P/I/P Game 10: L.A. Galaxy @ NYRB, SATURDAY 5/4/19, 11am PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So disappointing to drop points on the road after being up at half. This team still has a long way to go.

Berks, The Beautiful Gamer and WarGalaxy repped this.
  2. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Midfield defending was poor on the road. Ok for non-DM’s to be that far up at home but on road they have to drop back, clog passing lanes and build off counterattacks. We did that a little during first half but were way too spread out 2nd half. Made it too easy for NYRB.

73Bruin, napper, FlapJack and 1 other person repped this.
  3. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    NYRB vs Galaxy.

WarGalaxy, GalaxyOne and TrickHog repped this.
  4. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit unlucky to lose that game. Galaxy should have had a goal or three more.

mbar repped this.
  5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #155 skydog, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
    I’ll give you the 5 minutes before the goal. But they completely dominated first 20 mins so ‘against run of play’ was true for the half when we 1st scored. But if you want to be a stickler you’re right - not against run of last few minutes of play.

GalaxyOne and TrickHog repped this.
  6. okifeelthat

okifeelthat Member

May 4, 2019
    Hey guys long time lurker, first time poster.

Really entertaining game both ways, unfortunately we can’t win them all.

My thoughts in the second half were Armas smartly made changes both tactical and personnel wise to pressure our most vulnerable defensive player, Traore. It seemed like from the second half onward they would send three to four players down the left side to create confusion and it worked. On the second to third goal, Traore was too close to Polenta, man marking the guy in front of him and allowing a basic outside run by him.

Of course, Traore was not at fault completely, our midfielders were not tracking back for whatever reason.

Also, I thought the Boateng for Antuna sub was too early. Antuna had just missed two opportunities, but he is and will always be more of a threat than boateng, whose crosses are on par with Feltschers, and that’s not a good thing.

Berks, napper, ShortyMac and 13 others repped this.
  7. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Sucks, we had it. Those defensive blunders... Wow. Well, it had to happen sometime. Hopefully this new guy Alvarez and our own youby Alvarez can come in and contribute when they finally are out on the pitch.

8. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting game with both teams have a long stretches of dominance over the other. I think on most days we at least tie. I think our weak link was Traore very clearly. They victimized him on both second half goals against. You could see his confidence fading as game went on. Steres also had his weakest game in a while. You can tell early with him if his passing is nervy and off and it was today early on. Lleget needs to find a way to contribute on the scoresheet. Bingham made some great saves. I bra was mostly good. Polenta was best defender. JDS our best player overall.

73Bruin, shelbo, kaburu and 1 other person repped this.
  9. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Can't wait for Efrain Alvarez to come back and Favio Alvarez to sign, because our offensive subs are very meh.

Berks, 73Bruin, ShortyMac and 4 others repped this.
  10. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points. And welcome!

shelbo repped this.
  11. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And don't forget Robles' best friend, the post.

12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Welcome aboard first time poster! We are mostly a friendly bunch now that Sanda is gone. Well, we are friendly other than GalaxyOne.*

* JK. I like G1's feistiness. He just protecting us from group-think, a protection sorely needed these days!

13. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although that one foul when the RBNY forward backed right into him just before Steres headed the ball away was a BS call. Should have been a foul the other way or nothing at all.

73Bruin repped this.
  14. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes me wonder what was the urgency to sign Gonzalez. He's not even playing and not really needed. We need a striker and midfielder. I guess if we eventually get all three that will be fine. Still, CB is now our most overloaded position, I think.

skydog repped this.
  15. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think it's fair to say we were never going to maintain a 2.4 PPG pace, but I see a team with A LOT of strengths. I think we'll be fine.

shelbo repped this.
  16. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    As a kid, I wanted to play GK (I was inspired by Jorge Campos). My mom asked my great uncle to come over and teach me to be a GK. He was a great GK in El Salvador. He told me that one of the biggest and best skills a GK can have is luck.

He’s not wrong!

El Futbolisimo and GalaxyOne repped this.
  17. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d be down with a back four of :

Svevergdfg—polenta——Gonzalez—-Araujo

(Apparently Araujo is on trip and available even though he was not on bench today. )

WarGalaxy repped this.
  18. okifeelthat

okifeelthat Member

May 4, 2019
    Thanks for the welcome! I would like your posts but I don’t think I have that privilege yet.

Also, any idea why Gonzalez isn’t getting any playing time yet?

19. ProudNatRN

ProudNatRN Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jun 10, 2002
    Norwalk, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will get the start in Columbus, I can practically guarantee that. GBS has mentioned that he didn't want to break up Polenta and Steres since they have been in good form. Three goals against and three games in a week suggest he will break them up and pair Polenta and Pipo.

73Bruin, The Beautiful Gamer and skydog repped this.
  20. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard fought loss that I expected, but dammit, we had the lead. Teams keep making the 2nd half adjustments and up their effort against us. We came close many times, but couldn’t get that 3rd goal.

Love Pontius. Thought Juni looked alright in his cameo. Jona always balls. Dang.

shelbo repped this.
  21. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm absolutely livid! WTF do we have VAR for when the ref still makes a shit call? We got the screw job like always because we're LA Galaxy! It's a joke and Don better step in and do something about this amateurish referring! Imagine this happening at MLS cup final? A season of hard work, sweat and blood. Just to be Monica Lewinsky'd by the referee and video assistant! It's a travesty and disgrace!

L.A. Native and Beirut repped this.
  22. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I’m pretty sure it’s because Steres has been playing the best he’s ever played all season. It’s possible Steres is also out performing him in training as well.

GBS may also be waiting for Polenta to full settle before swapping his CB partner.

As for todays game, goals 2 and were almost identical. NYRB were able to suck Jona out wide by overloading our left and exploit the space from Lleget and Corona not tracking back. I think GBS should have subbed Juninho on earlier to help cover that space.

We had plenty of chances to win that game, it’s unfortunate we didn’t put them away. Hopefully Antuna doesn’t let his multiple missed chances get him down.

Berks, napper, Beirut and 2 others repped this.
  23. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Very true about the tracking back failures and Jona going wide. Not sure about the overloading as much as just attacking our left side.
    Anyway if you want to see our defensive breakdowns (and who wouldn't, right?) I've identified who I think are the main culprits were and indicated their moments of glory from the highlight video below:

0:04 - NYRB's 1st goal due to poor marking by Rolf + Bingham reaction save fail.
    1:00 - Bingham beaten 1v1 but no goal due to correct offside call.
    2:10 - NYRB's 2nd goal due to JDS going wide to back up Traore (no problem there) but neither Lletget nor Pontius drop back to fill in and defend weak side (neither is even in frame) + Bingham kick-save fail.
    2:29 - NYRB's 3rd goal due to JDS and Lletget (especially Lletget) ball-watching and popcorn-eating as #7 strolls past them and enters the box completely unmarked. Neither Bingham nor Rolf cover themselves with glory when the shot is taken, but goal was not their fault. Completely on Seb and Jona imo.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-05-04-new-york-red-bulls-vs-la-galaxy/recap

Berks, 73Bruin, napper and 3 others repped this.
  24. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which bad call are you referring to, out of curiosity. I thought all the VAR calls were spot on. Unless I'm forgetting one.

25. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Personally I thought the offside goal call was wrong. The New York player is right in Bingham's field of vision. You can see Bingham leans to the right at first just to see around the player. Then when the player winds up the shot, Bingham has to take the guess that he will shoot to the side of the goal that Feltscher isn't covering.

Unfortunately it went in, but I definitely think that player impacted the play. Bingham pointed to his eye so I definitely think he was trying to saying he couldn't see because of the player which is impacting the play.

I mean if not, let's just have Pontius stand right in front of the goalie and see what happens.

napper, ShortyMac, shelbo and 1 other person repped this.