P/I/P Game 1: L.A. Galaxy v FC Dallas , SATURDAY 03/04/17, 1:00pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Feb 26, 2017.

1. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're working really hard to pin this on Lletget instead of Curt. Curt who put this roster together knowing that Garcia was our backup right fullback and that Rogers was having serious, even career threatening, injury problems. Curt who moved Lletget to fullback 70 minutes into the first game because the offense he put together was sputtering. Curt who has never had Lletget practice as a fullback. Curt who, with a simple shout, could have corrected any perception problems Lletget had about how he was supposed to operate in that position (ie, Lletget, you need to be playing higher! or Lletget, you're not getting involved enough in the attack!).

LEM-LAG, 73Bruin, StillKickin and 2 others repped this.
  2. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think it was the Corner of the Galaxy podcast where I heard that Lletget had a look on his face like "wtf?" when Ema told him to move back to RB. I guess it could work as Rogers did and bringing on an extra attacker in that position(down a goal late) isn't the worst idea. We used to wish Bruce would do it earlier in the game but, as @GalaxyKoa said, this should have been worked on in practice at least a bit.

3. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should it really matter? IMO, Lletget should have been ready. It's not like he is a newbie to the game of soccer or anything...

4. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, basically, yes, unless Curt gave him specific instructions to stay back, it was Lletget's fault. The coach can't kick the ball for him. It was obvious what Curt's thinking was: We are down a goal, so switch in an offensive player for a defender. Not too hard to figure.

Maybe it's a fair argument to say Curt is not vocal enough from the sidelines, so perhaps he could have told Lletget to push forward more. I didn't really pay much attention to that. Kind of basic stuff for a player to figure out, though.

5. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must have been a huge fan of Klinsmann's.

73Bruin, hav77, shelbo and 1 other person repped this.
  6. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not particularly. He was good about holding players accountable though.

7. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why this is such a difficult concept, even for average joe players all over the country, let alone a seasoned professional. When you are down a goal late, you push up on offense more... take some chances. Look at Jelle... he gets it.

L.A. Native repped this.
  8. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that is the opposite of what actually happened in this match. Onalfo took a good offensive player (Lletget) and placed him further from goal. He took off a forward we could play long to who is good in the air (McBean) and took off our DP attacker (Alessandrini). You seem determined to defend mediocrity for no good reason.

73Bruin repped this.
  9. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Great post. Agree with every point.

This is the reason I no longer listen to the podcast. It's too campy. They seem to tow the company line. It's like "the insider."

10. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Have you tried the Riot Squadcast? Much better, IMO.

11. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't help it if you don't get a simple concept. RB doesn't have to be a purely defensive position. Near the end of the game when down a goal, push forward. Call it RB, RM or whatever you want. Curt added an offensive player and took off a defender.

12. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I have not! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be listening to that soon.

13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boetang has fresh legs you want him to run at a very tired Dallas. Dallas was pinned back Lleget at RB can act like a deep midfielder which is what happened.

Curt did do something terribly wrong. It didn't hurt us and we had our most offensive moments at that point.

GalaxyOne repped this.
  14. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The concept of pushing for a goal is rather obvious. My issue is with the tactical execution as evidenced by not only its actual failure but also the predictability of said failure.

15. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But was it a failure? We had our most offensive impact and we did not get scored again. Yes we didnt score the tying goal but I dont think that was because of the switch.

GalaxyOne and MPNumber9 repped this.
  16. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the "idea" behind the formation switch when Boateng came in. I think it wasn't executed properly....

17. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, and that was Lletget's fault (unless someone can present evidence otherwise) :D. Someone needs to fill the boy in on basic late game soccer tactics.

18. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Jelle told Da Boy to stay back and babysit Steres so he could go out and play forward.

TrickHog repped this.
  19. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's usually the coach's job...since it's THAT coach's "late game soccer tactic" being implemented. Not all late game soccer tactics are the same. Each coach can have their own twist to it; therefore, each coach should be responsible in ensuring all players understand their role under that coach's tactic.

L.A. Native, hav77 and The Cadaver repped this.
  20. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm specifically talking about the decision to play Lletget at RB and the outcomes from that decision.

But none of that happened. Subbing Boateng was fairly (and predictably) successful. Too bad that also meant Lletget would have to stay home since he was asked to play on the opposite side that his coach was trying to advance the ball. It it was a good move, I think Onalfo wouldn't have to lie about the outcome.