PBP: P/I/P-Black Double Diamond match #5 Rapids vs. Houston/Telluride Dynamo Saturday 7pm at the Dick's

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Riccardo55, Mar 29, 2019.

?

Have you skied Gold Hill?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2019.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta's free kick directly into the keeper's hands. Probably our last chance to try to get something out of this match.

2. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Acosta replaces Serna.

Elis makes him look silly too.

4-0.

Sports Yak and SccrDon repped this.
  3. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kamara hits the PK off a ridiculous handling penalty by Figueroa. 1-4

4. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Well, at least we didn’t get shut out.

5. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Well, at least we won’t have to see Smith start in the next game...

22SteveD and zapem_10 repped this.
  6. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too late for the MLS 10-man advantage to save us.

I'll say it again - man, we stink.

MrPerfectNot, Andy126, JasonMa and 3 others repped this.
  7. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just going to leave this here:

#HudsonOut

22SteveD, Andy126, Totoro and 1 other person repped this.
  8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for Hudson to go. The clock has struck midnight. This team has his footprint. These are the players he brought in. Yet, it’s the same result, the same lackluster play, poor tactics, and same stubbornness. It’s time. The decision has to be made. This cannot continue.

22SteveD, Andy126, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Bring back Pablo?

10. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So poorly coached. Hudson wants “total football,” where each player can play every position? I’d like each player to know their best position.

Wow, Serna got smoked. And Bassett was no help above him. The duo playing together was a disaster.

I got so sick of Rubio’s whining. He doesn’t understand it hurts the team. They all start whining instead of concentrating. He’s screaming at the official about an small forearm to the head—which was away from the ball so the ref didn't see it—and VAR shows it was minor at best. Get over it.

Houston was very good. They pass the ball much better than the Rapids.

Rod1916, zapem_10, rapidogordo and 4 others repped this.
  11. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    One of two things will have to happen before I watch another Rapids game.

Either Hudson gets fired or the Rapids win two game in a row.

Andy126 repped this.
  12. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I wish we were that good!

Well, this game should remove the doubt. The 2018 Rapids are back.

That was unbelievably pathetic. Serna was getting worked, but then why leave him and the team unchanged to just allow Elis to torch the left side of the D over and over?

I agree about Rubio. He's working hard and drawing contact but no one's going to be convinced by rolling on the ground five times. It just gets you a reputation and you'll get fewer calls.

Sad that Kamara out on the wing to send crosses in is their best option, because he's not fast enough to then run back into the box to get under his own cross, seeing as how he's their best threat on aerials.

zapem_10 and JasonMa repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last week I thought Hudson out was too early. This week I'm fully on that bandwagon. There's not a better game for us to win for a month after tonight. And we looked like we didn't even belong on the field. Vancouver May 3rd might be our first win of the season now (@ORL, SEA on short rest, DC on short rest, @CHI, @ATL, VAN).

This team is out of the playoff discussion in March essentially, unless a coaching change with an actual coaching hire (not just handing the reins to Casey until the end of the season) or a major player signing happens.

22SteveD, Rod1916, zapem_10 and 4 others repped this.
  14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    All the goals allowed were painful and pathetic but the 4th was especially so. I was wondering how Elis was so wide open for such a simple pass to spring him in the box.

Tomas Martinez was on the Rapids right touchline being challenged by Mesquida. Feilhaber runs over to double team and and I guess steal the ball and somehow *both* players end up on the outside of Martinez and neither gets the tackle. Martinez makes a beeline for the center of the pitch. Meanwhile, Price goes jogging up also from the D's right, behind Martinez. The middle is wide open and welcome.

So Smith has to step up and Elis runs right into his space. Acosta and Sjoberg are too slow to react.

Unbelievable.

15. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Just......a truly embarrassing performance all around. Where to start?

I honestly had no issues with the own goals. If Ax and Rosenberry didn’t make SOME attempt on the well played crosses, Houston had tap-ins on both goals. Those goals were scored when the entire Rapids defense collectively decided to not close anyone down in the box, which inevitably put the last defender standing in a terrible position. Don’t fault Axel or Keagan for either of those.

Here’s what I refuse to believe: I refuse to believe...

- that all-of-a-sudden Kamara and Rubio both forgot how to score goals

- that all-of-a-sudden Benny, Acosta and Jack Price became completely ineffective midfielders

- that all-of-a-sudden former all-star level defenders Axel Sjoberg and Keagan Rosenberry completely forgot how to defend...

There is no way that an entire team of proven MLS players decided to simultaneously sh*t the bed. What makes WAY more sense is that they’re being put in predictable and poor tactical situations, handcuffed with a system that isn’t working and a coach that is incapable of making necessary adjustments and is getting ROUTINELY out-coached.

It is just so hard to watch. Rubio and Kamara NEVER get the ball in dangerous spots through the run of play. There is no coherent attack.

Did anyone else notice the sequence in the first 5 minutes where Axel and Smith traded the ball back-and-forth 7-8 times? It was hilarious. It was a microcosm of the issues with this team. No one seems to know exactly where to go with the ball so they kind of just make it up as they go, even if it means the two CB’s trade 7 consecutive passes with zero forward movement. “I don’t know what to do with it, you take it.”

With a mounting list of negatives (worst losing streak in team history, worst ppg in team history, embarrassing performance after embarrassing performance) and virtually no tangible positives to point to Hudson is going to become more and more difficult for this front office to defend.

We have now moved past the point where the talk of building “culture” supersedes the need for actual results. Hudson’s seat should be fully warming up at this point. And with 2 out of our next 3 games against Seattle and DC, this hole we’re digging ourselves is only likely to get deeper.

16. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    And they're not just horrible, they are petty and undisciplined. Rubio rolls around like every foul mortally wounds him, but his yellow was one of those stupid kick the guy's heels when he gets past deals.

And Smith, WTF. Playing too much Street Fighter or something.

Sports Yak, JasonMa and Andy126 repped this.
  17. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Oof.

2018 defending.

At least we looked decent on the attack. 2 post/crossbar hits and a near beauty by basset. Could’ve been 4-3 or 4-4. But again..

2018 defending.

Hudson. My man. Give your players some help.

Basset didn’t do Serna any favors on defense all game. Don’t get me wrong, I really like what Bassett brings. But not on defensive coverage.

And whoever was playing the 6 (seemed to change far too often) never covered for smith and Sjoberg. I’d take tommy smith over Bobby burling, but at least when burling played Sam Cronin did a great job covering as the 6. Nobody covers as the 6 any more on this team.

Feilhaber who? Looks like a shell of his former self.

Anyways. 2018 defending.

Oof.

Sports Yak and Andy126 repped this.
  18. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    If you wanna look at the bright side, I’ll leave you the following bullet points:

At least we salvaged a goal and didn’t lose this weekend like:
    4-0 (NYCFC to Toronto)
    5-0 (Quakes to LAFC)
    7-1 (Montreal to SKC)

Also, we’re not 4 losses in 4 games like San Jose - and they’re a much bigger train wreck then we are, with a better “on paper” coach in Almeyda

Finally, we’ve got as many points as the reigning MLS cup champs.

So yeah. We suck right now. And so does the rest of the bottom of the table :whistling:

JasonMa repped this.
  19. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    When Feilhaber trod dejectedly off the pitch when subbed out, I was thinking of the Little Bill Daggett character from Unforgiven. Last year he was with SporKS, good team, stadium full of life. Now he's playng in the freezing cold on a sorry team.

"I don't deserve this...I was building a house."

Sports Yak, Andy126 and Bridgeman repped this.
  20. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    #45 Andy126, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    My fear is that we begin to use that as the proverbial “pat on the back.”

“Yeah we’re 7th place. But at least that means we aren’t 8th or 9th place!”

In my opinion, Padraig Smith has built a roster that deserves a better record than they currently have. If ownership and the front office are signing quality players, and the results aren’t translating on the field, at some point that’s on the coach.

22SteveD, Rod1916, TheWarmBurger and 2 others repped this.
  21. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Ready for the Casey Conor era to begin.

22SteveD and spot repped this.
  22. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This is how I feel. Hudson must go immediately if the season is to see any salvage-ability.

Andy126, JasonMa and zapem_10 repped this.
  23. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I struggle with this all the time....yes, we have a new slate of players who need some time, we had a couple good games (draws, close loss), but "the Rapids Way" which I admit to have mocked a bit when our *best* ever regular season w/ Pablo was torn down for the Rapids way, which is now in it's third (second full) season. Yes, as point out by regulars on this thread, they did spend some money pre-season.

2016 15-6-13 Beat LA in Playoffs, lost to MLS Champ Seattle
    2017 9-19-6. Yes 19 losses! (mid season, "The Rapids Way")
    2018 8-19-7 Yes 19 losses again!!!
    2019 0-3-2. On course to being even worse than 2017/2018

Back in 2001 we had 5 wins, 2017 and 2018 are next worse

Now I do not claim to be a soccer savant, but has anyone actually seen any identity that we can point at as the Rapids Way? Under Pablo, Cronin/Bunch, we were very difficult to break down. We could counter and score when needed....Now anyone's dog can break us down (see last night). This has not resulted in a devastating Rapids offense juggernaut unless I am missing something.

Yes, I know before 2016 the Pablo reign was also poor, but our squad was not competitive until 2016. 2017 we dismantled that squad (and coach) and took a lot of injuries. So Yes, I think it is time for Hudson to move to the hot seat as there is *no*trajectory of the Rapids Way except down. I'll wait to see April's results, but I expect they'll limp in at 1-6-3.

If so, Shit. Fire them all, start over.

R

Sports Yak and AlbertCamus repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think giving Casey the interim tag (or even making him head coach) gets this team into playoff contention.

25. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We give players new to the MLS a chance to see if they can adapt to the style of play, travel, climate, etc - they either do so and become productive or they leave the league (or go to the Rapids, sorry, couldn't resist). So applying the same to a coach, it appears that Hudson doesn't have the ability to adapt to the MLS. He can't be sent to the Rapids as he's already here.

So, #HudsonOut

Replacement? Casey as interim, but need an experienced hand.

Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.