P/I/P Game 11: L.A. Galaxy @ Columbus, WEDNESDAY 5/8/19, 4:30pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, May 4, 2019.

1. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remind me why we signed Gonzales if we didn't intend to play him.

2. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's called passion, football has been in the family since before my inception. And home club passion is amplified a million times over.

3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Good as in a reality check. The team is not as good as the league position or recent results suggest. It’s getting better, it’s a hell of a lot better than the past three seasons, but I don’t think it’s second in the league good.

hav77, kaburu and TrickHog repped this.
  4. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cringe every time I heard that statement on air. It's lazy announcing at it's finest and wildly incorrect. However, it's immediately more believable when spoken in an English accent.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ports-bust-common-myths-is-2-0-the-worst-lead

Thank goodness I was stuck interviewing job candidates last night and missed the mess in CBUS.

barroldinho and The Cadaver repped this.
  5. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just did a quick read through and will add my 2c:
    It appears true the Galaxy aren't nearly as powerful as our current league position would suggest. Well, it was fun while it lasted...
    I think the hate for Bingham is a bit irrational. No keeper in the world would come close to saving the first and third goals. Maybe the second he could have stopped, but come on, you let a striker walk into the box unchallenged and expect your goalie to make the save from 16 yards out? He's far from the best goalie in the league, but is NOT the problem on this team.
    Rolf and Skjelvik are the biggest problems, but not the only ones, by far (unless you figure their costly signings have prevented us from getting some better players in other positions).. Not sure what Corona is doing, and Carrasco and Boateng are stop gaps at best. Even Lletget looks clueless with the ball in the offensive zone. Instead of attacking the goal when they get the ball in the area, they pass it out wide to Rolf, totally relieving the danger. Without Romain and JDS, this team just isn't that good. I guess we can hope to hang on for the playoffs and then go on a run when everyone is healthy again.

hav77, natfaninla, WarGalaxy and 2 others repped this.
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Agree that problems run deeper than goalkeeping - I think he is just our 2nd or 3rd weakest link, with Sjkjl being the first, by far. Also agree third goal not on Bingham which is why I never criticized him for that goal in my posts. But completely disagree with your statement that no keeper would save first goal. It was a nicely placed ball and Zardes made a perfectly timed run so that's going to be a goal a certain % of the time. But it's also worth noting that the cross was coming straight for Bingham and was in the 6 yard box before Zardes touched it. PLENTY of keepers would read the flight of that ball and come out to punch it away. It's not a horrible play by David, but nor is the aggression you would expect from a good keeper. That ball never comes down against the old Rimando - promise you that.

upload_2019-5-9_14-22-4.png

upload_2019-5-9_14-14-55.png

Also, as the CLB announcers point out, Polenta couldn't have played it much better. He was tight on a hard cutting Zardes running toward his own goal. Much easier for the gk who is coming toward the ball and clear it.

Also this play didn't happen in a vacuum. Save problem with midfielders not helping enough getting back on the road. The CLB #18 who made the cross had way too much open space and time, which is why he was able to get off such a beautiful centering pass in the first place.

upload_2019-5-9_14-20-41.png

Dr.Phil and hav77 repped this.
  7. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    There was almost nothing Bingham could do for the first goal. I'd argue that even Polenta played that very well. Those goals just happen. It was a tip, and it went in.

2nd goal was bad. Skjelvik's side gets exposed, and I thought Bingham could have saved that, but I don't put the blame solely on him for that one. That shot shouldn't have happened, and when it did, it was a really good shot.

3rd goal was just bad luck. It deflected perfectly to Jimenez and no one was following his run. Yet again Skjelvik ball watching.

GalaxyOne, El Futbolisimo and skydog repped this.
  8. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know right. Not even 5 minutes after I posted that he goes down and I am immediately kicking myself.

patopreto and TrickHog repped this.
  9. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    What do your Ajax friends say? Great dramatic matches for those who havent seen them. Go get you a replay somewhere. I guarantee it will wash away the taste of crap that Galaxy left on you.

10. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    But you don't understand. Having some new, unproven keeper will solve all our on-field problems and maybe now that I think of it help Guillermo get a grip on his frigging team. You just have to believe. Seriously tho, I am putting at this point, half the blame on the lethargy of the team and half on the man that wields it. Wake your team up Guillermo. You just dropped six points to struggling teams and gave them renewed hope by your and your team's ineptness. Despierta Guillermo, despierta!

GalaxyOne repped this.
  11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You don't think he could have come out and punched it rather than letting it come down in the 6 yard box?

I can't help but think about all the keepers I see who come out hard, even regularly jumping over and sometime injuring their own defenders because of their aggressiveness in controlling their box. Our defenders - unfortunately - are completely safe from this threat.

Otherwise pretty much in agreement with the points you made, especially the point that some goals are just good offense.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  12. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Tell me about it. Not out to Rolf but side to side and side to side ad nauseum until the Crew defense relived us of the ball. Nobody wanted to make a run or make a move and take a shot. Nobody! Crew did, that's why they beat us. Nevermind the inaccurate short passing and the constant bouncing of balls off the Crew players. It was amateur hour.

Romain was struggling out there before his injury. Jona being out 2 - 3 games will be felt. Hopefully this new guy can integrate quickly and shake the offense loose enough to dislodge the clog.

I for one do not buy in to the notion we are not where we belong. We played our way here and we can remain here if Guillermo can point this out to his players. Tgese two losses again were not against top teams. These were struggling teams. we just played down to them... Guillermo?

13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    GBS has done a great job at getting the Galaxy to play with more composure and to maintain possession. But I also see a team who still hasn't learned how to keep its basic shape when playing on the road. As the game goes on we tend to get really spread out, leaving acres of open gaps between our forwards, midfield and back line. This makes us vulnerable to quick counter strikes, like CLB pulled off a few times.
    I don't think GBS has a rep for his defensive strategizing. But somehow the team needs to figure out how to stay connected- and not just when playing at home.

14. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Oh yeah, The New England revolution
    So you are saying we have no consistency... Agreed. You are saying GBS has no rep for strategizing... Agreed. That is a bold statement and the question that begs itself is: Do you think Guillermo, based on what we have seen so far, is the coach for us and why? I am having second thoughts. How is the team to figure out what they need to do to stay connected? Is that not the job of the technical director to do that?

15. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Ignore the Revolution comment, that was for different site.

16. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All good points, especially at the last. MLS is not a league where even the best teams can walk into another team's stadium and get a result. Bruce Arena is probably a little more pragmatic and gets ugly ties out of these matches; maybe steals a 1-0 win of a corner or something.

True; our bad bad defenders compound the problem. Going back to the point above, we need to be able to lock things down -- win ugly if needed -- when we're traveling.

17. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    "Atlas and US national team center back Omar Gonzalez is training with his former club LA Galaxy. Why?

There's nothing to it, per the club, as they allow former players to train with the club if they choose. With the Gold Cup starting in a month and Atlas' Liga MX season over, Gonzalez may be looking to stay fit and sharp."

18. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. There are some goals that are just so well executed, there is just not much the defense can do to stop it. No chance in heck Rimando or any other sane GK comes to punch that ball out on the 1st goal. That would be instant career ender right there.

19. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I thought the first goal was very well done. For a guy dogged about his first touch, that was a real classy finish from Zardes on the run.

skydog repped this.
  20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    oooohhhh.... you are so tempting me. :unsure::unsure::unsure: My inner work procrastinator is yelling that it would only take an hour to find maybe a dozen clips of gk's coming out and punching out almost identical crosses....
    Of course that little devil has lied to me in the past...Must keep on task...must keep on task...

21. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could, but you could find many top keepers getting scored on that way, too. Perfect cross in from Robinho. The blame is on Feltscher for not getting tighter to his man, IMO.

22. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenty of blame. Fletscher could have done better to close down the cross instead of allowing the cross. Polenta was a step late in tracking. There is bad/no communication between Bingham and Polenta on getting the cross. As a defender if your keeper doesnt call for it you have to assume he isnt going for it. Polenta then has to try and get a foot to it before Zardes. Bingham was in a better position to clear the ball and should have.

73Bruin repped this.