P/I/P DC United @ Revs, 6/30, 7:30pm [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Jun 18, 2018.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it's still a couple weeks away, the match against DC kicks off an important stretch of the season, being the first of 3 winnable home games.

The revs NEED to get at least 7 of 9 points from these home games if they are to keep pace in the east and stay above the line.

After a rough start DC is dead last in the east sitting on 10 pts. However, they come into this match having earned a road point in a 4-4 draw at TFC after squandering a 3-0 lead. The revs need to starve service to Mattocks, who has 7 goals on the year, while Acosta leads them in assists.

This is a very winnable game - I'm going with 3-2 revs.

2. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My friend, the World Cup won't watch itself, you know!

Jon Martin repped this.
  3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been watching it but without a dog in the fight, it's not the same. It's just a reminder the world is throwing a month long party in Russia and the US isn't invited.

4. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I watched Egypt play, and left wondering if the revs could sign any of the guys playing in SA/egypt during the summer window

5. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s more like we (and when I say we, I mostly mean Arena) threw up all over the invitation. But yeah, it’s a hard one to get into. I find myself mostly hoping for a Cinderella story to root for later in the tourney.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's tough without the Yew-Ess involved, but it still has been a pretty entertaining Cup so far. Lots of unexpected results, and even a lot of the ones that weren't upsets were entertaining games, like Spain-Portugal, England-Tunisia, Brazil-Switzerland (OK that you could call an upset).

I used to live in Belgium years ago and used to go see them at Heysel when they wore argyle jerseys similar to their current kit, so I do have a dog in this fight, but the World Cup is always a great showcase, and is by far, the greatest sporting event on planet earth, no matter who is playing.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lame. Why not Caldwell or Tierney? They’ve done their time. And even if they’re too fringe to the team this year (not saying they are, just that might be the logic, and Tierney’s injury would’ve happened post-bobble decision), they could have gone throwback. A Joe-Max or Nicol or Ralston bobblehead would rock.

teskicks repped this.
  9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm all in on Mexico. After watching them against Germany, I just love their spirit, their skill and their mindset.

10. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much do you love Rafa Marquez?

11. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Somewhere on the scale of love between Michael Bradley and Adolf Hitler

BrianLBI repped this.
  12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly why I can't root for Mexico. F him and every single thing about him.

eric_appleby and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  13. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved watching that game. I can’t ever root for Germany (Torsten Frings, team too dominant for too long, etc.)
    But all in? You, you... you Landon, you!!! LOL

Watching Panama I couldn’t stop saying to myself, «this team is better than the US? ». So humiliating but until the next Hex, we can’t say different.

propnut27 repped this.
  14. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though in fairness, Belgium is a very, very good team. They'll go far in this tournament .

15. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Iceland, Iceland baby!

Seriously. There are a lot of teams that one could root for. Like Bob, I like Mexico. Senegal is entertaining, and would be worth supporting for their supporters section alone. South Korea is my wife's family's team. I will miss Egypt. By contrast, I am put off by Sweden, who seem to be the most cynical team of the tournament.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought the Swiss were pretty cynical against Brazil as well.

Anyway, back to topic. DC's struggled on the road (which is going to happen when you've played 10 of 12 on the road), but they already matched our total road point total for last year. So you know, they've got that going for them.

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact they were up 3-0 at TFC and lost that entirely, in a condensed period of time, has to mess with their confidence. It shows no lead is safe for them. I like the revs' chances at home in this one.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may very well be right about the Revs chances at home, but I don't think a game played 2.5 weeks prior is going to affect DC's confidence. Now if they're up 3-1 and the Revs score, yes, it could hit their minds. But outside of that, the TFC game won't have any effect.

DC does play in the USOC tonight.

19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I picked Germany to lose or tie this game. As a fan of German Soccer they seem to have one stinker in the first round. I predicted this would be theirs. Should they place Second in the group heaven help they team they play in the rd of 16

20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a place in my heart for Belgium. I lived there for a year and my daughter was born in Mons at Shape Headquarters

ToMhIlL repped this.
  21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allez les Diables Rouges! Ga de Rode Duivels!

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yeah, guilty. But, they played a really, smart exciting game. Most of all, I'm looking for entertainment (all 3 of Monday's games were snoozers for me) and Mexico delivered, big time.
    I was thinking the same - this should have been our spot. But, no one to blame but ourselves.
    I like Iceland's story - and they are for real. I just don't think their style is much fun to watch.

I'm as big a Messi fan as there is - and I want him to win it. But, his best chance was last time and they'll have to improve a lot just to be in contention.

Spain was really impressive (and fun) in fighting through what I thought were 3 tainted goals (a goalie muff, a soft PK and a disgraceful dive by Ronaldo to set up the tier - if FIFA had any cojones, Ronaldo would be suspended for today's game!).
    If you're going to upset a giant, the first game in is the best chance to do it!

23. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And another flagrant dive and appeal for a PK in today's game. Geiger really should have booked him. I know this bothers me way more than it should, but if you're inarguably one of the best players in the world, why on God's green earth are you diving? That's bush-league stuff for players who haven't got anything else to offer. It's an enduring stain on his career.

rkupp repped this.
  24. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does this discussion have to do with the upcoming DC game?

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oui gagner la coupe du monde! I love that country. I woke up just about every morning and had a tea and croissant on the front porch over looking the Meuse. had one of these Chalets https://www.booking.com/hotel/be/landal-les-etoiles.html Best frites in the world

ToMhIlL repped this.