P/I/P Black diamond run #9 Rapids @ Chicago Sting/Fire United Bridgeviewers, Sat 11AM

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    On another note, I wrote before the game that I thought Sjoberg needed to play. I know he has made a mistake a game, often costing the game. But the Smith (ugh) and Opare (double ugh) pairing is inept.

I still remember the Sjoberg/Burling tandem getting the job done. Ford was an adequate third with injuries and/or red cards. The only way this defense is going to work is if Sjoberg plays to his ability. It may or may not happen, but it’s the only hope. Smith and Opare can’t play.

Rod1916 and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Yeah, how is this possible with professionals. I get that shape matters and problems there will cause guys to get pulled out of position and other teams can exploit that, like the Houston game. But in this game they couldn't react to simple runs through the line, or passing off Katai cutting in from the wing for a shot. If you're that confused by a forward with the ball within 25 yards of goal, at least kick him in the shin and stop the play.

JasonMa and fortcollins repped this.
  3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Also wonder why Acosta was pulled. I didn't notice if he was struggling with a knock or if he was having a bad game. Someone noted in the previous game it seemed he was active and helping in the d-mid role.

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not see the game due to coaching duties. I’ve seen the score line. Do I even need to bother watching? Or should I just go ahead and say fire Hudson’s ass immediately?

ogre1976 and Sports Yak repped this.
  5. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    No need to watch the game. Unless you enjoy watching our pourous defense continue to be pourous.

It was nice to see the rapids score tho. Their goalkeeper punched the ball right into Kamaras head which then fell into the goal. We had that going for us

And yes. That was the lone highlight I could say the rapids actually had. The goalkeeper clearing a ball to our striker who’s already midair.

fortcollins and Sports Yak repped this.
  6. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a tough assignment. Three of back line have to chase him from behind and catch him first, while the fourth watches from the goal line to keep him onside.

7. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated to reflect today's MLS match results:

Kroenke Line: (maximum points that can be earned to win the average Wooden Spoon at just over 26 points): League and Rapids: 0.923 PPG.

Rapids: 0-6-2, 0.250 PPG.

Oh, yes, we are indeed #1 again. Wooo-hoooo!!!!

[​IMG]

8. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta went down fairly shortly before halftime (around 38' to 40' IIRC). He was off the ball and seemed to twist his leg or ankle when he was making a cut. He got back up quickly, but didn't look right after that.

JasonMa and Totoro repped this.
  9. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Anyone doing the airplane ad thing this year?
    Maybe brown bags with eye holes?

It’s time Kroenke takes his team seriously and decides whether or not he is onboard in treating his team as if they are in a top league.

I thought MLS was aspiring to be one of the elite leagues. We need owners who believe that it can be done but it looks like the Rapids are in some bush league by the way KSE treats them.

[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

10. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    You should watch. You had to watch Notre Dames roof when it met the fire, right? Well as pointed out here, our defense is the same, and different. Notre Dames roof lasted 800 years and withstood countless pressures before succumbing to fire; whereas our defense has fallen to Timbers, Sounders, sporting, burns, dynamos, city’s, and united’s, before collapsing yet even grander to the fire. It’s terrible but it’s something to see.

11. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I kept a huge collection of solar glasses from the eclipse. They’re really dark and you can’t see anything.

22SteveD repped this.
  12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...eilhaber-lay-bare-rapids-lack-quality-defense

Benny shares his thoughts....

13. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    I’ve said this elsewhere, but I’m really hung up on this... Hudson doesn’t hesitate in calling out each and every one of his individual defenders as continually making game-changing (losing) mistakes. However, if these players are so bad (per Hudson), how is it that Tommy Smith was a very solid defender at Ipswich Town? How is it that Rosenberry was a very solid defender at Philly? How is it that Opare was a solid defender DCU? How is it that Axel was a very solid defender under Pablo? etc. so, Anthony, is it just a crazy coincidence that they all simultaneously dropped in their individual skills and soccer smarts in the past year?

Or, Anthony, maybe just maybe there’s a MAJOR problem with: 1. the system you are employing? OR 2. you are not effectively or properly instructing them on where to be when and what to do where?

I’m having a very hard time accepting the player blame game. Now it applies to the defenders. Last year it applied to many on the offense... Gashi included.

I really do think Hudson is a player career killer. The evidence is stacking higher.

TheWarmBurger, Sports Yak and Rod1916 repped this.
  14. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This right here is why my optimism about the Rapids's strong academy output (and it is very good compared to most MLS teams) always takes a serious hit when I remember what the kiddos' short-term experience is gonna be.

15. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I totally agree. I have a hard time ever blaming players unless they are just milking teams like Freddy Adu did. Most players give it there all but when they are constantly played out of position and have a coach who doesn’t see each players potential and builds a team that takes advantage of that you get the Rapids. This team is very talented and should be winning but they aren’t.

There are some coaches like Bob Bradley that have a talent for bringing average players together to form a powerful team and Hudson is the opposite.

I believe the Rapids would be better served if Hudson were let go and not replaced. Let the team play under the current assistants until the off season then do a reassessment . They will play better without Hudson around. He is a cancer to this teams chemistry and it has become painfully obvious.

Rod1916 and Maarten van 242 repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember that outside of Casey, all the assistants are from the Hudson tree. Letting Hudson go is likely turning the reins over to Casey and either a minimal and/or unhappy staff.

Not that we shouldn’t do that, just pointing out what that means.

COMtnGuy and Andy126 repped this.
  17. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I think about Hudson's failure, it seems to boil down to three specifics.

First, he is a poor judge of talent. That shows itself in three ways.
    1. He seriously underestimated the talent level in the MLS. He assumed that the MLS was still in 1.0 or 2.0 mode, and viewed it as a "kiddie league" of sorts. This led to his belief that, with his contacts, he could bring in players who would succeed in the MLS and make his team a winner.
    2. He seriously overestimated the talent he thought could succeed in the MLS. Price, Smith, Wilson, and Wynne are several notches below the international talent on most MLS teams (possibly all MLS teams). Hudson saw them perform against what he thought was the equivalent of the MLS, and assumed they could do so. Price is overmatched, and a card collector. Smith is a ball-watcher on defense. Wilson is pretty much meh. Wynne can't cut it in the MLS.
    3. He still doesn't grasp the speed and athleticism of opposing players, and seems to think that practice pitch heroes can handle opponents as well as they can handle teammates.
    Second, he realizes (now) the hash he has made of things, but doesn't understand how to fix it.
    1. Even Hudson has to grasp that what he is doing not only isn't working, but is in a death spiral. He has to see the defensive failures and how badly overmatched the Rapids are against the full spectrum of MLS teams.
    2. Hudson desperately wants to use "Total Football" to compensate for the disaster. The problem is that using players out of position to plug the gaping holes also destroys the team's ability to attack consistently. It's a zero-sum game: don't defend or don't attack. He simply doesn't have the talent on the pitch to do what he wishes could be done, and that is directly on him for building a team filled with overrated players. He made the mess, and can't clean up the mess.
    3. “If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.” ― Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Third, he is badly overmatched by the other coaches, and lacks tactical talent to adjust to the opposing teams.
    1. There is an old saying that generals always are preparing to fight the last war. Hudson certainly watches lots of game video. He has to be able to see what those teams have done. He seems to lack the ability to forecast what they will do against his Rapids. The team looks unprepared or poorly prepared match after match.
    2. The second half collapses are not the result of poor conditioning, elevation, weather, or any other excuse from Hudson's excuse factory. They are the result of Hudson's tactical entropy. He is slow to realize the halftime adjustments made by other teams, and uncertain how to respond. He does not make timely adjustments and does not seem to be able to think quickly.
    Just some thoughts on the day after the latest disaster and six days before the next disaster.

18. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    I don’t agree with all points (mainly about player talent), but this is a good synopsis of some interesting observations and thoughts. Thanks.

The irony is that Anthony undoubtably viewed MLS as his stepping stone to bigger leagues in Europe. His agent even expressed interest in that Sunderland gig (likely after taking Rapids job). Yet, by all metrics and measures, Anthony slipped on that stepping stone and fell ass over tits into the river... for the reasons you listed, among others reasons.

He hit his Peter Principle. And we are ALL paying the price for his gross miscalculation... well, and Padraig’s.

Andy126 repped this.
  19. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Props to Benny for calling out the players.

kucsdat and JasonMa repped this.
  20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a little birdie tell me the Rapids have scheduled a press conference for 10:30 this morning. Hudson is gone. Then I woke and realized that was a damn dream! Ugh. Sigh............ if i'm dreaming of the Rapids and their issues.......

A) I am way more invested in this season than I should be
    B) The Rapids really are f***ed
    C) I need to sort out my own issues and have better dreams

21. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Damn you! ;-) After reading the first two sentences in your post, I ran outside with blaring trumpets, airhorns, and popping champagne bottles... only to return to read the next few sentences.

Depression sets in.

Quinn 33, m vann and COMtnGuy repped this.
  22. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    They are so bad it is sort of compelling. And the games goals in them at least.

m vann repped this.
  23. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you accidentally a word there, in the same vein of the Rapids accidentally a goal *every* game.

SccrDon and AlbertCamus repped this.
  24. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    10:00am passed by. Nothing. 12:00 passed by. Nothing.
    Still no press Rapids conference.

Shoot me now.

Actually, there's no need to shoot me now. Surely I'll suffocate under the massive weight of Padraig's silence and inaction.