P/I/P DC United @ Revs, 6/30, 7:30pm [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Jun 18, 2018.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It's not polite to interrupt. ;)

teskicks and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In retrospect I should've changed the thread title to World Cup talk or something. It is a little early to chat about a regular season match against the worst team in the league.

3. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, we're just discussing the warm-up acts.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a nice part of the country! Unlike you, I lived in a modest 2-story flat on Rue Berckmans in St. Gilles, off Chausee de Charleroi. It had a nice wooden spiral staircase and it went for about 20% of what a similar place in Boston would have cost. Plus, I used to get an allotment for "Cheque Repas" every month, which was just my beer money. Not that you needed that, since a draft in a pub cost 30BF (about 65 cents) and the good stuff in a bottle might set you back about $1.50!

firstshirt repped this.
  5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I've set up a thread to continue this. Please use that for WC talk going forward.

6. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    That did it. Now were doomed. We tie or lose

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually worked few days a week in Charleroi! The rest of the time I was in Florennes. When I was there the BF was like 65 francs to a dollar and Jupiler ran you 20bf. You could go to a pub and get trashed on 5 dollars and still have money for une grande frite avec andalouse

ToMhIlL repped this.
  8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugly but I'll take the three points

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely a gritty, hard fought win but there's no extra points for style. Vital 3 points against a team who will be boosted by home games and Rooney during the second half. With some timely goals and a bit of luck, they could make a sprint up the standings in the east by taking points off many of the teams ahead of them. That bodes well for the revs as they need help keeping Philly, Montreal and Orlando in their rearview.

Credit to DC for making it tough although you can't fault Turner on either of their goals. Thankfully Bunbury bagged the second right before the half to give the revs a lead to protect, which they did for awhile. Of course, Friedel was furious with how the revs played in the first half, so it was good to see a response after the half.

This game underscores how important Penilla is to the revs. He should definitely be an all star but doesn't get the publicity he deserves leaguewide.

12. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC makes it tough because we are not very good. Our overall talent level is too low and I'll be shocked if the Revs sign any help this summer.
    This was the worst team in the league and we struggled to get the win. Brad is starting to sound like Heaps a bit. "Players aren't doing what we've worked on" but he has few options off the bench. If we had a better roster, Brad could sit down people that aren't following his game plan but he can't. This is not a winning roster and without help .... we may make the playoffs and we'll win some, lose some..... but we're going nowhere in the end.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    - loved the quick-strike goal: what an outlet by Turner, equally impressive hold-up by Nemeth.

- sorry to see Nemeth get pulled, I thought he was having his best game yet as a Rev. And, in his place, Agudelo once again gets nothing done.

- Rowe was in rhythm, playing as well as he has all season

- OTOH, the big guys, Zahibo and Dielna, looked clumsy and lacked timing

- finally some real, productive runs for Farrell and what a difference it makes!

- Turner is just expected to stop everything he should and then a few he shouldn't every game.

- equally, Caicedo is just expected to zip all around the defensive midfield and steal passes, break up plays, whatever needs to be done.

- pretty atrocious reff'ing IMO. Bought every dive DC made. The PK call was really soft - and then DC (Mattocks in particular) had the nerve to go all bonkers on a call that was a lot more clear than the one they got ...

- bully Bunbury created a goal out of nothing! Most of his goals have been from benefiting from great setups, but on that one, he had to do the work.

- Asad is clearly one of the most annoying players in a while. Who does he think he is, Neymar?

Jon Martin repped this.
  14. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Agreed, pulling Nemeth was quite a puzzler. A lot of composure, and actual results.

I'd hate to think that there is some sort of "even though you are our best player today, and even though you are the main reason we are winning, you only get half a game because you didn't run hard enough in practice last Tuesday" thing going on.

15. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Maybe with a 2-1 lead Friedel wanted to go with Agudelo because he thinks he brings more on defense than Nemeth? Maybe Nemeth picked up a small knock? Who knows why he got yanked, but I certainly agree he played a fine match

Reading a bit into Brad's post match comments, he didnt like what he was seeing on the pitch and felt he needed to make a change. It wouldn't surprise me if he made a switch just to make one, and Rowe and Agudelo are the only 2 guys on the bench he trusts

16. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that it was a double-switch at the half suggests there was a real "sending a message" aspect to the substitutions.

17. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I sympathize. I thought we looked appalling in the first half.

18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post, agree with a lot. On Rowe, he is so frustrating to watch because you know the talent is there, but the end product is lacking. For example, he had 3 or 4 chances to score against DC but either kicked it way over or wide. He never seems to be able to shoot on-frame. If he improves that, he would be more likely to get call ups.

As for Agudelo coming on I thought that was interesting. Nemeth doesn't score which is frustrating, although his movement off the ball is good. Agudelo needs to work hard to win back a starting job, which is something I love about Friedel.