue to be a guessing game how they are going to rule. As it has been for years.

73Bruin and MPNumber9 repped this.
  9. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you make a solid argument, frankly. I think 50/50s are always tougher to judge than other types of challenges, although based on that guidance I think Zlatan's a little lucky to escape there.

10. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    By the document that Skydog posted, Zlatan should have received a red card at the time of the incident. On the other hand, Jair Marrufo was the ref and he has a history of not calling reds including one that should have been called on El-Munir earlier in the match. I looked at the referee thread to see their reaction. The immediate reaction from the moderator was that it was a yellow; 24 to 48 hours later (after everyone had a chance to decry the injury), it became a red foul.

FWIW, I have only seen a few camera angles but it looked like El-Munir made no real attempt to play the ball either. Rather he jumped (late and not nearly as high as Zlatan) to block Zlatan's path to the ball with his arms out . This was totally ineffective against Zlatan's height and mass. Had he jumped against someone like Antuna, I wonder if he would have been called for the foul.

11. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rewatching this match, I wonder if we tailored our game specifically to Marrufo.

The Cadaver repped this.
  12. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes, you gotta foul ‘em.

13. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+