P/I/P Game 13: Colorado @ L.A. Galaxy, SUNDAY 5/19/19, 5pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, May 14, 2019.

1. okifeelthat

okifeelthat Member

May 4, 2019
    Like others before me have said, we desperately need another striker who has a nose for goals. Ah i miss the days of Buddle, or Gordon, and of course Keane.

TOAzer and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Uh wtf happened guys?

TrickHog repped this.
  3. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No finishers on team other than Ibra.

Berks, 73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog's Hot (and usually crap) Take:

This year, it's not our defense that's the issue, it's our offense. We only have one finisher, and if he's not playing, or playing poorly, we can't score. So we end up throwing players further up field as we dink the ball around with no one taking a shot, and because we can't finish any of our chances, we keep getting killed on the fast break - not because our defense or goalkeeping is particular poor, but because we end up with 8 players further up the field than the ball when the opponent gains possession.

(end THT)

Ghosting, Berks, hav77 and 5 others repped this.
  5. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Antuna and Ema were also useless on the pitch. Both should be benched. Time to bring back both Araujo and Traore. Move Feltscher to the right wing and Seb back to the left wing. Consider playing one of the CBs (Polenta or Steres) as the 9 in Ibra's absence.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Now that's thinking outside the box. If Polenta were told he was going to play #9 in a game I think he would be more excited than a 4yo on Christmas Day!

7. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think someone else mentioned Polenta as the 10, before Favio arrived.

But, we have a back up forward that should start when Ibra is out: Pontius.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well said - this is the core of the problem. A bunch of technical passers, no difference makers other than Ibra.

But even with these personnel we should be better. Poor tactics are killing us. We don’t hold positional balance as a team. One week we have too many in back line and so our midfield gets run over. Next week we have too many pushed up and so our two defenders get run over.

9. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    By moving Polenta to left back we've almost reduced him to Skjlikjilk - two players who won't track back.

The Beautiful Gamer, JPAR and 73Bruin repped this.
  10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Small sample size, etc. but my first impression is that Favio played as his resume predicted. Flashes of quality, but also suspect decision making and little actual production. A friend once told me to beware a “prize” that just looks like a prize.

mbar repped this.
  11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don’t mind bringing in Pontius off the bench because he’s been more effective as a sub. But I don’t like GBS waiting until minute 70+ to do it. In games like this (toothless attack, need a goal) I would bring him in closer to minute 55. Or even start him for 2nd half. Give him time to make his mark.

Berks and TrickHog repped this.
  12. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't read the thread or rewatched the game. I was there and there is only so much a man can take.

But for lack of a good finisher, there were things to like in the game. Life after Zlatan will apparently be a more flowing interesting soccer to watch.

I liked what I saw from Alvarez the Elder. Alvarez the Younger kind of floated around uselessly.

Antuna is a real mixed bag. I remember one defensive breakdown where he used his speed to do a 70 yard run and break up a Rapids counter attack. It showed commitment. He was also schooling the Rapids left back all night. BUT his crosses lacked power. They were easy floaters for Tim to pick off. Particularly where the man in the box is Ema, how likely is he going to get up to head one of those?

Berks, kaburu, Geneva and 4 others repped this.
  13. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Pontius is a right wing who doesn't have the legs to play the position anymore except for short periods of time. On the Galaxy, he looks like a forward because, besides Ibra, everyone else GBS has used there (Antuna and Ema) have been terrible.

He also got the start there earlier and the Galaxy got shut out.

TrickHog repped this.
  14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #139 TrickHog, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    All I know is we've got to get this sorted out this week, because my entire family will be at the Orlando game on Friday wearing all of their obnoxious purple Orlando gear and anything other than a dominating win for us is totally unacceptable!

15. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sorry @skydog, you're an idiot (ok, that's a bit harsh). I just checked up on your "impression" that Pontius was "more effective as a sub" and:

Pontius for the Galaxy:
    20 Starts, 1667 min: 6g, 7a, 0.32 g/90, 0.38a/90, 0.70 g+a/90
    27 Subs in, 356 min: 0g, 1a, 0.00 g/90, 0.25a/90, 0.25 g+a/90

Pontius prior to LAG:
    162 Starts, 13,331 min: 39g, 25a, 0.26 g/90, 0.17 a/90, 0.43 g+a/90
    25 Subs in, 699 min: 2g, 1a, 0.26 g/90, 0.13 a/90, 0.39 g+a/90

So historically Pontius has been slightly more productive as a starter (same goals/90 but a tiny bit better assist rate). But since joining the Galaxy he's been almost twice as productive as a starter. Caveat: small sample size.

Obviously my preconceived notion about Pontius, that because he's a bit older and slower he would be better vs slow legs as a 2nd half sub, is compeltely contradicted by the data. So, barring a Sarah Sanders "alternative facts" intervention. I'm going to have reverse position and say we should be starting Pontius. We desperately need those .70g+a/90min. Either Antuna or Lletget (for a mental break and recharge) or maybe Boateng to the bench works for me.

16. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sure do miss Ola.

Berks, LEM-LAG, Skevin and 4 others repped this.
  17. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Polenta has his qualities as a left back but with him and Rolf always getting caught upfield, it was a disaster over and over.

JDS the only defensive minded midfielder.

Just a recipe for exactly what happened yesterday.

18. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    The tinkering can help but what I come back to isis: where did the team's chemistry go to? Hurt guys, new guys, suspended guys... That happens to every team. It's not like we have played like this badly all season long. We were up the giddy heights before we got to this freefall mode. We were beating teams left and right. All the team's we have recently lost to are or were struggling teams. Sure we lost Romain but he was also personally struggling to regain form. Again the question: who or what is responsible for this lack of chemistry now affecting the front third? This malaise goes beyond tinkering. I wonder what the FO thinks of this huge slide?

19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Summer is going to be rough with Gold Cup call ups

20. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Why is Gold Cup a challenge? We will lose Jona. That's it out of the entire squad who consistently contribute. Who else? Lletget? Please. Antuna is another Boateng and Giancarlo barely started .

21. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Was it just me hoping Rolf would get the ball? He was the only one that looked dangerous toward the end...

22. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but he was like 0-20 on his crosses. Any one of which would be a goal. That was disappointing. Also his ability to participate defensively.

23. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He also had two of the clearest goal scoring opportunities and failed to capitalize. If you got a header 6 yards from goal- twice— that better be a goal.

mbar repped this.
  24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He was pretty effective at moving the ball into the final third. But then he - like his teammates - never made the right play in the box. Some of his runs into the box did get my hopes up though, I'll give you that.

TrickHog repped this.
  25. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    This is why I would like him on the wing with a quicker defender like Araujo behind him or overlapping with the speed to get back. Plus he is better than anyone else in the midfield in the air.