PBP: P/I/P-Black Double Diamond match #5 Rapids vs. Houston/Telluride Dynamo Saturday 7pm at the Dick's

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Riccardo55, Mar 29, 2019.

?

Have you skied Gold Hill?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2019.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh, too much truth there.
    The League also recycles fired coaches, so we could get a re-tread still under an MLS contract.

2. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if it's Casey Conor though... I have my doubts about the other one.

JasonMa and RapidStorm repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coaches are signed with their teams, not with MLS (unlike players).

COMtnGuy, Soaker888 and 22SteveD repped this.
  4. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I saw this a lot in Dallas as well. A number of times the ball would move from near offensive goal back to the back line or even Howard. It got to the point where the wife and I were joking about how the defenders must get paid by the touch.

Hate that kind of crap. And it doesn't seem to be the way we "want" to play (per RFO comments).

Sports Yak and Andy126 repped this.
  5. sambakid17

sambakid17 Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lol I really wish hairston would’ve scored to put the icing on the cake. Hudson is the problem. Tried to express last season. Welp. ☺️

Andy126 repped this.
  6. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Some random thoughts:

• Worse game I have seen in a LONG time.
    • Hudson is NOT smarter than everyone else. Price is a Pablo-esque defensive mid. Let him do what he does. A few yellow cards is a small price to pay for shutting down that trailing runner.
    • As much as I like Bassett, he should not have been starting over Acosta. Message sent. Just not the message Hudson probably wanted sent. (message ended up being "we suck if we don't play our best players)
    • Having said that, Acosta needs to pass rather than "be the hero". I remember one play he was going in full force to 3 players when he could have easily passed to 2 wide open Rapid players. Give-and-go type of thing would have likely resulted in a shot.
    • Passing and receiving passes was horrid. So many times the ball would get to someone and bounce 3-5 fee off. Enough to break up the flow of play and/or let Houston have a chance to break up.
    • Whining to the ref will not work. It only leads to frustration. The reffing wasn't *that* bad last night, no way the ref lost the game. Our player's reaction to some pushing and shoving made it a problem. (Note: when I played many years ago, it was widely known that the SECOND person to do something gets caught. First grabs the ref's attention, second is seen. We ALL knew to wait 5 mins and get our revenge then. Hard to believe this wouldn't be known now).
    • I had this game as my standard game. All the other games were either "weird" (Portland) or seriously good teams we might not compete with anyway (everyone). Houston is not a horrible team, but one we should be able to beat at home. I now view the season as likely lost (again) and find my patience with Hudson done.
    • Hudson's post game remarks were horrible. He isn't wrong to apologize (such as it was), but I don't want to see "the players need to be brave" and "we played better in the second half". You got your a$$ beat and we did NOT look better in the second half. Frankly, when Houston was up by multiple goals we should have been teeing off on their goal (since they could have bunkered). We couldn't even get momentum at that point, which is just sad.
    Sorry for some of the ranting and the long post. I am fired up after that game and see a significant drop in play over the season. Coaches make teams better over the season, our coach makes us worse. Dangit.

rod.

ogre1976, Riccardo55, 22SteveD and 3 others repped this.
  7. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Well, Feilhaber was actually at LAFC last year, but your general point remains.

Why did Hudson change Feilhaber's position to a #10 last night, and a #6 in all games after the first game, when he played so well and made an impact as a #8 in the first game?

ogre1976, JasonMa and 22SteveD repped this.
  8. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I have already missed watching as many games this season as I did last season. Highlights I see are making it look like 2018 again. It’s hard to be this consistently bad even if that’s what you are trying for.

COMtnGuy and Andy126 repped this.
  9. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Damn coach, when will he stop teaching own goals? Rubio and Kai are decent players, the midfield and defense are sub MLS (except maybe San Jose) hence the ineffectiveness of the Forwards. Feilhaber is a shell of his former self. Price is a lightweight with almost no offensive presence. Acosta is okay when surrounded by very good players. He is not a play maker or a consistent offensive threat.

Damn coach. I'm not defending him, just trying ensure everyone gets "the credit".

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, if Rosenberry and Sjoberg don't play those balls their are Houston attackers waiting for the tap-ins, so they're going to be scored either way.

11. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Still a chance they could miss. Not saying they would, but it could happen. Just ask Badji. Or many of the Rapids.

COMtnGuy, JasonMa and Andy126 repped this.
  12. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Btw, I did forget to post the real reason We lost.

Jason did not sit in his normal seat and I wore a new hat. That must be the reason.....

COMtnGuy, JasonMa and Riccardo55 repped this.
  13. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read through the thread. I hadn't even checked the score. My girlfriend and her family and I decided to watch the Rockies- Marlins rather than the Rapids. Even though the Rockies lost, I think we made a wise choice.

I'm actually glad that the Rapids are permanently blocked for us on ESPN- (yes, that's a minus). People shouldn't be exposed to something this gruesome.

At least Hudson didn't try to offer "Well, Rapids players scored 3 goals and Houston players only got 2" as his silver lining garbage.

1. I stand by my comments that the back line is a train wreck. (Not that the midfield is any less of a train wreck.)
    2. #HudsonOut. No reason to let this open sore fester any longer.
    3. Sam Allardyce just put in to become India's national team manager. If he doesn't get that gig, the Rapids should call his agent. At least he knows how to turn around relegation-level clubs, and that's what the Rapids are. Again.
    4. Bobby Houghton was a better coach than Anthony Hudson. There, I finally said it. And yes, I saw the Rapids during Houghton's most-of-a-season fiasco. At least that team was entertainingly awful, and not just awful.
    5. The Rapids are becoming the graveyard of once-decent players. Part of that is the players. Part of that is coaching. All of that is a perpetually USL-level substitute for supposedly professional soccer.
    6. There is now zero chance of me buying season tickets for 2020. Frankly, I wouldn't waste the gas to see these Rapids if the RFO gave me free tickets.
    7. The Bodmer line is now 1.414 PPG. [Insert laugh track here.]
    8. Thanks to San Jose, the Kroenke Line is still 0.000 PPG.
    9. The rest of the Western Conference should be delighted at the in-season bye weeks when Colorado is on the schedule.
    10. At least the remaining fans won't have to watch Smith next match.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy and Soaker888 repped this.
  15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet those kiddos have a better coach......

16. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Yes I noticed that and you left out the best part -- after all that they hoofed it downfield into a 50/50 situation, not even to an open Rapids player after enough time for at least one of them to run off the ball to the locker room and back.

Andy126 repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado features twice in this week's VAR recap, once for the Feilhaber yellow and once for the Smith red. The video of the Smith red is really interesting if you want to know how VAR analyzes a play, you can see all the views and what they're zooming in on.

http://proreferees.com/2019/04/05/the-definitive-angle-mls-week-5/

fortcollins, Totoro and Dom. FC repped this.