P/I/P Game 15: L.A. Galaxy @ Colorado, WEDNESDAY 6/21/17, 6pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Jun 18, 2017.

1. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    [​IMG]
    TV: Spectrum SportsNet, SpectrumDeportes, MLS LIVE, Altitude(Denver)

Gordo scored the game-winner for Colorado last game vs Portland. He'll probably drop a hat trick on us. We might get JJ back this game. We'll definitely get Jelle back, at least. Gordo vs VanDamme! The altitude is a perfect excuse for Curt in this one, though... but, we've been good on the road too... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  2. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    How can Gordon not score a late game tie or winning goal against us? Late goals are his stock in trade and against LA his record is almost supernatural.

3. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hopefully he'll keep his shirt on this time.

4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't know if this has been mentioned but somehow we are on a 7 game unbeaten streak. Certainly doesn't feel that way.

Berks repped this.
  5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mentally preparing myself for Gordo's 90th minute game winning goal. We all know it's coming as evidenced by our debbie downer (yet realistic) posts.

He just has a knack for it.

TrickHog repped this.
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    His header against Portland was classic Gordo. His positioning, timing and touch on headers are top notch - this one was a perfect redirect. Ninety percent of forwards would have tried to power that header to much less effect.

7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Reminds me of 2005, success built on a house of cards. You take the results, or as in the case of 05 the titles, but you know there's a festering sinkhole of despair waiting to drag the team down. Each success delays and compounds the inevitable.

StillKickin, shurikt and skydog repped this.
  8. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Maybe the Gs will spare us this fate by going 4-0 down.

The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  9. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one could be 0-0

10. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We really are hurting at the moment. A 0-0 draw would be a great result with this team.

CARSON, Calif. – The LA Galaxy will once again be short-handed on Wednesday when they take on the Colorado Rapids.

Daniel Steres (hamstring), Jermaine Jones (MCL Sprain), and Bradley Diallo (hamstring) are expected to miss out on this Wednesday’s match against the Rapids. Galaxy boss Curt Onalfo told reporters on Monday that Steres and Jones are making strides forward and could be available toward the end of the next week, but Diallo is likely out for a couple of weeks.

"Wednesday’s probably going to be tight for [those] guys that you mentioned, but we’ll see," Onalfo said postgame.

The Galaxy will welcome back Jelle Van Damme from yellow card suspension and will have a full-strength Gyasi Zardes after the forward played against the Houston Dynamo on Saturday with a stomach ailment.

11. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking it coincides with Jermain Jones' injury. I haven't researched the dates at all so it may not be true, but it's hunch I have. I know they look better, to me at least.

12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct. Jones went out injured in the home game vs. Chicago, which we came back to tie. We haven't lost a game since (3 wins and 2 ties plus the USOC victory).

StillKickin and Berks repped this.
  13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...how about those apples? Now that's a trend to say the least.

TrickHog repped this.
  14. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Of course, it's also been 7 games since Joao Pedro last played defensive mid.

Skevin, StillKickin and TrickHog repped this.
  15. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    There was a lot of grief given to Klinsmann over the number of injuries sustained during his tenure.

MPNumber9 and TrickHog repped this.
  16. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just thinking that yesterday. IIRC, there was an article in the pre-season talking about how Onalfo was ramping up the fitness level of the team and training sessions were harder than under Arena. Maybe purely coincidence, but we do seem to have a lot of training-ground injuries.....

17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, it's a question Onalfo should be asked, particularly given the training-ground injuries. It's deepened the impact to an already-depleted team. Mendiola, Diallo and Rowe have all picked up serious injuries in training (well, we don't know how bad Raul's is yet).

18. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    My Spurs fandom distorts my view, but earlier in the year I mentioned the Galaxy looked like they were trying to play the high press style Tottenham does without anywhere near the players to accomplish that style of play. Same thing with fitness, Pochettino is notorious for having double and triple training sessions – which is great if you have the right staff and methods to do it safely.

TrickHog repped this.
  19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we are discussing training. I found this tweet interesting.

20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #20 skydog, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Well if they are so fit it certainly isn't showing on the field. Ema, Alessandrini and, to a lesser extent, JVD play hard but the rest of the team must be hiding their excellent conditioning.

Against Houston there were several occasions when we were in a perfect situation to launch a counter-attack after winning a turnover but we had to abort because our midfielder would look up and see he was in a 2 on 6 or 1 on 5 situation and his teammates were slowly walking out of the box, lagging the play by 20-30 yards, apparently picking daisies on the way. The midfielder would have to pull up and wait for his "super-fit" teammates to catch up. It stood out to me because it is a rare sight for the Galaxy. In fact it is rare for MLS in general, where running hard is seldom in short supply. (Running smart? Well that's another can of worms.)

Thinking more about it - the problem was probably worse because JVD was out. Defenses need a leader exhorting them to push up quickly after a turnover. Remember when Omar and/or AJ used to yell and swing their arms to get their fellow defenders to "push up, push up!"?

21. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
  22. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we are bringing our Human Spirit with us.

Go Galaxy!

Beep Boop Robot repped this.
  23. shurikt

shurikt Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Nearly identical to last week, except the peak slipped by 0.5 points to 46.

24. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna have to watch the game later via DVR, so going internet dark. I hope we win!!!

25. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Alessandrini, Garcia, and McInerney on the bench. Both Villarreals and McBean take their place. Van Damme replaces Arellano. The rest is the same as the Houston game. I could see Romain coming in if we need a goal in the second half. It's a lot to ask him to play so many games in quick succession, especially for the first time at altitude. Zardes starts out on the wing and McBean is an out-and-out target striker with Jose V playing underneath him. We'll certainly have speed on the flanks if we want to use it.