P/I/P Game 11: L.A. Galaxy @ Montreal, MONDAY 5/21/18, 12:00pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, May 13, 2018.

1. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Ola. Good for Ema. Good for the guys who stayed in the game and got the clean sheet and win.

Sigi, please build on this. You’re the boss. Be the boss.

Winning feels good!

Berks, barroldinho, skydog and 5 others repped this.
  2. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't know what to think anymore.

Clearly we are better without Gio... are we a better team with Ola up top and Zlatan behind him? There is no way Zlatan out-runs that defender and scores that goal, and we are not a possession team which is Zlatans' strength. Ca we use Zlatan as a sub?

It's so ironic that our highest profile players are causing us the most headaches.

skydog repped this.
  3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I don’t know seems pretty clear to me we are a shit team who came up against an even shittier team.

4. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So next week, with Cole back, do we prefer Klimenta at right back or Romney on off foot there?

I’d say go with klimenta. He was brutal going forward but seemed to improve as game went on.

He had bad defensive moments too but I just felt better about his overall positioning. Biggest issue was how easily he was beat 1v1.

5. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Good point here from Sigi:

[​IMG]

6. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least we didn't lose 3-2

7. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Feels good to win again. That was a traumtic little losing run we had, fun but time to move on. Impact dont have a clue but i will take the 3 points. Its seems so long since we had three points to rub together, maybe the turn has begun. Maybe San Jose is where we complete the u-turn. One last chance to see Jona with Ola in his proper position. Hopefully Gio is still "injured" by friday. No Ibra... is this what he meant by YOU'RE WELCOME LA? What a moron.

barroldinho repped this.
  8. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will watch again but my reaction during the game was that Klimenta was getting beaten 1 v 1 regularly. If Montreal was not completely toothless we would have been burned for goals on one or more of those occasions.

Which is not to say that Klimenta is worse than Romney playing out of position and I would give Klimenta another shot. The more interesting question, to me, is whether Romney comes out for Cole. I don't think that is an automatic upgrade defensively, although clearly Cole provides more going forward.

Only one other observation: I think that was the best game I have seen Bingham play for us.

Berks, barroldinho, skydog and 4 others repped this.
  9. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You wouldn't be alone in that.

barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  10. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Old traditional soccer chant:
    Can we play you every week
    Can we play you every week

11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, very good point. And we've seen VAR go back and give a PK for something that wasn't initially called, so it isn't like VAR doesn't allow that....

12. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely happy to see at least something positive. Ground out a result against a poor team, but it's still a result down to 10 for more than half the game.

Our back-line is still awful. Klimenta was getting burned like crazy, Ciani makes stupid plays, Skjelvik can't pass but thinks he can. If Montreal had any sort of finishing boots on, we'd be have walked out with zero points. I don't remember any super egregious stuff from Romney but there were a lot of crosses swung in from his side of the field. We couldn't build out of the back to save our lives, either.

Our midfield doesn't click for me, either. Had a hard time making simple passes and runs. I think both Kitchen and Jona need to be in a 3 man central midfield.

I still love Ola. I'm excited to see him in his proper position next game. Worked hard, went down a bit easy for my tastes a couple of times, but did his job. Boateng's energy, speed and work ethic is unrivaled on this team and he changed the game.

I'm ecstatic that Zlatan will have to sit a game. Dude's a petulant spoiled child reacting poorly to the first real on-field adversity in his career by screwing over his team mates and walking around the field. I have zero respect for Zlatan at this point.

MPNumber9 and ProudNatRN repped this.
  13. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #113 Beirut, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    We were on the road, down to 10 men after our super star made a boneheaded decision, and on the brink of losing 5 in a row.

Great result.

I'm going to be a Debbie downer though and say that the result was fantastic but the performance did nothing to convince me that this team will turn it around.

We were god awful for long stretches of that game. We were LUCKY not to concede in this game. Even at 0-1, we gave up clear cut chances. Luck and Bingham kept us in this one.

I will say that Ola is fantastic. It isn't just the scoring, but the effort, and his commitment to making sure to honor the legacy of our club. He's doing and saying all the right things.

I'll even give Pontius a shout out. Dude isn't anywhere near the player he was, but he's smart and serviceable. Good bench guy.

Imagine where we would be if we had an organized, compact defense with a striker as lethal as Ola?

Imagine where we would be if we could hit reset on that DP button?

The Cadaver, ProudNatRN, 73Bruin and 3 others repped this.
  14. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    No need to apologize for saying the truth. But the silver lining is we won and 3 points are three points and we are just below the red line only one win behind the next team. Things are moving in the rigth direction and that's a start. A friday win builds on that notion and from them good things become more within reach. Yeah, we WERE god awful. Now we are just awful...

Saw the rplay secong half and I hope Gio was watching. Ola is WC bound also (even tho Norway has yet to release roster) and his commitment to team, his runs, his focus is commendable. This guy is truly trying to earn his pay. I hope Gio and his dad come to grips just what the hell they signed up for with Galaxy. I really hope we can keep Jonathan.

15. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Norway hasn't qualified for the WC since '98. Ola is staying here all summer.

16. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Why do I keep thinking ola is leaving/ thanks for the correction. I have just slapped myself zlatan style.

18. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Ibra did not push him in the face. It was in the back of his head.

19. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    How the hell does Klimenta get a 7.0 rating? He was abysmally bad. He couldn't complete a pass to save his life and couldn't get forward. However his meager offensive contribution vastly exceeded his terrible defense. My rating was a 2.0 - meaning he can walk without assistance. I didn't think he could have been worse than Steres at RB, I was very, very wrong.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  20. CakeYear

CakeYear Member

none
    Jun 22, 2007
    Inglewood, Ca.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hopefully we can look back and say that it was "The Slap" that changed the season

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that at first too but there is an angle that shows a pretty good slap to side of face in my opinion.

22. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    The video on the MLS Instant analysis page IMO shows the contact as being the back of the head and Zlatan's fingers hitting the ear. I might agree that it's primarily on the side of the head but I didn't see any contact with the face.

23. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this what we have come down to debating? Says a lot about how the season is going.

Not a knock on either you or anyone else posting about the location of the slap. But if there had been more good things to think about this would not be an issue.

barroldinho, skydog and 73Bruin repped this.
  24. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's because our highest profile players were not signed with the needs of the roster in mind. They were signed literally because of their profile and our roster has been repeatedly nerfed to accommodate such players.

The Cadaver, Dawdler, napper and 4 others repped this.
  25. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Not so fast. He was called in for Norway's June friendlies.