P/I/P Francophone Opener v Montreal, 7 Jul 2018 5: 30 PM

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Stuart95, Jul 7, 2018.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'Celo, Richard, at some point the coach has to stop being unhappy about how deep players are sitting and do something about it. That's literally the description of his job.

fortcollins, jayd8888 and Sports Yak repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2 shots on the goal were the only shots of the game by the Rapids, despite being behind for 34+ minutes

COMtnGuy and Totoro repped this.
  3. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I was amazed by the statement too. Gee, why are they playing so far back?

4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Huh, Hairston cut his hair?

Sports Yak repped this.
  5. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Is there anyone, anyone, who thought when we replaced Pablo that we’d be coached more poorly? I didn’t think it was possible, but I’d welcome Pablo’s return. Nine guys back...sheesh.

sambakid17, 22SteveD, RapidStorm and 4 others repped this.
  6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    This is why Badji is the perfect Rapids forward. It's all he's never known as a pro: being a striker who has no hope of seeing the ball unless he outfights several larger defenders for an aerial, or if he outruns them, or if he's ready in the rare chance there's a loose ball in the box like tonight.

All these other guys they bring in, they've been elsewhere, they think they'll receive a pass from someone.

Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    The shot by Sjoberg and Badji off the rebound? How sad.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Pablo is looking genus, Pablo. Damn, Fernando would improve this lot in one week.

JasonMa and Sports Yak repped this.
  9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Can't find video that shows the buildup to the 1st Montreal goal, but Burgundy Wave says it resulted from another bad Howard pass:

Something bad happened, as Altitude was in a replay and quickly came back to show Silva and Taider with the ball at the top of the box.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They later showed a replay of Price going in for a tackle and the ball rebounding out to the Impact defender. No footage of the goal kick.

11. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the Montreal match, the Kroenke Line (PPG to win the Wooden Spoon based on an average of 26.85 points by the Wooden Spoon winner in the 34-game season era) currently sits at 0.87 PPG. The Rapids currently are at 0.83 PPG. Colorado sits in third place in the race for the Spoon, with D.C. United technically in first place by a point, and San Jose in second. D.C., however, still has three more games to play than San Jose, which makes SJ the team to beat.

Yep, back in the hunt for the Spoon!

AlbertCamus, Sports Yak and Andy126 repped this.
  12. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Rapids,

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee . . .

(with apologies to John Donne)

Sports Yak repped this.
  13. sambakid17

sambakid17 Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For the 45th time. Hairston isn’t hurt. But hey.

14. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, couldn’t watch much when I saw we had 4 CB’s in there, 1 was “playing Dmid”. Just Ugly, that was a lineup solely to try to not lose- zero chance to actually win.

I wonder if someone with KSE said to Smith, Hudson if you don’t stop this losing your fired and we will see you in court (paying with your own dime) to see another cent of your contract.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Quite the shocking first half. Common to see 10 players in the defensive 18. 10! Bolli being the only one not there and he was halfway back. It seriously looked like one of those offense v defense scrimmages we did during practice. Perhaps they are playing like they practice?

Can't comment on the 2nd half as we decided to take the dog out to play frisbee. She is no frisbee dog, but at least there is more hope she somehow learns those awesome skills than the Rapids are coached well.

I had said last week "I get parking the bus on that one game, but will be very annoyed if it continues". It continues, so I am annoyed.

rod.

Sports Yak, fortcollins and AlbertCamus repped this.
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  17. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched the two WC quarter final matches yesterday. At 5:00pm, reminded my wife about the Rapids' game. She had her fill of soccer for the day so I decided to skip it. Glad the memory of decent play was not spoiled by the amateurs from Colorado.

COMtnGuy, Andy126, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  18. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aw, c'mon guys, the Rapids Way of attacking play is perfectly compatible with two SOG in a game. Let's not have any of this overly wild offensive sell out like Pablo wanted, jeez, he wanted 6-8 nice dangerous counterattacks a game.......

In reality, I know it is hard to GM a soccer team, or any pro team ("the other team pays their players, too") but more irritating than the inept job we see so far, is the Kronke desire to dismantle promising combinations. Recall Patrick Roy, the Nuggets GM and COTY being dumped, then the Rapids Mooch, Smith, and Pablo, who's reign is increasingly satisfying in retrospect. The defense wasn't really that broken last year. It is now. Our offense is a just posted perfect for Badji to win his own balls without hope for service on any consistent basis.

"Ok boys, let's hope they give us more own goals than we give them" is our new battlecry. Boy, at least I like tailgating.

R

19. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That was the most pathetic first half’s I’ve ever watched. Playing 9 men in the box against a mid table MLS team. WTF

Sports Yak and Rod1916 repped this.
  20. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That is pretty much my situation except I kept the suggestion of watching the Rapids to myself. I gather from this thread it wasn't good.

21. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    5 centerbacks, I know it's tempting not to count Wynne, but since he's been a regular at centerback...

Looks like Wynne and Smith are the two guys who have played all the games (and seemingly all the minutes) so far.

Maarten van 242 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  22. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Scary thing--how are the Earthquakes behind the Rapids in the standings?

AlbertCamus, COMtnGuy and Sports Yak repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, AEG and not Kroenke fired Mooch.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  24. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, these are quotes from "no excuses" Hudson:
    • The airplane didn't work
    • Mommy and daddy took us on a long road trip
    • We didn't get to go out and play all day
    • We made a couple boo-boos
    • It was a terrible, awful bad week
    • I wanna go home
    • Some of my friends got grounded and couldn't play
    • waaaaaaaa! waaaaaaa!
    [​IMG]

AlbertCamus, COMtnGuy and Sports Yak repped this.
  25. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose really is as bad as their record. They can't hold possession. They have a back line as shaky as Colorado's. They have a rookie keeper who is early on a huge learning curve and having a hard time adjusting to the speed of the MLS. Wondolowski can't score without the ball, and nobody seems capable of putting the ball at his feet.