P/I/P Game 14: L.A. Galaxy vs Houston, SATURDAY 6/17/17, 8pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Jun 6, 2017.

1. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    [​IMG]
    TV: Unimas

Come out for a late kickoff and welcome back AJ DeLaGarza... and Leonardo to L.A. ​

Berks, 7E23 and TrickHog repped this.
  2. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unimas again (or Univision)? Why can't every other game be on ESPN or FS1 like SEA?? We actually had shots on goal when we won our trophies and we didn't get that many nationally broadcasted games. But then again, that's less Taylor Twellman to sit through.

TrickHog repped this.
  3. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    According to lagalaxy.com its UniMas. We have one more on Univision, 4 more on ESPN and 3 more on FS1. Otherwise, the rest are on Spectrum SportsNet. The Man U game doesn't have a channel listed as of yet.

4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Face it. As far as the national media is concerned we are yesterday's news. No big signings. Shiny new toys in Orlando and Atlanta. Big crowds in Seattle and more engaged crowds in Portland. And until the last few weeks we were playing boring crap soccer. If you were the program director, and not an LAG fan, would you seriously pick us over some of these other games? I wouldn't. I look at this as "well, at least Unimas is desperate enough to carry our games because of Gio."

Beakmon FC repped this.
  5. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true. I'd rather have the games on Spectrum because that SAP function doesn't work and I can't get any of the live audio to sync. I don't mind watching other teams in the league, but I'm getting tired of always seeing Seattle.

6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Another gripe - the broadcast resolution of some of the games make me think I'm watching an old video from the 90's. Last week the contrast between the beautiful crystal clear hi-def of the Champions League final followed by the grainy LAG vs DC game was depressing. They must be using TV cameras they dragged out of storage.

ProudNatRN and The Cadaver repped this.
  7. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Actually, Univision has had the best ratings of any of the MLS national networks thus far. The LAG-San Jose numbers were far higher than the Fox/Fox Deportes viewers for the Seatlle-Portland game the same week:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2017/05/...s-best-mls-tv-viewing-audience-2017-thus-far/

It may be that Univision has been picking the Galaxy over the other games because they know we draw bigger numbers with Gio in the lineup.

Beakmon FC, 73Bruin, napper and 2 others repped this.
  8. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question is, who gets first choice? Did Univision select us over the other games, or were we the leftovers after other nets got their preferred matches? Glad to hear about the numbers, but my guess (only a guess) is that LAG would not draw those numbers if not on a mainly Spanish speaking network.

9. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I think Unimas gets better ratings because they have a bigger soccer loving audience hands down and for the most part the Galaxy games don't conflict with Liga MX games. Gio is a bonus for them. My only objection to Unimas are the abysmal English language announcers they use.

FWIW, Spectrum (Torrance) often carries Unimas games on 3 different stations one of which is the local broadcast station. The SAP with english is only on the national feed (444 in Torrance).

patopreto and MPNumber9 repped this.
  10. shurikt

shurikt Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may explain better ratings for Uni* games, too. Even here in Vegas it's on three different channels - one of which is available on basic cable or with something I've heard referred to as "an antenna?"

TrickHog and The Cadaver repped this.
  11. shurikt

shurikt Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, just missing Gio from the roster for international duty?

Steres and Jones and Rowe hurt.

Any other team news?

13. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Geneva and 73Bruin repped this.
  14. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California

Thank you for the post. However, I am hardly shocked that the Galaxy underestimated the recovery time for an injury

15. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Van Damme is out for yellow card accumulation.

mbar repped this.
  16. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baysider repped this.
  17. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, that's why he played the Open Cup game.

mbar repped this.
  18. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No, he played because the Gs knew the extreme importance of advancing past the 4th round of the USOC!

Geneva and The Cadaver repped this.
  19. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    You're joking but that's exactly what Cobi said during the broadcast...

hav77 repped this.
  20. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I think that the front office team including Curt understand the importance of having the extra allocation money and see the Open cup as the easiest way to get it. I think that they would have played JVD either way.

21. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 MPNumber9, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    I wonder how we go up top. I assume Zardes will remain up top...Villareal looked like Messi in that Open Cup match, but its probably too soon to restart him, right? He'd be a good sort-of replacement for Gio style/role-wise. Or is it more likely that Jack Mac starts up top with Zardes? Or maybe some larger shake-up altogether? Either way, with Gio out this would be a great time for Zardes to step up and find his form. He'll definitely have to be the man if he's playing up top tonight.

Edit: I actually wouldn't mind seeing Zardes and McBean up top, either. On paper they play in the same role, but I think they can both alternate b/w being the target and false 9.

22. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Man I didn't realize we had a game today, and I saw it was against houston. I got really excited because I am actually in Houston this weekend with nothing to do tonight so I was really hoping we were away :(

Geneva repped this.
  23. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excited to root for AJ again tonight.

24. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My boy Boateng is gonna come through tonight.

Galaxy!

TrickHog, Geneva, Berks and 2 others repped this.
  25. ProudNatRN

ProudNatRN Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jun 10, 2002
    Norwalk, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our starting lineup isn't very encouraging...

LA Galaxy XI: Diop; Smith, Arellano, Romney, Cole; Garcia, João Pedro; Zardes, Alessandrini, Boateng; McInerney

Their Hondurans are gonna eat us up. If Gyasi doesn't score, we're screwed.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.